Author Topic: Opinions Desired (new theme, incoming!)  (Read 19254 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Opinions Desired (new theme, incoming!)
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »

It's obviously not finished, but how does that color scheme jive with everyone?  It's not going to be a simple recolor like Default Purple, it's going to *gasp* actually have some of its own little things (the gradients in the board list is one example).

The theme is for SMF 2.0.  I plan to upgrade within a month and wanted to have more than just the default theme in place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:51:56 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Opinions Desired
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »
Me likey!

I really like the dark-red on black scheme.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Opinions Desired
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
Same here. :)  Plus, I figured it was time for something a bit less bright.  I'll probably post updates on this as I continue to work on it.

As always, the standard theme will still be available for people who are afraid of that dark. ;)

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
Re: Opinions Desired (new theme, incoming!)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
That's pretty sexy!

Go for it!
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »
*thumbs up*
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »
Ugh, I can't stand reading light text on a dark colored back ground, that and red + black has been done before a hundred times.

I suppose grey with white text isn't that bad, but it's still a bit dark.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
Ugh, I can't stand reading light text on a dark colored back ground, that and red + black has been done before a hundred times.

I suppose grey with white text isn't that bad, but it's still a bit dark.

I much prefer reading Light over Dark, since I'm rather light sensitive. I prefer to have a darker overall screen, with text that stands out nicely.

You should see some of my custom programming environment text highlighting settings, you'd have a seizure.

Plus, as he said, the default layout will still be available.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:13:15 PM »
I like it, yes please
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 07:39:39 PM »
I like it but I also agree that reading light text on dark background isn't all that appealing...that and my computer has horrible lighting abilities so I'd probably not be able to see half the stuff on the newer one when/if you implement it.  Think how the MGD forums look and instead of all the grey and lines turn it all black and that is what I see on my computer...I don't even see boxes, I have to highlight them in order to see the quote words and everything is to dark for me so although I like the new colors I think there should still be an option for the brighter screen.
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »
I much prefer reading Light over Dark, since I'm rather light sensitive. I prefer to have a darker overall screen, with text that stands out nicely.

This.

Plus, as he said, the default layout will still be available.

And this.

Ugh, I can't stand reading light text on a dark colored back ground

Light on dark is hard to read; that's why everything is pretty much light gray on dark gray with very little light gray on black (mostly with navigational things).  I played with the contrast for about a half hour before I found the best balance.

that and red + black has been done before a hundred times.

Name a color scheme that hasn't been done a hundred times.  I tried white and purple, which is one of the few ones I can think of that isn't highly used, and people didn't seem to like that.

There's a good reason certain schemes are used often -- they're visually appealing.

Think how the MGD forums look and instead of all the grey and lines turn it all black and that is what I see on my computer...I don't even see boxes, I have to highlight them in order to see the quote words and everything is to dark for me so although I like the new colors I think there should still be an option for the brighter screen.

There will be.  Again, the default blue-on-white isn't going away.

Also, might want to toy with your monitor settings.  Sounds like the CRT itself is dying (if you have that type of display) or the settings on the display itself need tweaked.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »

I like it, though the blue icons are a bit strange in an otherwise red/grey layout.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »

keke :D

I like it, though the blue icons are a bit strange in an otherwise red/grey layout.

Indeed.

The theme isn't in its final stages.  I concentrated on getting most of the CSS work done before I sat down to do the icons and such.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »
Name a color scheme that hasn't been done a hundred times.  I tried white and purple, which is one of the few ones I can think of that isn't highly used, and people didn't seem to like that.

I enjoyed the purple and white one, also black and red is really, REALLY overused. It's like red and white, or orange and black. I don't know, maybe it's just personal taste.

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 11:07:20 PM »
Also, might want to toy with your monitor settings.  Sounds like the CRT itself is dying (if you have that type of display) or the settings on the display itself need tweaked.

I have...I've gone from 0%-100% on every single setting and every comibination of them...nothing worked...I don't think I have CRT because the comp monitor is meant for the almost non existant windows ME (Millenium Edition) and the comp runs on XP so that may be another thing that makes it suck ass.
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 11:20:42 PM »
I have...I've gone from 0%-100% on every single setting and every comibination of them...nothing worked...I don't think I have CRT because the comp monitor is meant for the almost non existant windows ME (Millenium Edition) and the comp runs on XP so that may be another thing that makes it suck ass.

I had problems with a monitor that was becoming too dark. It was a CRT, and it was dieing (and later did actually die).

CRT:

LCD

I enjoyed the purple and white one, also black and red is really, REALLY overused. It's like red and white, or orange and black. I don't know, maybe it's just personal taste.

It is personal taste, because as spec said, every combination that looks good, has been done a million times over. There are only so many color combinations possible, and most of the ones that look good have been used somewhere, so unless you can come up with a color combination that looks good and HASN'T been used, this is the best we're gonna get.
Light on dark is hard to read; that's why everything is pretty much light gray on dark gray with very little light gray on black (mostly with navigational things).  I played with the contrast for about a half hour before I found the best balance.

Quite true. Though my IDE settings for assembly programming were generally something like medium gray over black, with highlights in bright green, blues, purples reds, maroons and such for making things very separated, I would definitely not set my entire system to that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x