Author Topic: Anyone interested in my s.net status checker that's in development?  (Read 3750 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
I decided to get back into coding a bit, and thought it would be fun to make a C# app that logged into s.net and checked to see if anyone said anything new (via checking for the "new posts" image, instead of the "no new posts" one).

Of course, if I get that all finished and working, I might add more stuff if you guys want something else.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: Anyone interested in my s.net status checker that's in development?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 05:00:25 PM »
I would use SMF's RSS feed. On the phazenet IRC chatroom, my bot will notice you if there's been a new post.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »
I've never gotten the hang of RSS, plus, I'd kinda like to learn how to send HTTP requests back and forth in C#. Right now I need to find out how to send a POST HTTP request to log you in.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:56:09 AM »
Just use the rss feed... It's fucking easy. http://www.spectere.net/smf/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;limit=5

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:34:04 AM »
I might use that afterwards, to simplify what I need to do, but honestly, I'd much rather learn how to properly formulate POST HTTP requests and such, it can accomplish so much more than what an RSS feed can do (such as provide a simple way to check many sites at once using a database of URLs coupled with the username and password for each site (and some way to check each one). I say that because not every forum has an RSS feed available.)

Well, that, and the fact that I'd rather learn how to do what my original idea was rather than simply give up for an easier solution.

I'd do more work on this thing, but I don't have much free time right now.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x