Author Topic: My mom's computer sucks V2.0  (Read 3352 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
My mom's computer sucks V2.0
« on: October 07, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
So, it looks like my mom's computer has a big problem, but I don't know what it is.

Here's the info: When you turn the computer on, nothing happens to the screen. More precisely, the monitor still gets no signal. The keyboard also gets no power. The computer makes no noise, such as POST beeps, and the only light on in the front is the hard drive activity light, not the power light. However, all the fans (processor and such as well as case and power supply) work. I couldn't hear whether the hard drive actually spun up, though (I don't think it did, which they usually do when you start your computer.)

I've already tried swapping power supplies, with no change at all.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: My mom's computer sucks V2.0
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Could that be a result of a shitty/fried mobo? I'm not THAT much into hardware setups, but it sounds like if you've given it a perfectly new power supply, that the mobo isn't giving any power/signals to the DVI/D-SUB for the monitor, keyboard, and probably everything else needed to run that PC.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:09:57 PM »
That's what I figured it was, considering the strange aspect of what was actually going on. My mom just decided to go buy a new laptop anyway.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:45:26 PM »
Oh well, good for her haha. Sometimes that's an easier solution for the untrained parents :p

Project compy for boobies?
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
Bah, I've probably got enough hardware for 3 computers in the basement, not counting the 1 working desktop. (which I bought with my own money).

Most of the hardware though is from old computers from my dad's company. Even my mom's old computer was from my dad's company, lol.

But part of the reason for that purchase is that my mom is beginning to understand how much easier laptops can be, as well as the fact that locating motherboards that aren't really being sold any more can be a VERY painful process.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x