Author Topic: Annual "We Should Have An S.Net UT99 Online Battle" Thread  (Read 30568 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Annual "We Should Have An S.Net UT99 Online Battle" Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »
sounds like an MMORPG Jr. :(

Except it has a real plot, and probably the best item system I've seen in any game ever (compared to most MMORPGs who are basically "you hit level x, now you can wear armor set y. Maybe if you get really lucky you'll drop a piece of armor or a weapon that has some sort of stupid useless magical effect, like +2 damage on something that does 250 damage !")

Not to mention the game is based around killing horeds of relatively easy to kill monsters, as opposed to most MMORPGs which are based around monsters being tough enough to require being taken on one at a time, and such.

D2 has a totally different feel from MMORPGs today. Plus, you can go through the plot in 3 different difficulties, and play on Hardcore mode, where if you die, you are permanently dead, but get bonus items/exp for doing so.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »
MMORPG Jr. was just a joke.  I've played Diablo before and loved it.  I expect D2 to be a pimped up version of it (with moar chix to play as?).

Spec: an incorrectly configured grappling hook can unfortunately be a huge game breaker in some levels, especially DOM, CTF, and AS levels.  It's probably best to set up Mapvote LA to only use that mod during certain DM or TDM matches.  Did you want the Telefrag gun mod, too, dat shit is CRAZY.  And when did Nali City go down, that sux >:(

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »
http://www.fileplanet.com/38231/30000/fileinfo/AS-Bridge.  Sorry for the FilePlanet link.  Nali City's been down since forever. D:

Can't I download this threw the server, or will it kick me? I still haven't acquired my UT99 yet.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:52 PM »
Except it has a real plot

MMOs generally have some sort of plot, they're just presented differently.  You aren't forced along a certain path.

Can't I download this threw the server, or will it kick me?

Yeah, you should be able to download it through the server.  It will probably take longer than grabbing it through FileFucker, though.  Your call.

Keep in mind that it is an objective-based Assault map.  Getting a feel for the objectives prior to the event would be a good idea.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
I find that FilePlanet isn't nearly as bad as some of the other sites. I can at least use GetRight and download at a half decent speed. Try that on FileFront.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2008, 01:03:23 AM »
FileFront kicks FilePlanet's ass, mainly because it doesn't have any download queues and pointless forced registrations. <_<  Also, every time I download from FileFront I max out my connection speed (3mbps), so speed certainly isn't an issue for me with that site.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2008, 01:16:44 AM »
Got AS-Bridge and couldn't figure out where to go half the time, but I supose a bazillion Godlikes shooting fucktons of rockets at my ass while I was exploring didn't help (are we playing with team damage on?).  It was pitifully easy to defend the main gate against said bots, though.  I'm glad I finally get to play against some REAL people xD

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2008, 01:43:29 AM »
FileFront kicks FilePlanet's ass, mainly because it doesn't have any download queues and pointless forced registrations. <_<  Also, every time I download from FileFront I max out my connection speed (3mbps), so speed certainly isn't an issue for me with that site.

I have a registration from back when I actually used my hotmail address for something. And most browsers are smart enough to save my password, and for that site, I also happen to have a cookie to auto-login.

And I've never figured out how to get FileFront working in GetRight (My download manager of choice for HTTP downloads). The "download" link just feeds it a webpage (and a damn small one at that).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2008, 02:43:33 AM »
Works great with DownThemAll.

And yeah, I have an old login with a really old Hotmail account (that hasn't worked for about eight years now, heh) that still works, but having to log on to download files from a free server is still dumb.  Why do so many sites (forums and things like that aside) seem to feel as though they need to enforce logins?  Most of the sites that do it simply don't need to.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »
True. The original use for forced logins was to regulate leechers and to try to get them more involved, but since the advent of bots that can make theor own accounts and log in, that has become useless and counterproductive.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2008, 11:04:12 AM »
Another mutator request:  BCC200.  Lets you actually make the bots do what you want them to :U

and Double Enforcers.  Starting with one Enforcer is for squares, this mod actually makes the enforcer a competent weapon from the very start.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:05:47 AM by Rowan »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
and Double Enforcers.  Starting with one Enforcer is for squares, this mod actually makes the enforcer a competent weapon from the very start.

I don't have much of a problem killing people with a single Enforcer...

It does a decent amount of damage and is one of only three instant-hit weapons in the game.  I've played with the Double Enforcer mod and all it winds up doing half of the time is devaluing the minigun due to the akimbo Enforcer's accuracy.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »
Which one is the enforcer again?

And this bot mod, can you give me a little more info, I know next to nothing about bot mods...

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 04:22:55 PM »
it's like the built in bot command menu except more specific about all sorts of stuff.  Like, Tardo and Malakai, camp at the place where I'm standing right now with the Sniper Rifle for one minute.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
Nice. Sounds interesting, might be worth a shot.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x