Author Topic: Educate me on the merits of the PSP!  (Read 16765 times)

LunarKeys

• View Profile
Educate me on the merits of the PSP!
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
So, for the longest time, I was positive that Sony was the devil and the PSP was something to be ignored. I would play my DS forever and proudly defend Nintendo as the greatest thing that ever happened to games.

Naturally, I grew up eventually. I still think Sony is the devil, but nowadays, I've decided that the PSP is worth trying and have started setting aside cash to purchase a Slim. The problem is, I don't know anything about the system. I was browsing a gaming forum and noticed that the system now has Skype, which got my attention. 'but...but how would that work?! Portable gaming systems don't have headsets!'

And lo and behold, I was wrong. (and a complete dolt, because the DS has the microphone and I forgot entirely until I read the topic)

So, what have I been missing out on? I know the PSP:
- Plays music (I need a replacement for my old iPod - it's first generation and the batteries no longer recharge. I don't want a new one because my playlist is a hundred songs at most)
- Plays games (o rly)
- Able to get the internet (cool)

And, uh, that's about it.

What games are out there? The only 'big' titles I've heard of before are Metal Gear Acid (not really interested) and Lumines (totally interested). I like, uh...strategy, music, puzzles, action/adventure, platformers, etc. Is there software I can get for it? Obviously, there's the emulator community, but I'm fairly sure that falls under the 'uh no illegal stuff' rules. But what about, y'know, stuff like Skype or other random stuff?  And what else does it do, etc.

(and thanks for educating a former fanboy)

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
Re: Educate me on the merits of the PSP!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
Well, I don't have one but here are a few titles that I have seen and liked:

1) Final Fantasy Crisis Core
2) Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
3) i don't know why I can't think of anymore at this time but I may update later.
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »
I know you like the Final Fantasy's Keys...they remade FFII for the PSP.

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
I know you like the Final Fantasy's Keys...they remade FFI for the PSP.

please don't mention FFII...that and FFIV were the most poorly made FFs in the series...II had the worst level up design and IV was just bad altogether (although I kinda liked the story a little).
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

LunarKeys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »
I know you like the Final Fantasy's Keys...they remade FFII for the PSP.

Yeah, they're okay.

I forgot that they remade Final Fantasy Tactics, which I've always wanted to play. (as I mentioned in the 'watcha playin' thread, I'm addicted to FFTA2 right now). So that and Lumines are looking excellent. Can't get GTA for a while (banned from the household and I'm currently in no financial position to move back out), so that's a no-go. Crisis Core couldn't hurt.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
Don't forget about homebrew. http://www.pspslimhacks.com/

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna say, the biggest factor for me is the homebrew stuff. I'd love to be able to get all of my SNES games and an emulator and play SNES on a handheld anywhere. That would just kick serious ass.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:06:37 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna say, the biggest factor for me is the homebrew stuff. I'd love to be able to get all of my SNES games and an emulator and play SNES on a handheld anywhere. That would just kick serious ass.

Sounds like an epic win to me!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:09 PM »
I knew someone that worked at the local EB games that had every single SNES game and an emulator on his hacked PSP, lol. Being able to play SNES games on a handheld screen at higher resolution than they were originally played at (using HQ2X etc.) is just pure win.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
I've got SNES9x on mine. It's great, but you might have to manually set the framerate on some games, games with AI (like racing games and RPGs) run kind of slow whenever the AI is active, and whenever I tried using a save point in FF6 or Chrono Trigger, the emulator froze. So it's not without bugs, but I love playing SMW on it. Also, the GB/GBA emulators I got (MasterBoy and gpSP_kai, respectively) work excellently, if not perfectly.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »
If you do end up applying the cracked firmware, check out the PSP port of Cave Story ( http://cavestorypsp.googlepages.com/ ). It's an amazing game, and it looks and plays much better on the PSP than on PC.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 05:04:37 AM »
The PSP's good side is pretty much entirely reliant on how easy it is to play homebrew stuff. I wouldn't own it otherwise.

FFT PSP is amazing and the retranslation makes it even better than it already was.

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is a port of the PS1 version and is awesome if you've never played it.

Star Ocean 1 is finally coming out in the US next month and I am REALLY looking forward to it because it's using SO2's engine/skill system. This is good.

I'll post more good games later.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
If you do end up applying the cracked firmware, check out the PSP port of Cave Story ( http://cavestorypsp.googlepages.com/ ). It's an amazing game, and it looks and plays much better on the PSP than on PC.

Holy crap, why did I not know that existed?

Now I really want a PSP :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 01:22:58 PM »
It's also possible to port any PS1 game you want to the PSP, but I've never had any success with it. My friend has, but I haven't. I think it has something to do with the version of CFW I have.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 02:17:06 PM »
Wow, that's awesome.

I honestly think that when I can afford to, my next rather large purchase may in fact be a PSP, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x