Author Topic: vlad is putting together a pc for the future  (Read 14720 times)

vladgd

vlad is putting together a pc for the future
« on: September 10, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:04:39 AM by vladgd »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: vlad is putting together a pc for the future
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »
Personally I'd use AMD if I were going to be gaming a ton on mine, other than that, it look pretty sexy. Also looking at that dickfuckhuge video card, you may be screwing yourself out of some expansion slots, maybe look for a more roomy board that that?
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:23 PM »
Lol, another AMD fan. From the experience I've had with my AMDs (now that I have an AMD laptop), I'm gonna be sticking with them. I really like these processors.

I don't know how much the difference between an AMD and an intel would make on gaming, but as a general rule, I've decided to buy AMD.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »
i use an amd in my current pc, intel is just better at the moment.  also, this isn't an AMD CIRCLEJERK thread, its helping me out with my part selection.  enough comments on that (if i don't say that, bobbias will continue, I  KNOW WHAT YOU DO).

anyway, why would i need these expansion slots?  im not really going to add to the machine after its built.  and the case im getting is a full atx case, so it shouldn't have any problems with my card.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
It's a "just in case" thing, like just in case you want to add something like an internal capture card or Wi-Fi receiver.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

vladgd

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
nothing id really need.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:46 PM »
(Unrelated to previous comment) I'd probably go with a motherboard capable of SLI so that when you inevitably need to upgrade your video card, you could buy something similar to what you have and use SLI. That's what I'm planning on doing.

Also, my video card takes up 2 slots, but it runs pretty cool because of the beastly heatsink, so I don't mind.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 09:54:06 PM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

vladgd

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
ok, apparently a 32 bit os can't support the full 4gb of ram, and since i am a whore, i need 4gb of ram for the fuck of it. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116493

its vista...spectere, you had better tell me what is awesome about vista, because from what ive used of it, its a lot less user friendly than xp is.  but i get the dx10, and whatever other features it has. 

now that i think of it....i am a whore...I MUST GO OVERKILL (well its only adding $80.00 to the ram cost, but its still overkill)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227290

because vista 64-bit allows for 8gb of ram

HAWHAWHAW

also, when i have this beast of a rig built, im buying a new hdd, replacing it in my current rig(or getting a program or something to totally nuke my hdd, but id rather get a new hdd since my current one is a few years old and it could croak any time now), throwing that rig in a new case with actual cooling, then giving it to the parents since their ancient dell desktop SSUCCKCKCKCkssksksksksks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:39:19 PM by vladgd »

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:47:38 PM »
I'm using Vista. I don't see what isn't user-friendly about it. It's tough on hardware, but you should be fine with the stuff you're picking out. If you don't want it, there's always XP64.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
Eh I think it's best if you go with Vista for the system you are building considering 4 GB of ram is more then sufficent to run Vista just fine.  I actually used Vista and it is user-friendly...just bad rep and all.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:48:05 PM »
Yeah, after using it for a while, aside form those "vista needs your permission" popups, I don't have too many things to bitch about. the only real issue I've encountered is not being able to share files with XP (though it sees the samba share on my MyBook fine).

I find that Vista runs quite nicely on this machine, actually. It's not even all that good, when it comes to hardware (2GB DDR2, and an AMD Athlon64 X2 QL-60). Getting Vista64 on a 64 processor would likely run even better than this does, being able to take advantage of the 64bit registers.

Not to mention that XP is rather rapidly becoming obsolete. Very soon new games are going to stop making versions that don't work in DX9 and only work in DX10, forcing people to upgrade if they want to play new games. And god knows what microsoft will do to force people to upgrade soon, once they've completely stopped selling XP and stopped offering those "pre-downgraded" versions and such as well.

And, since it's software, not hardware, you don't have the issue of early adoption like you do with hardware (you know, getting the first video card released in a series that turns out to be much shittier than the next batch, despite still being marginally better tan the current popular generation, and costing an arm and a leg).
(yes, I actually made an intelligent contribution to the thread)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 11:51:08 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »
well you can turn the popups off, im more worried about certain shit being incompatible with vista.  (sister had a printer that didn't work, tried to play multiplayer diablo 1, NOPE)

had a friend who had a pc with vista, it was SLOW SLWOWLwoflwofwlfwoa, got xp, and he isn't going back.  like everybody i know has a laptop with vista, and either they don't have enough power, or something because ive not seen too much positive with the OS. 

but i guess i can edit the first post to add the ram and vista.  ILL GET USED TO IT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:37 AM »
Most laptops just shouldn't have Vista. Period. My PC is running it better than fine with 4GB of RAM, a GeForce 8800GT, and a 3.0GHz dual-core, which is close to what you're getting.

Yeah, after using it for a while, aside form those "vista needs your permission" popups, I don't have too many things to bitch about.

I managed to disable UAC, but I don't explicitly remember how. It wasn't hard, but it did require me to logout and log back in.

Also, vlad, for storage, you might want this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148274

Basically what you had, except with a different manufacturer and 1TB of space at the same price.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 01:09:42 AM »
Even running my specs (my Processor runs at 1.9 GHz (when not being downed to save power, that is), and it's only 32 bit, and I've got a Radeon 3100 in here, and it runs rather nicely. I'm actually surprised at how responsive it is. So if it can run on this, it can definitely run well on whatever you're constructing. (and also can likely run on any half decent laptop now, since this was one of the cheapest ones I could find).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:10 AM »
im thinking, i really don't want to spend $1800.00 on a pc.  i can get a nice pc which can run everything good for less money.

brainstorm session #2 coming whenever i feel like modifying the parts again. 

going to try to keep the machine under $1500, 4gb ram(not that the extra $80.00 for 8gb matters, i can always get 8gb later since ram is dirt cheap), quad core, blablabla.

and i have to take in consideration parts drop in price, and my money estimate is 6 months, so prices will definitely drop by then.

i mean, i want a nice pc, but if i make a 12-1500 pc, thats like $300 i could spend on other shit, like a widescreen monitor, psp, or a gallon of gasoline.

but uhh this thread is basically me thinking out loud, with opinions from other people.  nothing is really final till i have the money.