Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 3456 times)

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
Geocaching
« on: January 12, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
So I started geocaching within the past few days. I remember distinctly a thread on a0 about it, which is where I first learned about it, and forgot about it, until my mom brought up the fact that her sister got her grandkids GPSes for geocaching, and my mom told me it sounded cool and we should try it. i was like damn, mom, when did you get so cool.

i made my first find yesterday. it was really easy but still satisfying. tried to locate another cache today but failed miserably. i knew the general location but i looked EVERYWHERE for the thing and after a half hour it started getting dark and i gave up. i'll try again tomorrow on the way to another cache and volunteering at the library.

for the uninformed:

www.geocaching.com

basically it's a global treasure hunt. you get ridiculously precise coordinates and you go around trying to find things other people have hidden, and vice versa.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:52:49 AM »
That's honestly pretty cool. Too bad I live near nothing but cow fields and protected wet lands.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:21:34 AM »
Me and some friends tried this a while back, but we never found anything. It was disappointing, especially after climbing down a steep incline with lots of bushes and trees.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
Just do a search for your zip code, i'm sure you'll find a decent number of caches in your area, even if you live in the boonies.

and annon, are you sure your gps wasn't jacked up or something? i tried to find my first cache with my parents for like a half hour, but tried it again the next day with a different gps and found it within like 5 minutes (it was like 300 yards away from where we were originally looking >___>) we tried using a magellan car GPS first, and then i remembered how we have a magellan sportrak GPS laying around, untampered with, so i used that and it worked like a charm.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE