Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 15373 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »
I've been thinking about trying the beta, but honestly, I'd rather not get attached to anything and then be forced to live without it until I get a new computer and am forced to buy Windows 7 (Because I don't pirate my OS's).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »
I'd rather not get attached to anything and then be forced to live without it until I get a new computer and am forced to buy Windows 7

Get the OEM version from Newegg.  You can get the full install for less than you can get the upgrade edition at retail prices, no joke.

Case in point: I got Vista Ultimate for $160 after I built my new system.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
If I had enough money to, I would definitely look into that. However, as things stand now I have less than $40 to my name, and even that money is stuff I've gotten off my parents to help me pay for stuff while I go to school. I've been living off my parents for the past $1500 or so I've spent :/

Read your PMs!

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
I played around with 7 for a bit because I was going to reinstall Windows anywho and thought it was quite awesome. It is definitely something I could convert to from XP once it's fully developed. The only problem which prevents me from using it at the moment is that after I installed it, I wasn't able to install the driver for my sound card. The sound card is really old and Creative stopped updating the driver a long time ago. I also couldn't connect to the internet for some reason :[

I will definitely switch to Windows 7 once I get my new computer and shit, though. At least for a little while to see if it could be a full-time thing.

Oh and that reminds me, would anyone here care to explain how to set up a partition on a hard drive? Nothing too big, but enough to fit Windows 7 and some other stuff on. I am capable of backing up an entire HD if needed.

OKAY see you all in another month!!
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »

Truer words were never spoken.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »
I played around with 7 for a bit because I was going to reinstall Windows anywho and thought it was quite awesome. It is definitely something I could convert to from XP once it's fully developed. The only problem which prevents me from using it at the moment is that after I installed it, I wasn't able to install the driver for my sound card. The sound card is really old and Creative stopped updating the driver a long time ago. I also couldn't connect to the internet for some reason :[

Is your sound card a SoundBlaster Live?  If so, I feel your pain. :|  I've taken to using the kX drivers in XP, but I don't think that's an option in Vista and 7, though (I don't use my SBLive in my new rig).

Oh and that reminds me, would anyone here care to explain how to set up a partition on a hard drive? Nothing too big, but enough to fit Windows 7 and some other stuff on. I am capable of backing up an entire HD if needed.

When you get to the partition selection screen in the Windows 7 installer it'll let you shrink your NTFS partition down.  It's pretty much just a matter of selecting your existing partition, clicking "shrink," and bumping it down a few notches.  20GB should be enough for Windows 7.  I think the base install is around 6-7GB (hard to say for sure since I installed it to a partition with lots of stuffage on it) so that should give you enough for the OS and plenty of extra fluff.

It makes me sad because I know you're not kidding. =(

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
I got the ISO, but I don't have any software for burning a DVD ISO. Also, just wondering, is it easy to keep it from installing its own bootloader?

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 06:27:21 AM »
No.  You wouldn't want to anyway, BCD is hell to configure manually.

If you're worried about GRUB, follow the steps here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

They're applicable to any Linux distro that uses GRUB, not just Ubuntu.

If you're worried about XP, boot to the XP CD, drop to a command prompt, and use FIXMBR and FIXBOOT.

If you're worried about Vista, just boot to the Vista CD and run the repair tool.  It'll restore the MBR automagically.

K-Mann

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »
Bump because it is officially released today.

Any word on how it is? After 8 months I hope someone learned a bit more about it lol

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 04:17:37 PM »
I have been using Windows 7 for about two months and so far it's wonderful. Almost everything I thought they needed to fix about XP has been. With XP, I would feel like I needed to find an alternate piece of software to everything that came stock with it, but they've really improved most of the essential tools in 7 so I don't have to fill up my computer with a bunch of crap. I'm even using Explorer instead of something like xplorer2 or UltraExplorer.

It should be noted, however, that I've been spending a lot less brain-power on learning computery things, and mostly just use my computer for email, music, videos and playing Spore, but my every-day interaction with Windows 7 is a lot less stressful and more smooth.

I really like the new Explorer, actually. How the folder tree area is set up is so much better. And the libraries feature makes it a lot easier to keep things organized. In general, the entire OS is way more organized and consistent with itself.

I give it 856,243 out of 1,000,000 stars.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »
maybe i should go get my free copy (+shipping) from ASUS.......
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
In addition to what sq3r said in his yearly update, Windows 7 has some pretty nice new features on the window management side of things.

Aero Shake is kind of neat.  Basically, it's like a "minimize all but this window" feature.  Click the title bar and wiggle the mouse a bit to trigger it.  Not sure how often I'll actually wind up using it, but we'll see.

The way Microsoft revamped the way that windows move is awesome.  Windows that are maximized will automatically restore if you pull the title bar down.  This makes moving a maximized window from one monitor to the next incredibly fast and intuitive.  Being able to snap the window to one side of the desktop is very nice (it was even touched upon in one of Microsoft's commercials for Windows 7) and is something that I'll probably use quite often.  The only "problem" with it is that it doesn't let you snap the window to the gap between the two monitors.  No biggie; Win+Left and Win+Right will take care of that.  It's better than accidentally snapping the window when you're just trying to drag something from one display to the next, at any rate.

The ability to launch applications on the taskbar using simple keyboard shortcuts is something that I've been longing for since the QuickLaunch bar was introduced (you know, in WINDOWS 95).  Just tap Win+number to activate the object at that spot.

The search engine is much faster and more responsive than the one in Vista.  Even when searching unindexed locations it was able to pop up some results almost instantly.  The start menu search is lightning fast.  It will generally give you some sort of result before you can even finish typing the word in (typing in "command", for "Command Prompt", gives me a result by the time I'm half-way done typing the first word).

UAC is far less intrusive without sacrificing security.  While I am still keeping it off on my home system for various reasons, I've been running it on my work system for a few weeks now and haven't seen a reason to disable it.  Only a select few system changes will trigger a UAC popup, making it far less annoying and chatty than UAC and any sudo-based solution I've seen.

It's a shame Firefox is so behind the curve when it comes to the new taskbar.  IE is such a dream to use due to some of the new taskbar features that Windows 7 has had in place for MONTHS (they were in the first publicly-released beta, after all) that Firefox seriously seems clunky in comparison.  Here's hoping they start supporting the new features in the next couple of versions.

I haven't messed with HomeGroups, so I'm not going to comment on that.  It's a very cool concept, though.  Workgroups are not a particularly intuitive way of putting any sort of network together, be it a home network or otherwise.  From what I've seen, HomeGroups look like a simple domain setup, making it far easier to successfully connect to the other systems in the house (something that workgroups certainly DO NOT allow for, since it's merely an organizational method).  Having a central password is far better for your average user's sanity than requiring logon passwords and the like on every machine (or modifying group policy settings).

Aero Peek is wonderful.  It makes finding the right window incredibly easy.  The thumbnails in Vista were nice, but having access to both makes it hard to make mistakes.

Progress bars can now be shown on the new taskbar, which is nothing short of awesome.  Again, a feature that Firefox desperately needs to support.

The layout of the control panel and display personalization screens are a serious improvement over Vista.  Vista made desktop personalization far more logical than XP (since XP follows the Windows 95 "put a bunch of unrelated crap into one screen" policy to a T), but Windows 7 goes the extra mile by both keeping things sensible and making them more intuitive.  Rather than breaking everything up into separate screens like in Vista, Windows 7 merges the screens where appropriate, lumping most major aspects of user personalization (including desktop wallpapers, screen savers, desktop icons, mouse pointers, and the user's Welcome screen picture) into one screen and pushing the screen resolution into a different one.  Quite nice.

The Action Center is a major improvement over the Ye Olde Security Center in XP and Vista.  Rather than making it an all on or all off component, Windows 7 now lets you deactivate specific warnings.  If you don't want it bugging you about disabling automatic updates but still want to know if your virus definitions are outdated, you can do it.

The Network and Sharing Center is a bit less daunting than it is in Vista.  I'm still not particularly happy with the way that the interface is laid out, but at least Windows 7 puts some of the more advanced settings (such as disabling password protected file sharing in workgroup networks) a bit further out of reach of casual users, instead pushing the more intuitive features such as HomeGroup.

The system tray has changed quite a bit.  Rather than having to go into that annoying "customize notifications" screen every time you want to hide an icon, Windows 7 lets you merely drag the icon off the task bar to hide it, and drag it back on to put it back in.  You can also rearrange the system tray icons.  If you want your volume control to be on the far left instead of the far right, just drag it over there.

As far as hardware support goes, Windows 7 has picked up every single piece of hardware in both my system and my dad's.  Between my system and his, only his (old) TV tuner was unsupported.  Basically, if Vista supports it, Windows 7 will.

So yes, it's definitely a nice OS.  I'm very happy with it so far.

Edit: I forgot to mention this: Windows 7 is capable of installing video card drivers without requiring a restart.  Freaking beautiful.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 03:56:58 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:52 PM »
Everything you said makes me want windows 7 a lot. But in particular these jumped out at me as being awesome

The way Microsoft revamped the way that windows move is awesome.  Windows that are maximized will automatically restore if you pull the title bar down.  This makes moving a maximized window from one monitor to the next incredibly fast and intuitive.  Being able to snap the window to one side of the desktop is very nice (it was even touched upon in one of Microsoft's commercials for Windows 7) and is something that I'll probably use quite often.  The only "problem" with it is that it doesn't let you snap the window to the gap between the two monitors.  No biggie; Win+Left and Win+Right will take care of that.  It's better than accidentally snapping the window when you're just trying to drag something from one display to the next, at any rate.

The ability to launch applications on the taskbar using simple keyboard shortcuts is something that I've been longing for since the QuickLaunch bar was introduced (you know, in WINDOWS 95).  Just tap Win+number to activate the object at that spot.

The search engine is much faster and more responsive than the one in Vista.  Even when searching unindexed locations it was able to pop up some results almost instantly.  The start menu search is lightning fast.  It will generally give you some sort of result before you can even finish typing the word in (typing in "command", for "Command Prompt", gives me a result by the time I'm half-way done typing the first word).

I've always loved the whole snap feature with winamp, and thought that more programs could benefit from that sort of feature, so it's awesome to see that being prominent in 7. I'm not sure if I'll ever use the win+# combo, that that is definitely cool, and helpful to have. And thank god they sped up the search engine. I mean, it's decently speedy on my vista, but there is some lag there, and searching unindexed locations is much slower than I'd like. Though I have to say, you actually type "command" for the command prompt? Why not just cmd... It works just the same, and "command" brings up more stuff for me, as well as taking longer to type.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x