Author Topic: Web Hosting assistance  (Read 6259 times)

dinnerroll

• View Profile
Web Hosting assistance
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »
k so i'm looking to set up some stuff, and i need to buy a web hosting plan or whatever. whats with these sites that say they have unlimited space and bandwidth for like $5.00 per month? like these guys: http://www.startlogic.com/startlogic/hosting.bml  I can't see anywhere where it says in exchange for the space they put ungodly amounts of ads on your site or whatever. would someone mind explaining what the deal is, and basically tell me what i should buy? Probably not more than $20 per month would be great. I would also like to be able to host whatever i want in terms of media. I think I've seen some stuff that limits you to real media and MIDI or something like that.
Quote from: Sharde
They kept pushing me around, and pushing soup and cheese on me, and laughing at me while I was freaking out.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Web Hosting assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »
That one looks okay.  It doesn't really limit you to particular file formats (it looks like it does, but all they're doing is intentionally lengthening their feature list).  Also, when a shared host says that they offer "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth, that usually (if it's a good provider) means that they will allow you as much as you want unless it starts to interfere with other users of the box or if it gets excessive.  If they're a bad provider, they'll shut you off and try to squeeze more money out of you.  The former is more common than the latter.

I would definitely advise against the cheapest plan since it limits you to a single MySQL database, though, but the middle one looks pretty nice.  The reason I'd recommend against services that only offer a single MySQL database is because if you're the target of an SQL injection attack you could wind up losing your entire site, not just the application that's affected.  Whenever I install a new service to s.net, I create a new database for it, with its own unique, randomized password.  That way, if someone uses an SMF exploit to wipe the forums I won't risk losing anything in WordPress and vice versa.

As for s.net, I'm currently using 1&1 for my hosting needs (Zakamiro uses it, too, and his positive experience is what pushed me to try it).  I'm using the 1&1 Home plan (the second cheapest, at $5 a month) which gives me 120GB of disk space and 1.2TB of transfer.  In other words, way more than I'll ever use.  1&1 has proven to be fast and reliable, so I approve.  My only gripe is the 100MB database limit, but I'm sure I'll have found a new service (or reset the forums again, lawl) by the time we get near that (currently at 12MB for the SMF database).
"This is a machine for making cows."

dinnerroll

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:20:51 PM »
how is the database limit different from the disk limit? is the database like if i wanted to upload and store files like movies and music and whatnot?

thanks for all the info by the way. i really want to make sure i get this right the first time haha.
They kept pushing me around, and pushing soup and cheese on me, and laughing at me while I was freaking out.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:05:52 PM »
The disk limit is basically the amount of space that normal files (like MP3s, HTML files, PHP scripts, pictures, and stuff like that) take up.  The database limit affects data within things like web forums -- basically the size that your MySQL databases can get before you get cut off.  Some providers, like 1&1, enforce a database limit.  Others -- like my old host, Interweb -- count it as part of your disk space.  You might even come across some that don't set a hard limit on it (it looks like the one that you found is one of those ones).  That's what generally holds things like forum posts, user information, and things of that nature -- back-end data.

thanks for all the info by the way. i really want to make sure i get this right the first time haha.

No problem, and I certainly don't blame you, haha. :)  There is kind of a lot to look for when it comes to this stuff.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:03:30 AM »
I'm glad you didn't come here with a link to some retarded rip-off site that offers something ridiculously stupid like "unlimited space and bandwidth for only $12 a year" or some stupid shit like that, because there are a LOT of bad hosting companies like that out there.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:43 AM »
Yeah, I'd recommend 1&1. Both spec and I run with it, and it's proven to be very cheap. Both he and I get the home package, and they even update our packages as they get better.  1.2 TB is quite a bit to transfer, particularly for only $5/mo. Hell, I have no problem loaning out some webspace.  I have a domain you can have, or you may use a subdomain of one of mine. I've never really had a problem with 1&1. Their service is top-notch (I've called them numerous times, and their tech support people can actually help you without a flow chart, not to mention are fluent in english without heavy arabian accents) Plus if you get 1&1 with either spec's or my referral code, we save money on our monthly rate. So, something to consider. ;]

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:04:44 AM »
Yah, if I ever actually buy webspace, I'm likely going with them, however, I DO have my own "server" here, so that's not that likely to happen.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
Plus if you get 1&1 with either spec's or my referral code, we save money on our monthly rate. So, something to consider. ;]

Indeed.

Speaking of that, if you (or anyone else) decide to use 1&1, use Z's referral code.  When I signed up I was a douche and forgot to ask for his. :>

dinnerroll

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »
I'm glad you didn't come here with a link to some retarded rip-off site that offers something ridiculously stupid like "unlimited space and bandwidth for only $12 a year" or some stupid shit like that, because there are a LOT of bad hosting companies like that out there.

yeah i basically googled "web hosting". the first link was a list of the top-ten best services, and that site was #1 :\

Hell, I have no problem loaning out some webspace.  I have a domain you can have, or you may use a subdomain of one of mine.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to get my own :D That no arabian accent thing sounds pretty sweet.

I'm probably going to sign up for something today. either 1&1 or Start Logic. Thanks for all the help guys, but I'm sure i'll have more questions in the future haha.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 07:42:01 PM »
No prablam. :)  If you need a hand getting things set up, let us know.  Z and I have been doing this for a while now.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »
Speaking of that, if you (or anyone else) decide to use 1&1, use Z's referral code.  When I signed up I was a douche and forgot to ask for his. :>

Fuck that. After all, I/we are using your site, which is costing you money. hahaha.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.