Author Topic: [ScrewAttack.com Forums] i mean seriously you think any1 still plays doom 1?  (Read 13803 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
http://forum.screwattack.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33597&start=30

Synopsis: Someone on the ScrewAttack.com forums is working on an Angry Video Game Nerd Doom mod.  At the page 4 mark, someone decides to butt in with this insightful post:

Quote from: Your_Moms_Daytime_Relief
man if your gonna make a mod, at least make it on good graphics from at least 2004, i mean seriously you think any1 still plays doom 1? and if people still do...then wow

I know what you're all thinking: with a name like "Your_Moms_Daytime_Relief" there's no way he could possibly make a post that's complete and other drivel.  With his amazing post count of 4 and his amazingly confrontational attitude, he's bound to go places on SA.com!  Despite everything that was working against me, I decided to push forward and respond to this because I have a feeling that he's incorrect and his opinion is stunted and reprehensible.  It's certainly going to be an uphill battle and it'll definitely be tough to get support on my front, but I'm going to do all that I can to defend the noble JtRtheRiPPeR's Doom efforts.

...FOR GREAT JUSTICE!
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Doesn't really surprise me, didn't screw attack say something along the lines of halo being one of the top 5 most influential shooters?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
This kid isn't at all affiliated with ScrewAttack.

Also, considering the post was made in the AVGN section, it's pretty much a given that classic games would be discussed there.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
This kid isn't at all affiliated with ScrewAttack.

I know, I'm just saying the kind of person screw attack would currently attract.

Also yes, yes it would. Really now that kids who's first console was a xbox or PS2 are on the internet means that there will soon be a wave of gamers who will hate 2D-2.5D games, which is disgusting.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Stupid troll is stupid...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
Spectere, you can tell the dude that if he needs pictures of console weapons, I've got an orange NES Zapper, a gray NES Zapper, an NES Power Pad, a Super Scope (although, it says Super Famicom on it instead of Super Nintendo), a SNES Mouse, two NES Advantages, and an SNES Advantage, as well as normal NES, FC, SNES, and SFC controllers, and I'd be willing to take some pictures if he needs any.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Ugh...I hate kids like that.

I still wish I had my Genisis.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Ugh...I hate kids like that.

I still wish I had my Genisis.

I know I do, FUCK YEAH DYNAMITE HEADY.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
I wish I had games for my gamegear. I don't know if that thing even works any more.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
Hell I need to find more games for my Snes emulator.

Hell if wine would work I would play Doom 1 and 2 and even Quake.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Google?. Great for locating sites :P

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Hell if wine would work I would play Doom 1 and 2 and even Quake.

There were Linux native ports of Doom and Quake available long before they were GPL'd.  I used to use them.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
Really...huh I must look into this.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Indeed.

Even the newer engines should work pretty well.  It seems like most of them, even the ones that are known for their excellent 3D acceleration support, have software rendering still enabled.

If you want a version of Doom that emulates the classic Doom feel (i.e. no jumping, movement code almost identical, no freelook, similar list of bugs, etc) yet runs very well in a modern OS, look no further than Chocolate Doom.  I generally use GZDoom, personally.  It has all of the nice features of a modern Doom engine and its software renderer should be more than fast enough for your laptop (that said, I haven't tried it on anything under a P4, so I dunno, heh).

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
At least someone had to tell him off...good job and he is a freaking moron for thinking that Doom1 wasn't that good because pretty much every other fps was based off of it (Wolfenstein, Martyr, Blood, ROTT, even ones that aren't thought of yet will be based on the original Doom).
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones