Author Topic: Help. StackHash crashes when I right-click files...  (Read 3336 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Help. StackHash crashes when I right-click files...
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »
Ok, since nobody seems to be looking at my post in the Vista Tips thread (stuck it there because this is a vista  related problem), I'll repost it here.

I'm having a bit of a big problem with my computer right now. I cannot right click files. Period. I can't even use the keyboard shortcuts. Whenever I do, explorer crashes.

I'd kinda like to be able to right click files and get a context menu. It makes it hard to navigate some things, not to mention the fact that for some reason the "empty recycle bin" button also causes this crash.

At first glance, it seems to have something to do with DEP, but forcing it to ignore explorer doesn't change anything. I have done some googling, but this seems to be a VERY problematic crash. It's common, but it seems to affect many different programs, and likely has many causes (or is a virus that has not been linked to it and causes this issue in many different ways.

So I'm stumped. I've done system restores and everything, all to no avail, so uhh, anyone got any idea what the christ is going on?

EDIT: Installed AVG, scanned, and nothing. Well, it caught 2 unrelated trojans. Oddly, the resident shield now doesn't work. Originally, it was working, according to AVG, but I wanted to test if anything had changed by right-clicking a file... Nope, explorer still crashed, and then AVG suddenly reported that the Resident Shield stopped running, and it hasn't reported that is has been running since (albeit the "protected for" counter has still been counting up).

This is REALLY being a pain...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:07:14 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Help. StackHash crashes when I right-click files...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »
Ok, so now my volume/network/power icons have been disabled. This is REALLY beginning to become a pain, and I can't find my damn CD to install/repair my vista. :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x