Author Topic: Chrono Trigger for DS  (Read 5164 times)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger for DS
« on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »
I just recently finished up Chrono Trigger for the DS and here are my thoughts and opinion about it:

Cons:
I like getting the nitty gritty stuff out of the way first so the pro side of things makes it better.

Item Name Changes
Not really a big deal but just you know just nit picking really.  For example "Tonics" are no longer called that but no are called by their FF counter parts "Potions". Another item rename: Revives are now called Athenean Waters.  The various tabs are now called capsels...DBZ much?

Element and Magic Name Changes
So remember how Chrono used to be lightning elemental...guess what now he some how became Holy elemental.
Various magic names have been changed here are a few examples:

Chrono:
Confusion->Frenzie
Life-> Raise

Marle:
Life 2-> Arise

Robo:
Uzzi Punch->Rapid Fire Fist

Pro:
There are a shit ton of good things about this remake. I will give you a basic idea.
Mind you it is the same old game with new things added.

Beastiary
Ever wonder what Lavos's various forms HP was?  Well guess what they added it so if you play again through New Game Plus you now know.  (Also helps with charming items as well considering I have 10 gold studs...talk about spamming Ayla's charm tech :P)

Arena of the Ages
A new little mini-game where you can raise monsters and battle them with other people with a DS.  They have decent Equipment and Items but it is really doesn't matter if you are at the Black Omen and have the best equipment in the game.

New Dungeon
I have not beat it yet so I will edit when I do...but it more along the lines of a mini-side quest.

Classic or DS Mode
Yes you can play Chrono Trigger as you did on the SNES on the top screen (or emulator for I) or play with both screens. I used the DS mode.  Wow was it the most useful interface ever. Top screen showed the charaters the bottom screen had a map of the area and shortcuts to the various sub-menus in the main menu.  So instead of trying to see how many tech points you need for say Luminare and doing the following: Y->Tech ( a lightning symbol)->select Chrono->  xxx pts Luminare, you touch the lightning symbol and vola tech menu.  (Unrelated but I will put it in here any way for space issue because I know Spectere will gut me down like a ganish corn hen [name the game for the win] all items, equipment, ect have their own sub catagories for less clutter fuck.) It is now much easier in DS mode to select the enemy to target.

Translation and Video Clips
OHMYFUCKINGGODITTOOKTHEMTHITTEENFUCKINGYEARSTOGETTHEDAMNTRANSLATIONCORRECT!
Statement says it above.
They took the animated clips from the PSX release of the game and threw them in for good measure...I liked it!

There is much more I could say but I rather have you was..er...I mean thoughtfully spend your money on a great game.

Overall rating 9.75/10

I now give the floor to the other residents of Spoop...I mean S.Net for comments, thoughts and questions about the game.

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger for DS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:46:20 PM »
The stuff you can get from the Monster Arena outclasses anything you can get at the point where you are in the game. I haven't even touched the Black Omen and I have multiple Prism Specs, multiple Gold Studs, Haste/Guardian/super awesome helms, Zodiac Capes, Prismatic Dresses, and other stuff. You also get Capsules sometimes. The best equipment is actually from the new dungeons now anyway. Pretty much everyone got much better stuff. Get Robo the Apocalypse Arm and equip that accessory that gives him a higher chance for critical. He'll miss a bunch but when he hits, he'll do 9999.

Crono was always supposed to be Light/Holy element. That's what he was originally. They just changed it to Lightning.

And yeah, of course it's going to use DBZ's naming for a bunch of stuff. Toriyama made most of it. It's all what it was originally supposed to be.

Confusion didn't even make sense for that attack's name. Hell, when I was younger, I don't think I ever tried to use it because it sounded like it just caused CONFUSION. Frenzy is better.

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
DBZ much?

Hmm...Chrono's Hair....hmm??
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Update: 9/28/08--Added expert difficulties for some songs and a hard difficulty
           9/30/08--Changed reasoning for song pack and added a few songs to Not Started
           10/5/08--Finished AA and have keyboard steps in the second parentheses
           10/14/08--Finished Do It Like We Do and working on a few new ones

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »
Also the animate clips looks like SJ's work.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:33:53 PM »
I SEE NO CONS, MIGHT BUY

Leo: Toriyama is the guy who drew both Goku and Crono (and every other DBZ and CT character), so yeah <:U

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:39:28 PM »
Get Robo the Apocalypse Arm and equip that accessory that gives him a higher chance for critical. He'll miss a bunch but when he hits, he'll do 9999.

Damn...I though the Crisis Arm and Rapid fire fist was deadly 0.0

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 10:41:02 PM »
Leo: Toriyama is the guy who drew both Goku and Crono (and every other DBZ and CT character), so yeah <:U

I knew that already...just thought it was funny because the hair was almost exactly the same...possibly a cross dimensional son that doesn't have a tail.  Looks like SSJ4 goku without the hair all over the body, but that may be because he hasn't gone all the way through puberty.  Has anyone else noticed that the average game/movie hero is like 13-16 years of age, and that they are dumb as all hell?
New updates for the pack Calamitous Strike posted here in my sig...also no PM's about BG's/BN's yet...I still need art for my songs.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:26:12 AM »
I don't think I actually knew that.... Wow. That aside, I'm still sorta upset that they changed the names. Sure, it's more in line with the original idea, but I dunno, I'm just too much of a retro gamer, I guess.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Leorina

• Nerd Loving Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 12:32:40 PM »
I just got it.............SWEEEEEEETTTT!!!!

I'm still in present time and at the town fair thing...and I'm glad that they translated it properly, I'm comparing it to the one on my SNES emulator and there are already a couple differences, and I'm only at the beginning.  DS mode is amazing also.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
That's awesome.  Enjoy.