Author Topic: things to do [OS]  (Read 6010 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
things to do [OS]
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »
So I have this laptop I barely use, with a perfectly legitimate XP on it. I recently partitioned its 120GB HD into 3 parts, one for XP, one for sharing between OS's, and then the other space for... for what exactly? That's why I'm posting. I need some OS that is fun to screw around with/learn about/do things with. I have already put some effort into getting Mac OS X 10 intel on there, but that has proven to have a few hurdles in them I don't yet know how to jump. 

The first OS I put on the lappy was ubuntu, but I didn't feel the need for it when I could get XP just as easy.

Any suggestions?

PLZKTHX
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: things to do [OS]
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
I have already put some effort into getting Mac OS X 10 intel on there, but that has proven to have a few hurdles in them I don't yet know how to jump.

Depending on your hardware, how flexible your mobo's chipset it when it comes to booting, and the version you PERFECTLY LEGITIMATELY acquire, it ranges from relatively easy to painful.  It's much easier to install it to a second drive (that's what I did when I tried it) than to install it on another partition.

If you have some Linux experience, Gentoo is a fun beast to play around with.  It takes a bit longer to get going since you have to configure some things and compile just about everything (not manually -- the package manager does most of the real work), but all in all I've learned a lot more from it and have had a lot fewer problems than I've had which Ubuntu (which was literally breaking my video card driver every week until I finally kicked it off my old computer permanently).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
So in theory I could wipe and reformat my lappy's HD to fat32 and that may be easier to install it on? :p

I'll try out gentoo, I don't know much about linux except a few basic commands in terminal and such.. but it's always good to learn something new haha.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »
So in theory I could wipe and reformat my lappy's HD to fat32 and that may be easier to install it on? :p

OS X?  Yeah, probably.

When I had it on my old system I installed it to the first partition of my second drive, then used my BIOS's boot selector to boot to that drive.  Not the best solution, but it worked.

I seem to remember there being some sort of way to convince GRUB to boot it, but I never got it to work.

I'll try out gentoo, I don't know much about linux except a few basic commands in terminal and such.. but it's always good to learn something new haha.

They pretty much step you through everything.  Kernel creation is still kind of an AHHH HELP kind of thing, but you can always generate a general-purpose kernel (like most other distros) using their genkernel solution.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:13:30 PM »
I was thinking about trying out Gentoo as well. How big of a partition would I need? I mean, I know I can resize it at any time, but I prefer going through really long processes like partitioning a 750 GB hard drive only once.

Also I used Ubuntu for a while. I didn't have and real problems with it other than how much useless crap it came with and updated every week and that every time it did a major update it reentered itself into GRUB (leaving me with like 9 identical Ubuntu boots, 9 identical Ubuntu rescue boots, and XP at the bottom by the time I realized how to edit the menu).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:17:46 PM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »
I was thinking about trying out Gentoo as well. How big of a partition would I need? I mean, I know I can resize it at any time, but I prefer going through really long processes like partitioning a 750 GB hard drive only once.

20GB is my personal absolute minimum.  One of the downsides to Gentoo is that is has to keep a lot of development tools, headers, libraries, and stuff like that on your system in order to be able to compile programs.  I was able to use a 10GB install on my laptop for a while but as I started to do things that required a decent amount of drive space (i.e. remastering LiveCDs, etc) I found myself running out of space.  That hasn't happened since I bumped it up to 20GB.

How much you need depends on how much you use it and what you do with it.  If you just want to screw around with it a little, 40GB will be more than enough to get you a working system with plenty of room for experimentation.  Just for reference, a working, up-to-date installation with Xorg, KDE 3.5, vlc, and Firefox (and other small non-essentials) installed takes between 4-5GB, depending on how you have it configured.

Also I used Ubuntu for a while. I didn't have and real problems with it other than how much useless crap it came with and updated every week and that every time it did a major update it reentered itself into GRUB (leaving me with like 9 identical Ubuntu boots, 9 identical Ubuntu rescue boots, and XP at the bottom by the time I realized how to edit the menu).

One thing to keep in mind with Gentoo is that, while it does a fine job keeping your system applications up to date, you'll have to update the kernel yourself.  If you decide to go with the genkernel route, it should be as easy as running genkernel again.  If you roll your own kernels, you'll have to copy the config, do a "make oldconfig," "make && make install_modules && emerge nvidia-driver" (or ati-driver, depending on your system), and add it to the grub.conf (I think installing the kernel with "make install" will do that, but I haven't tried it).  Nothing too hard, takes a couple of minutes and doesn't need to be done all that often.

One nice thing about Gentoo is that they tend to be pretty conservative about updating the stable tree.  Ubuntu tends to throw a bunch of the newest shit that it can find and dump it into the default installation (perfect examples: including a beta version of Firefox 3 and being compiz-happy, which causes a plethora of compatibility issues with common applications).  With Gentoo, you don't get pre-release software unless you specifically "opt-in," and if the portage (i.e. package manager) team finds a severe enough bug in a product they'll roll the package back.

Overall, it's generally small after you start going with it (things are compiled with what you want, not what you might want or don't need), quick, and easy to update the system when you want to do it ("emerge --sync && emerge -uDN world; restart X or the system if applicable").

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
I learned a lot about running linux through the console thanks to having to SSH into my MyBook. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 01:27:55 AM »
So I got a Gentoo amd64 LiveCD, but when I booted to it, it said the GUI was broken. "No problem," I thought, as I typed installer --help and followed its directions. Then, after a couple of steps, it said "Fuck you" and kicked me back into bash.

As such, I'm running Debian right now, mostly as a distro to just keep around for when Windows won't do the trick (stuff that needs to be done in the terminal or actually free software that has no Windows support) and waiting until Gentoo has better amd64 support before putting it on my desktop. As for my Eee, I'm still trying to figure out how to make a Gentoo LiveSD because I'm getting pretty sick of the Eee's stock OS. All I use is OpenOffice.org and VLC, and I've deleted pretty much everything except for the "Easy Mode" GUI (including graphical file browsers), and the Wi-Fi is fucked for no reason.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:31:27 AM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 01:41:57 AM »
waiting until Gentoo has better amd64 support before putting it on my desktop

lol wut

Gentoo's AMD64 support is as good as any other Linux distro's.  Using the installer was your mistake (trust me, don't bother, it's meant more for scripted installs, not guided ones) -- your best bet is to follow the handbook.  Bring that up on your Eee or something and keep it near you while you do the install.  If nothing else it helps you get familiar with the base system and package manager.

I would advise using x86 builds of Linux in general, though.  There's too much binary-only stuff that requires x86 and its system for mixing 32- and 64-bit userlands is kind of backwards compared to the WoW64 system that Windows uses.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 02:04:31 AM »
Ah, all right. I didn't know if running x86 on my desktop would work right, if at all. I just remember the installer asking me a y/n, and both answers kicking me out.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 02:52:16 AM »
Yeah, it'll run x86 with no trouble.  Hell, it'll boot 16-bit DOS if you really want to run that. ;P

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »
Yeah, I was just about to post saying that all intel compatible (x86-64) processors are fully backwards compatible.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x