Author Topic: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread  (Read 550228 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread
« Reply #720 on: September 30, 2007, 03:36:10 AM »
I'd end up going postal and sending scathing emails to the customers telling them to go read a book and learn something about computers next time something breaks.. Or at least, doing that to all the idiots who are complete morons and have no real excuse other than not knowing jack shit.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #721 on: September 30, 2007, 05:43:15 PM »
Ow, christ. Sprained my finger canoeing today. Had a blast though.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #722 on: September 30, 2007, 07:28:28 PM »
I played IIDX today for the first time in a while.  Getting everything together was painful enough, because my PS2, power cable, A/V cables, and Swap Magic discs were all in separate boxes for whatever reason.  Then I quickly realized that you really don't lose any skill after taking an extended break, your wrist just likes to totally seize up after a relatively short period of time.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 30, 2007, 09:21:34 PM »
Playing Inori 7k will cripple you.

I totally rearranged my room and bought a nice bookshelf. It looks super nice now.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #724 on: September 30, 2007, 11:01:28 PM »
I still suck at IIDX and wish there were more good songs on the US version :/

On the plus side, Tuesday, I've got an interview with Elcan, so hopefully I'll do well at the interview and have a job soon..

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 30, 2007, 11:09:50 PM »
IRC trivia games become much easier with an always-on-top Wikipedia widget.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #726 on: September 30, 2007, 11:26:17 PM »
It's official: My Shakugan no Shana DS translation project now has an official website (read: official test page). http://lonelytrans.spectere.net and my blog is also there: http://lonelytrans.spectere.net/blog/

WEWT. Thanks a lot Spec.

Oh, and if anyone knows any good simfile authors to check out, I'm kinda lost now that I no longer follow the forums and such. (a0 was a great place to learn about what sim makers were good and such :/)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 12:14:22 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #727 on: October 01, 2007, 12:57:33 AM »
Playing Inori 7k will cripple you.

Thanks, I'll be sure to avoid that one. :P

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 01, 2007, 01:53:24 AM »
Oh shit, wii code 3833 5604 8296 7108, add me.

Bishes better add me and be prepared for when supar smash comes out.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #729 on: October 01, 2007, 04:39:04 AM »
So, I'm writing my own homepage for my SnS DS translation project page... In PHP... Using SQL... Which I've never done before......

My head wants to explode. I have a newfound respect for PHP programmers :/ Fuck I hate web scripting.

Notepad++ is very useful, but still.. My head :S

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #730 on: October 01, 2007, 05:06:27 AM »
So, I'm writing my own homepage for my SnS DS translation project page... In PHP... Using SQL... Which I've never done before......

My head wants to explode. I have a newfound respect for PHP programmers :/ Fuck I hate web scripting.

I know how you feel.  If Hell is real every techie that goes down there will undoubtedly be forced to write PHP applications for an eternity.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #731 on: October 01, 2007, 05:37:17 AM »
IRC trivia games become much easier with an always-on-top Wikipedia widget.

IRC? why the hell arent you on irc.phazenet.com #s.net ?

also, I request a screen cap of the flowchart you use, sneaky. Newf too. Oh, and PHP is a lot easier than perl. Hahahahahahahaaaaaaa oh god. perl. wow. oh wow. just wow. perl. wow.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:38:55 AM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #732 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:16 AM »
I've given up for the time being.

Since I can't simply connect to the server from the MySQL client I downloaded, I have to write pages to do all the SQL queries for me :/ The only plus side I can think of is that I'll finally have written a useful page in PHP, an will have learned SQL. But seriously, argh.

I'm making pages to A) Create a table for the progress information for the game ("Task, Completion, Priority, and Workers"), And B) Insert or update the rows for it.

I'm not using AJAX or anything because my head will explode if I have to. If I used AJAX I know I could place all of this on 1 page.

My main page will have a section which will display the info on the project.

Also, is the Primary Key sequential or anything? I don't know much about it except that it's likely the best way to go about making my update function work.

Also, PERL would be the true techie hell. Not only is it worse than PHP, it's just plain fucking UGLY.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #733 on: October 01, 2007, 05:44:10 AM »
ajax is good for cleaning bath tubs.

and i refuse to use perl unless absolutely necessary. God, the humanity.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #734 on: October 01, 2007, 06:38:16 AM »
Since I can't simply connect to the server from the MySQL client I downloaded, I have to write pages to do all the SQL queries for me :/

Yeah, it's probably set up so that only 1&1 web servers can connect to the MySQL server.

Still not sure if there is a safe, secure way to hook you and Kuroneko up with PHPMyAdmin or something similar...

Also, is the Primary Key sequential or anything? I don't know much about it except that it's likely the best way to go about making my update function work.

The primary key ensures that there is at least one unique value in every row of a table in a relational database.  I don't believe it's sequential by default; you may have to specifically set that column to autoincrement.  I honestly don't remember.

If you want to know what the primary key is actually used for, see the end of this post.

Also, PERL would be the true techie hell. Not only is it worse than PHP, it's just plain fucking UGLY.

Perl makes up for it in a way by how ridiculously powerful it is.  I actually intend to learn that.

The biggest problems with PHP are that (1) the language is a giant pile of kludges and inconsistencies and (2) you have to fight with HTML code to get all of the major web browsers to render your code properly.  In my experience with PHP I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's just a bad language.

I think I'd actually have fun doing web applications with Mono/.NET, mainly because those languages actually make logical sense and don't feel like a giant workaround.

And now for my primary key explanation:

The primary key isn't a very big deal in single-table "databases" but when you start linking tables together it becomes incredibly important.

For instance, let's say you have two tables, users and posts.  The posts table has three columns -- id, message, and user -- and the users table has two -- id and name.  In both tables, id is the primary key.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that our users table looks like this:

idname
0Spectere
1Bobbias
2Zakamiro
3Kuroneko

Now, what we want to do is link the two tables so that the numbers in the user column in the posts table correspond to the users on the system.  This, in effect, creates a one-to-many relationship between the users table and the posts table -- one user can create make posts.

Since the id column in the users field is set as the primary key, each row in the table must have a unique value in this field.  As such, this value will be used to link the two tables together.

With that in mind, let's take a look at the posts table:

idmessageuser
0Hey guys, what's up?0
1You smell funny.1
2wtf =(0
3Yeah dude, you're seriously rancid.2
4No joke.1
6...wait, what?3

With a bit of creative SQL trickery (that I don't feel like remembering at the moment) you can join the two tables together and pull all of the necessary data (message id, message, and username) with one query, essentially giving you this:

idmessagename
0Hey guys, what's up?Spectere
1You smell funny.Bobbias
2wtf =(Spectere
3Yeah dude, you're seriously rancid.Zakamiro
4No joke.Bobbias
5...Spectere
6...wait, what?Kuroneko

Had we used a column that could potentially contain the same data between two rows, the results could have been ambiguous.  The database engine does both the grunt work of ensuring that no two rows in a table have the same primary key and makes sure that the DBA doesn't do something silly like try to join a table by a column that could potentially have repeated values.  Thanks to MySQL doing a fine job in making sure that the programmer doesn't make any obvious mistakes, I'd have to say that working with SQL is the most enjoyable part of designing a web-based, database-driven, PHP application.

...whew.  I think I'm going to go to bed now.