Author Topic: Vista's Quick Launch bar likes to resize itself when I reboo...  (Read 7845 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Vista's Quick Launch bar likes to resize itself when I reboo...
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
Erm, yeah, you can replace the video card on laptops.  I know for a fact that I can upgrade my laptop at least a GF7800 (which wasn't even available for my model from the factory, might I add).  I could even replace the CPU if I wanted to.

It definitely depends on the manufacturer, but pretty much all of them make their devices in a modular fashion to save money (that way they can use, say, the same RADEON X300 board in several different notebook models, rather than having to make a different for each GPU).

Well, I'll try to overclock it and see if I can get anywhere with that (mind you I do need to find a way to cool this thing a bit better, they placed the intake fan on the lower part of the bottom, which means it's completely covered when this thing is sitting flat on something.)

I kind of doubt overclocking is going to make it work smoothly unless your components have a ton of OC potential.

Also, bear in mind that with HD stuff like this, the bottleneck could be just about anything, your RAM, your video card, your CPU, your disk controller, or your bus.

I would have just gotten the Xvid encodes, but the guy who encoded them obviously knew nothing about how to optimize the encode for anime, so even for that size, they look like crap (not to mention the color loss is very noticeable.) I've seen some nice Xvid encodes, but these are not nice at all.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I swear some people just open up VirtualDub and drag the slider as far to the left as it goes.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 04:47:27 AM »
I'm really appalled that anyone is allowed to sign up as an encoder in some of these groups. Because I've seen a number of subs wrecked by terrible encodes.

Well, the video card in here isn't the greatest, it's an ATI RADEON 3100. It is responsible for the lowest ratings on my "vista performance index.".

I mean, the system is a dual core system running with 2 GB of DDR2 ram, so at the moment, I'm not inclined to think that the problem is that either of those are choking on it (and it doesn't run my system at 100%). It could be a bus though.
But anyway, I might as well see how much I can overclock this thing and see if it makes any impact. My desktop IS running a 23% OC on stock cooling perfectly fine, lol, so this should be able to manage some OC.

This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »
I kind of doubt it's the video card, really.  Pretty much anything in the last few generations should be able to handle an accelerated surface that large without a problem.  Though, have you tried disabling Aero?  I'm not sure where the RADEON 3100 really fits in on ATI's model line-up (mainly because I find ATI's branding to be even more screwy than NVIDIA's) but maybe tossing all of that video onto a 3D accelerated surface is killing it?

I've had kind of odd luck with overclocking things, so I generally prefer to do whatever I can to avoid doing that.  My old Preshott overclocks fairly well (I never really pushed it at all, but it seemed to stably handle 3.2GHz -- a 400MHz jump -- without a problem) but my old Northwood P4 and my dad's Athlon XP can barely manage 0.2GHz.

I am kind of tempted to try and overclock at least the video card on my current system (maybe even the CPU if I ever upgrade the cooler).  I've heard that the 9800GTX OCs really well.  I should let the NVIDIA Monitor run on my second monitor while I play games to see how hot the card gets with its stock clock rates.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 07:22:40 AM »
Well, my desktop has a RADEON X550 and overclocking it managed to get 5-10 FPS extra on WoW, and I definitely saw a increase in overall speed as far as 3D was concerned.

My desktop is also running a Venice core AMD Athlon 64 3800+ overclocked 23% (from 2.0 GHz to 2.46) and it barely runs any hotter, even just with stock cooling (and the Venice core is the worse core out of the 2 that the 3800+ comes in, lol).

I still haven't touched this system as far as clock speeds go, because I'm a little more concerned about the cooling and such, considering it's a laptop.

Also, the weird thing is that I also have some other 720p video (Dennou Coil) that is H264/AAC encoded in MKVs and runs just fine (well, I had a couple times in the last 2 episodes that it desynched, but it wasn't the same as what was happening with Zero no Tsukaima).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x