Author Topic: THE MOST LAME POST PRODUCERS  (Read 446685 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: THE MOST LAME POST PRODUCERS
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
I know that my Eee's boot selector displayed it as "Sony "PSP" MS", so it might work.

If it appeared in the boot selector then it fares better than my phone.

The only question at this point is whether you can write your own boot sector to the memory stick.  If you can you're good to go.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #361 on: October 16, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
I have started creating my own language, and it's actually really fun.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:41 PM »
Cool, any description of the language? I'm very interested in linguistics, and I'd sorta like to see what linguistic aspects you've included in your language.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2008, 01:32:10 AM »
Well it's called Tlet, and "tl" is kind of like "ch" or "sh" in that it makes a new sound out of two letters. It uses the English alphabet, but is only twenty letters. I went through the alphabet and kicked out the ones I decided were unnecessary. The Tlet alphabet doesn't use i, j, q, u, v, or x. I also have an alternate set of characters for each letter that I've drawn out.

As for grammar rules and such, I haven't gotten too far into it, but the language so far is basically a simplified version of English with some traits of Spanish, Japanese and Latin (and yeah I know that English and Spanish were derived from Latin but 'tevah), and a few extra sounds thrown in. I'm just getting down the basic parts of speech like conjunctions and prepositions, then I'll start to work on how conjugations are gonna work. I haven't thought much past that. So far these are the words I have translated:

The - Ed
If - Zets
And - En
Or - Ebt
But - Her

I don't feel like describing how you'd pronounce them, but it's a little different than how they look phonetically.

I'll take a picture of the alphabet I worked out for it later.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:41:04 AM by Sqthreer! »
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 17, 2008, 02:16:04 AM »
I'm watching a recording of the most recent debate right now. I'm an hour in, and it seems all McCain has talked about is taxes.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #365 on: October 17, 2008, 03:09:18 AM »
I'd suggest learning the IPA. It's a lot easier to define pronunciation by simply providing an IPA symbol to define it's pronunciation. Plus, the IPA provides symbols for pretty much any pronunciation possible. Sure, pronunciation can differ a LITTLE bit from the exact defined pronunciation for the symbol, but because they define the sounds in a systematic approach, defining them by things such as how open they are, or where the tongue is, they have basically created a set of symbols that can approximate every sound we can make.

Oh, and linguistically, English is a Germanic language, hence why some grammatical rules are different. Compare Spanish and English, then compare Spanish and French, and you can see a lot of similarities between French and Spanish that English doesn't contain.

However, I've seen it somewhere that somewhere around 60% of modern English language traces it's roots back to Latin.

English is kinda a unique language, in the sense that I don't think any other language has diverged so far from it's roots that it actually has more in common with an entirely different linguistic tree.

I'd like to make a language myself sometime that does away with many of the problematic portions of English. Because really, English is a terrible language.

Sure, we've done away with some of the dumber parts of languages (in my opinion) by basically removing word gender differentiation, and a host of other complicating factors, but we shot ourselves in the foot linguistically by making grammatical rules, and then making exception for pretty much every one of them.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2008, 04:43:20 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

Unu solvaĵo estas paroli Esperanton, sed antaŭjuĝo ekzistas kontraŭ la lingvon. Estas ĉar ĝi estas "nenaturan" kaj homoj ne volas lerniĝi, malgraŭ ĝi estando facile lerni kaj regula. Homoj estas stultaj. >_>;

Se vi volas lerniĝi, aŭ nure ekrigardi al la lingvon, iru al http://www.lernu.net/ - ili havas multaj gvidoj por lerni la gramatiko kaj la vortaro de Esperanto, kaj vi paroeblas en la komunumo tie. Havu amuzo. :)

|

One solution is to speak Esperanto, but prejudice exists against the language, because the language is "unnatural" and people don't want to learn anything, despite the language's ease of learning and regularity. People are stupid. >_>;

If you want to learn, or even just glance at the language, go to http://www.lernu.net/ - they have many guides with which to learn the grammar and the vocabulary of Esperanto, and you can talk with the community there. Have fun. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:46:24 AM by Vyhd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »
I've seen Esperanto, but I'm not exactly a fan of the ridiculous use of accents. It makes typing it a pain, and I really think it's unnecessary. I've never understood why they used accents.

I just saw something for Ek! and out of curiocity, I want to know how accurate my translation of this fragment is (taken from Ek!'s main page)

EK estas programo, kiu permesas tajpi esperantajn ĉapelitajn literojn
EK is a program that allows typing Esperanto capital letters

Note: I have not formally learned a single word of Esperanto, lol.

Anyway, I'm curous how well I did translating that fragment.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2008, 02:27:08 PM »
Accents are used to denote separate letters, so that one sound always maps to one letter and vice versa. The "x-convention" is usually used to type accents online, since Esperanto doesn't use 'x' in any other context - it looks very weird, however. For example, the following:

Estas ĉar ĝi estas "nenaturan" kaj homoj ne volas lerniĝi, malgraŭ ĝi estando facile lerni kaj regula.
->
Estas cxar gxi estas "nenaturan" kaj homoj ne volas lernigxi, malgraux gxi estando facile lerni kaj regula.

Your translation is very close, and a speaker would understand your point, but there are a few mistakes. None of them are actually with grammar - it's all word choice.

The "ki-" part of a correlative denotes an interrogative tense, and "-u" refers to individuals (living things), so "kiu" roughly means "who" as a question, e.g. "kiu ke?/who is that?". "Tio" would be more appropriate, as "ti-" indicates a demonstrative tense and "-o" refers to an object.

I'm not sure about "cxapelito" - "cxapelo" means cap, usually in terms of a hat, so while "cxapelita" would be "previously capped", it'd work better (in a metaphorical sense) for accented characters. If you want to specify capital letters, you could use "literegojn" (-eg- being augmentative, so translated closely to 'large letter') or "majusklo" (this is a special word for 'capital letter' - try to avoid specific words unless necessary).

My translation of it would be less literal, in order to better get the main idea across (and I prefer Spanish-style adjectives, but that's entirely a personal choice):
"EK estas programo, tio asistas tajpi literegojn esperantajn."
Which translates more closely to:
"EK is a program that helps typing Esperanto capital letters."

You seem to have a grasp of the basic grammar, which is definitely a good start. When the grammar is mastered,
all you need to know are morphemes, suffixes, and affixes. :)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #369 on: October 17, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »
Well, because I've learned random words from the romance languages (or simply the Latin roots for things), or I'm able to see the similar roots between English words and words in another language, I can usually surmise at least part of a sentence. And since I've been exposed to French and Spanish (though mostly French), I've got a decent concept of sentence structure in romance languages (along with knowledge of many of the articles such as "the" "and" and other small words like that).

cxapelita in this case likely refers to letters that have the circumflex accent meaning "capped" as we would refer to the letter as having the "cap" previously added.

I'm a very quick study for grammar, but learning vocabulary is a different matter. I'm terribly slow at learning actual vocabulary.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 18, 2008, 01:46:55 AM »
I bricked my PSP by messing with some system files while trying to install a plugin, so now I have to make another pandora's battery. Opening up the battery is a pain in the ass.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 18, 2008, 02:07:49 AM »
So I watched the happening, it was awful. Like, really really really bad, to the point where it was funny.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #372 on: October 18, 2008, 02:13:33 AM »
sup. I got in a bike accident on oct 6th. they wanted to call for a helicopter, but my girlfriend convinced them not to. I was doing about 25-30 mph and my sweatshirt that was under my arm got caught in the spoke of the front wheel and I flipped the bike. It will cost over $12,000 in bills, but I'm technically living in poverty, so I'll luckily be able to write it all off. I've moved back in with my folks, as they're willing to charge me half of my original rent at my old house and when im in college, pay for everything, including food, rent, and tuition. Sweet. Anyway, hi again. I'll give more details if anyone's interested.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #373 on: October 18, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »
sup. I got in a bike accident on oct 6th. they wanted to call for a helicopter, but my girlfriend convinced them not to. I was doing about 25-30 mph and my sweatshirt that was under my arm got caught in the spoke of the front wheel and I flipped the bike.

Holy shit. D:  You alright?

I've moved back in with my folks, as they're willing to charge me half of my original rent at my old house and when im in college, pay for everything, including food, rent, and tuition. Sweet.

Good to hear.

I can't even imagine living alone and trying to afford college expenses.  Living expenses alone would be painful, especially in a place like California.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2008, 04:27:51 AM »
Jesus christ nigger. Good to hear you're okay, that's awful.