Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 10496 times)

MooMan1

• TEXT
    • View Profile
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10:03 AM »
RSS is great for webcomickry, especially ones that update sporadically. It's a difference of ten seconds, but I like it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 03:54:03 AM »
RSS is great for webcomickry, especially ones that update sporadically.

If only VG Cats had an RSS feed...
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
So, after using Chrome for my default browser for a while, I've noticed a couple rather annoying aspects.

When the download history gets too large, it starts to take a long time between when you clicked "download this link" to when the save file dialog appears.

Chrome can't properly handle SVG files taller than the screen (it doesn't make a scroll bar appear, making it impossible to scroll down and see the rest of the image).

And contrary to common belief, right clicking and spawning a new tab doesn't spawn a new process every time. any link you followed from a website into a new tab will be in that process, until you hit the maximum (90, IIRC). The only way to spawn a new process is to make a new empty tab.

Also, I think this is only in the current dev build, but if you download something (bringing up that download bar at the bottom) and navigate away from the page, you can no longer close the bar or interact with any of the items on it at all until you start another download on a tab you have open, at which point it erases the bar and starts a new one. In fact, if you closed the tab while something was downloading, the bar doesn't even get updated. However, the downloads tab still works, so you can still check/open your downloads. It's just a bit of a pain in the ass.

Not to mention I can'd find the application specific volume bar for chrome (or it's plugins). I dunno whether that's a problem with chrome or Vista, but when I have my main volume at max (which is REALLY FUCKING LOUD), and all my application specific bars really low, and I decide to watch a youtube video, I get aurally assaulted, thanks to not having an application specific volume bar.

Aside form those, I really enjoy using Chrome. It's a very responsive and nicely designed browser, and it easily meets my needs. sure, it's not as extendable as firefox, with the billion or so addons that firefox has, but if you want a nice, responsive browser with a light interface, it's definitely worth trying (for an extended period of time).

Now, there are a couple things I absolutely love about it that I feel deserve mention here, since I don't want this to be a totally negative post.

The "press tab to search" feature. I absolutely LOVE that feature. If I want to search wikipedia, all I have to do is type w into my location bar, and then hit tab, and type in my search. It works for isohunt, facebook, youtube and probably a number of others as well.

The simplified interface is one of the things I really love about it. Somehow the guys at google managed to break all those menus you usually have into 2 buttons. One for page specific menus and one for Chrome specific stuff. and they don't have a gigantic number of entries in them either. Despite the sophisticated back end, Chrome is built upon the ideal of simplifying everything. Especially the interface.

Application shortcuts. Goddamn I love this feature. With a few simple clicks, I have a shortcut to a very lightweight Gmail link right on my start menu, and it even runs in a stripped down version of Chrome. It runs without any of the menus or other clutter that comprise the interface and is straight to the point. It opens up my Gmail and works perfectly. If I need to click a link, it opens a new window of chrome for me on top of my Gmail window, leaving it separate even from the tabs in the current window. To me, this is judicious use of windows in the "new window or new tab" setting we now have.

Moving tabs around, from window to window, or into an entire new window, or anything else you might want to do with tabs is insanely easy. The only thing missing is a "re-open last closed tab" entry in the right click menu on tabs...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
The "press tab to search" feature. I absolutely LOVE that feature. If I want to search wikipedia, all I have to do is type w into my location bar, and then hit tab, and type in my search. It works for isohunt, facebook, youtube and probably a number of others as well.

Firefox has something very similar to that, actually.  Just press CTRL-J to jump to the search bar, ALT-DOWN to select your search engine, and start typing.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »
CTRL-J is downloads... But either way, there's nothing saying anything about the keyboard shortcuts in there. Plus, having to type 1 letter, and then tab to search is a bit less work than that anyway. Plus, it doesn't rely on having to manually add in the different search engines/sites, it picks them up automatically, or they're built in or something (I'm pretty sure it picks them up automatically.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 11:30:19 PM »
Typo -- I meant CTRL-K.  And yes, the shortcuts are documented in the menus -- try clicking on the Tools menu and looking to the right of the bar.

There's also a nice list here: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts?style_mode=inproduct.  The link to this page can be found by simply hitting F1.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 04:49:45 AM »
Ahh, well, it's still not as plain as having the message right beside where you're typing (I'm proof that that is more effective).

Mind you, finding the last closed tabs isn't all that easy in chrome.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 04:16:13 PM »
Chrome's spell checker seems to be a bit buggy. I wish it was more like (well, ok, exactly like) Firefox's.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed it's pretty picky about correcting things, too. I think it has to do with cursor placement.

Edit: I've also noticed something else, though it only indirectly involves chrome.

Apparently games with GameGuard disable something in Chrome that prevents it from working right. I can open Chrome when I've got a game in the background that uses GameGuard, but opening it won't bring up the normal home page. Instead it just sits at about:blank and will not load any pages. I can spawn tabs and such, but none of them will load any pages. It doesn't even react to hitting enter or trying to load a page.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:56:17 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »
Mind you, finding the last closed tabs isn't all that easy in chrome.

IE8 actually makes it even easier than Firefox:

I'm actually looking forward to IE8.  Microsoft did a damn good job with it.  Not to mention that IE8 beta 2 had many of Chrome's "revolutionary" features, like incognito mode, before Chrome even came out.  People just overlook that type of stuff on purpose because they can't admit that Microsoft could have possibly beaten Google to something.