Author Topic: Fifth Generation Console Wars  (Read 6224 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Fifth Generation Console Wars
« on: December 09, 2008, 01:48:13 AM »
You didn't own a Playstation? What was wrong with you?

The Playstation is seriously overrated.  For every good game there are at least a hundred shitty ripoffs.  Considering I had to buy most of my own entertainment when I was 10, I decided against buying one.  And besides, I already had a perfectly good computer and PC gaming was awesome at the time.

And besides, it's not like I couldn't just play one of the two games that I liked at my friend's place.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:26:59 AM »
And besides, it's not like I couldn't just play one of the two games that I liked at my friend's place.

You only liked TWO playstation games? Nigga you must be kidding. Sure the Playstation was overrated but it was just as good as the N64.

Also ouch, 10 years old and having to buy your own console? I'm glad my mom used to get me consoles for christmas.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »
I actually liked the PSX quite a bit better than the N64.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
I actually liked the PSX quite a bit better than the N64.

Reasons PS1(X) is good:

1) Great controller using new analog abilities while still having the old d-pad
2) Great games with awesome graphics
3) Building on franchises and creating new ones that appealed to the modern consumer.
4) Ape Escape
5) More but not going to be mentioned

Reasons N64 is good:

1) Great controller using the new analog abilities while still having the old d-pad
2) Great games from old Nintendo games but with wwaaayyy better ideas in 3-d.
3) Ocarina Of Time
4) Placing more buttons on the controller allowing games to become a little more complex if needed.
5) Mario Party 1-3
6) Smash Bros.

Reasons PS1(X) is bad:

1) Controller broke quite easily
2) A Bug's Life
3) Ape Escape (I realize this is also in the good area)
4) More but not mentioning

Reasons N64 is bad:

1) Variety in gaming
2) Variety in characters
3) Controller design....kinda don't know where to put your hand depending on which game you play.
4) Using 64 for all of the titles....annoying!
5) More but not mentioning

Overall they both have cool upsides and horrible downsides but in general the PSX dominated over N64 because they had more action based games while N64 was more family based, like the Wii is today.
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:17:05 PM »
In general, Nintendo has been more family oriented. Hell, they DID actively censor things early on. And now, they just tend to avoid having more adult games released. I noticed that AGES ago, which was one of the things that drew me to the PSX/PS2.

I preferred the PSX controller to the 64. For some reason it seemed to be easier to make the buttons on the 64 sticky, and the 64's Analog sticks just plain SUCKED. Not to mention they became almost unplayable as they aged (and were used. Sure, you can have 64 controllers that work fine, but any that have been used over the years are likely degraded). My PSX controller is still fine.

And in general, I preferred most of the games on the PSX to those on the 64, except for the odd exception (Goldeneye.. Turok.. Smash Bros.)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »
64 > Saturn > Playstation

At the moment, I'm playing Sonic the Hedgehog for the NES. An unlicensed port from the Genesis to the NES.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:25:45 PM by Pancake »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Fifth Generation Console Wars
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 11:37:30 PM »
You only liked TWO playstation games? Nigga you must be kidding.

Exaggerating, yes.

There were about two hundred bad and mediocre games for every good game.  I liked about as many PSX games as N64 games and I didn't have to slog through as much rubbish with the N64.

Also ouch, 10 years old and having to buy your own console? I'm glad my mom used to get me consoles for christmas.

My parents bought me a PS2 for Christmas when they were a bit better off, but they generally let me fend for myself.  They mainly wanted me to have things that would help me learn something.  You can both learn and play on computers, so that was the obvious choice for them.

AND THAT'S WHAT TURNED ME INTO THE NERD I AM TODAY. ;D

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
I preferred the PSX controller to the 64. For some reason it seemed to be easier to make the buttons on the 64 sticky, and the 64's Analog sticks just plain SUCKED. Not to mention they became almost unplayable as they aged (and were used. Sure, you can have 64 controllers that work fine, but any that have been used over the years are likely degraded). My PSX controller is still fine.

Fuccen truth. The N64 controller design was never bad, but the overall quality of the buttons/joystick were fucking awful. Plus those joysticks could put holes in your hand (lol mario party).

Exaggerating, yes.

There were about two hundred bad and mediocre games for every good game.  I liked about as many PSX games as N64 games and I didn't have to slog through as much rubbish with the N64.

True, PS always had a bunch of shovel ware games, but it's not like you had to buy them.

The only thing that bothers me is how everyone claims the N64 had better multiplayer games just because of Golden eye and Super smash, when the playstation had CTR (SUPERIOR to mario kart) Twisted Metal series, a superior version of V8, Robopit, The Jetmoto series, Street fighter,  and Darkstalkers just to name a few.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »
True, PS always had a bunch of shovel ware games, but it's not like you had to buy them.

Yeah, but it kind of ruins the whole image of the system overall. :/

I really didn't like the entire fifth generation of consoles that much at all.  It just really bugs me how some people think that the PSX/N64/whatever is like the second coming of Christ when, in fact, none of them were really all that outstanding.  It's like the 8-bit generation versus the 16-bit generation -- the 8-bit brought a lot of cool franchises on the table and the 16-bit era made them incredible.  Similarly, the PSX and N64 introduced brought along a lot of nice new franchises and concepts and the next generation took them to the next level.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 12:40:58 AM »

The only thing that bothers me is how everyone claims the N64 had better multiplayer games just because of Golden eye and Super smash, when the playstation had CTR (SUPERIOR to mario kart) Twisted Metal series, a superior version of V8, Robopit, The Jetmoto series, Street fighter,  and Darkstalkers just to name a few.

I have a REALLY hard time thinking CTR is in any way better than MK64. It was good but it was on par with Diddy Kong Racing at best. Twisted Metal, eh. I liked Wave Race a lot more than Jetmoto, and I had a Saturn for fighting games.

When Smash 64 came out, I didn't know anyone that played it at all. It was just me and my friend Phil.  Goldeneye was totally eventually outclassed by Perfect Dark when it came out anyway. The N64 had Bomberman 64 though. And Tetrisphere. In the end though, I actually think the N64 didn't have a whole lot of multiplayer games. It just had a few really REALLY good ones.

The PSX basically had RPG's, which meant I eventually needed one. Of my entire PSX library, only a few are anything other than RPGs at all. Meanwhile, my N64 library had stuff like Snowboard Kids 1+2, Mystical Ninja 64, Zelda, Banjo Kazooie, Blast Corps, and so many more.

It's nearly impossible for me to choose between any of them. They all amazing games of completely different genres and none of them dominated all that many.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »
An unlicensed port from the Genesis to the NES.
:( oh man, I tried playing that once.  I grabbed some rings and fell into the hole -- it wouldn't kill me because I kept picking up the rings I dropped, but I couldn't get out.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:17:33 AM »
It's nearly impossible for me to choose between any of them. They all amazing games of completely different genres and none of them dominated all that many.

I'd definitely agree with that, each console could stand up on its own and one didn't out shine the other by that much in most peoples eyes. Hell, I WISHED I owned both, but I had a few friends that had an N64 so it worked out nicely.

Also that sucks about smash 64, I played that game like crazy when I was younger. Maybe because I was a lot younger then you at the time, but whatever.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:54 AM »

Which I think is why there wasn't really a huge feeling of competition between them. Each of them kinda had their niches, and did what they did best.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x