Author Topic: ROFL  (Read 9188 times)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Re: ROFL
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
Yeah Capcom has made some really awesome games...considering I am a huge Resi fan and all.

Renard

• MungyoMember
    • View Profile
    • ren-Q
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »
i mean, look at megaman 9, and ADDING IN the flicker that would be in a nes game, just to nail the feel down.  that's fucking dedication.

more and more, i think this game is actually an NES game in a self-contained emulator. i mean, i can't see it doing anything that the NES couldn't. the audio channels cut out, the sprites-per-scanline is enforced, amongst others.

assuming this, i can't wait for this thing to get decompiled and for a ROM dump to circulate 8D
http://www.ren-q.info - Personal webspace hub
http://www.mungyodance.com - Mungyodance - pc dancing game
http://www.vulpvibe.com - VULPvibe - record company

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 11:15:51 PM »
No, it would be insanely retarded to go back to a programming language that's been dead for 15 years for severly underpowered hardware, emulator or not.  Think of how easy it would be to pirate the game if they made it an NES rom.  The developers even admit that they're not retarded enough to make it as an NES rom. (read the whole thing)

They put in some old-school glitches just to replicate the feel of the NES games.  Now THAT'S hardcore :D

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »
Yeah, that is pretty awesome, I'm just sad that they still believe that you can't release a full out 2D game for a new system at all any more, without it being a downloadable thing.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Renard

• MungyoMember
    • View Profile
    • ren-Q
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
The developers even admit that they're not retarded enough to make it as an NES rom.

in that case

expecting rom hack of some other megaman game

don't say it can't be done :]
http://www.ren-q.info - Personal webspace hub
http://www.mungyodance.com - Mungyodance - pc dancing game
http://www.vulpvibe.com - VULPvibe - record company

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 02:40:26 AM »
It many not actually be possible, depending on how large they make the levels.

Also, it's not so much that they're smarter than that, but that they can't really make a NES game now anyway. Most of the technical knowledge and development programs have been lost.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 03:12:02 AM »
They put in some old-school glitches just to replicate the feel of the NES games.  Now THAT'S hardcore :D

A really hard throwback to nostalgia goggle wearing neck beards.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Most of the technical knowledge and development programs have been lost.

No, most of the technical knowledge and development tools are fairly wide-spread knowledge now.

And that's where the problem lies.  If they went this route, MM9 would be hacked, cracked, and otherwide ripped wide open in a day.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 05:46:04 PM »
No, the development tools they had are gone. How many people do you see programming homebrew full games that are able to compete with commercial NES games? Not bloody many. I'm referring to things like level editors and all the other little tidbits that the programmers exploited back in the day. Sure, the NES is much easier to program than the SNES, but just because people have managed to get a pretty good knowledge of what is necessary and what's going on in the background in those games doesn't mean that they can reproduce that quality of code now.

Not to mention that the very people who worked on those games probably forgot more about how to make those games than most modern NES homebrew programmers have ever known.

Sure, the fact that it would be insanely easy to hack is a definite problem, and one more reason they're not making it a NES game in an emulator, but it wouldn't be the only one. Just because maybe 2 or 3 homebrew NES programmers/rom hackers have the knowledge to reproduce that sort of thing doesnt mean that anyone on the team for MM9 does.

I consider myself relatively well informed in the romhacking scene, and I've yet to hear about any fully complete NES games that are at the same quality level as a commercial game.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 02:57:26 AM »
Your post would have been a hell of a lot more coherent and to the point if you'd just said, "I'm referring to things like level editors and all the other little tidbits that the programmers exploited back in the day.  Not to mention that the very people who worked on those games probably forgot more about how to make those games than most modern NES homebrew programmers have ever known."

That's all you would have needed to post and it would have been infinitely more readable and on-topic.

And yes, I agree with part of that.  The core development tools (assemblers, etc) and knowledge of the hardware platform, however, are more widespread than ever, not to mention that any system can fully emulate an NES very accurately.  That's an undeniable fact.  Anyone with enough of a drive can make an NES game now.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
True, the basic knowledge how the NES works, how to emulate it, and how to write games for it is out there, but aside from the real hardcore rom hackers, most people writing code for it probably don't know anything about how the old games were actually developed. They probably have no idea how to make a really efficient DTE system (were those used in the NES, or only the SNES?)

Anyway, it's basically gotten to the same way computers are: nobody but the true hardcore geeks/oldschool programmers know assembly now, and nobody but the real ubernerds who have reverse engineered NES games likely know much about the real innards of most NES game, despite the fact that the basic working knowledge is there.

(Don't fault me on this stuff, it's 3:24, I'm insanely tired, and I've been drinking a bit after work. Also, this keyboard is still sticky :/)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x