Author Topic: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread  (Read 555285 times)

Ulti

• View Profile
Re: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2007, 04:34:42 PM »
I'm still lolling at turnpike.

Are you planning to live at home? Or are you dorming? I've got basically the same problem, but I'm about 2 hours away.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2007, 02:25:44 AM »
I'm waiting, getting a job, and saving money, because college costs way too fucking much. We're not all rich. Plus, for 1 year, my college costs about the same as most people's university tuitions for a year. $18 900 for a 1 year course in music recording and engineering. My parents have a $5000 GIC in my name which is available until I'm 21 if used for my education, but aside from that, I'll have to take out a loan. And $18 900 is a VERY big loan. The place I'm planning on going is in Mississauga, which is part of Toronto (one of the cities that Toronto absorbed when it was expanding) and is like, 2 hours away. The place is a specialized institute, so while there are no dorms or special housing, the company that handles their loans is willing to loan 100% of the tuition AND living expenses. Which means that while I will be able to afford it technically, I'm going to have one HEFTY loan on my hands afterwards.

So, I'm planning on working at Elcan if I can, which is a very nice place to get a job, if you can. They primarily manufacture lenses for sniper scopes, but they also make a lot of other things, both military and non-military. They are a child company of Raytheon, which as of 2005 is the 5th largest military contractor in the world.

They're one of the few remaining places that still sort of adhere to that "work for a company, wo9rk there all your life" mentality. They will help pay for training and such if you want to move up, for something like a CNC machine operator. Plus, most of the jobs there that are skilled like CNC machinists and such are jobs you can find just about anywhere, so if I decide on going for one of those instead of a music recorder, I'll probably be able to go pretty much anywhere I want and get a job, because there's always huge demand for jobs like that.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2007, 02:29:58 AM »
Are you planning to live at home? Or are you dorming? I've got basically the same problem, but I'm about 2 hours away.

It's a public college so theirs no dorms. I might be able to get an appointment in some ghetto part of Northlake.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2007, 02:32:22 AM »
Bobbias: Whoa, that's fairly impressive, the job thing. Sucks about the cash problems, a bunch of my friends are in similar positions. I kind of lucked out, and my parents are able to pay for tuition and room and board, but I've got to take care of everything else myself, so I've been working this summer, and will probably get a job up at school after first quarter.

Morti: Really? You mean like a community college? Or what? Because I'm going to a state school, but they've got dorms :s

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2007, 03:17:38 AM »
I'd be pretty impressed if someone was enough of a mooch to just read an entire novel, in a bookstore.

When Harry Potter came out, a guy picked up his reserved copy at 9am (open), sat down, and read the entire book. He finished at 9:30pm and didn't buy the book.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2007, 04:01:45 AM »
Hahaha, that's awesome.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2007, 04:06:34 AM »
Morti: Really? You mean like a community college? Or what? Because I'm going to a state school, but they've got dorms :s

Yeah community college. I might just take my first 2 years here, I really don't know.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2007, 04:07:19 AM »
Oh, alright. I have several friends who're doing that, they're going to get their AA degree, then transfer to a university.

vladgd

« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2007, 04:25:52 AM »
i have a job interview in around 10 hours.

this could possibly mean, i get a job.

wish me luck, i graduated high school june 2006, and its about fucking time i get a job.

and if i get this job, i will probly cry, because its a video rental place, 2 mins from my house, and it would be a nice easy place to work at.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2007, 04:38:51 AM »
They are a child company of Raytheon, which as of 2005 is the 5th largest military contractor in the world.

They're one of the few remaining places that still sort of adhere to that "work for a company, wo9rk there all your life" mentality. They will help pay for training and such if you want to move up, for something like a CNC machine operator.

My Aunt works for Raytheon. She has worked there for over 35 years. She's the Senior Specialty Purchaser for West Raytheon N.A. yep. Basically, she's the head honcho when it comes to buying things for projects, like for prototypes and even big screens and servers for the USS Ronald Reagan.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2007, 04:42:19 AM »
That's totally fucking badass.

I find it kinda weird that we've got 3 stations in Elcan, and one happens to be in this backwater town, lol. On the bright side, it's a great place to work.. one of the few around here really.

I do hope I get in.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »
and if i get this job, i will probly cry, because its a video rental place, 2 mins from my house, and it would be a nice easy place to work at.

Good luck

I do hope I get in.

Good luck.

Also my parents what me to do a ton of stuff around the house, so it looks like I'm going to be doing school work all day.

vladgd

« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
interview seemed to go fairly well in my eyes, hopefully they will call me soon.

/cross fingers

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »
Sonofabitch, my cigars are missing :<
If someone took them from under my bed, I'm gonna fucking freak. It's not so much the loss of the money, but the fact that I believe the only way that they could have gone missing is that someone took them.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »