Author Topic: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread  (Read 550286 times)

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
Re: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread
« Reply #1290 on: November 14, 2007, 07:32:05 PM »
I finally got my 4x4x4 Rubik's cube in the mail. It's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 14, 2007, 08:40:01 PM »
It's that good.

I keep hearing everywhere that it's good. I'm definitely picking it up as soon as I can find a copy. Variety seems to hate it tho, http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1. Or at least their sponsor sony does.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 14, 2007, 10:25:51 PM »
So my little sister just told me she's considering dumping her lolcow of a boyfriend. Not in those words, though. I think he's a lolcow. She thinks he's just stupid. Like, on more than one occasion he's told her he wishes she was more clingy to him, but she was just a little weirded out and annoyed by his phrasing. She's neither a really needy person nor an idiot. He's both.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:31:42 PM by Aldrasio »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #1293 on: November 14, 2007, 10:53:46 PM »
Yes.

I still have a LOT to do in the game. I'm supposed to go to a friend's house today and I'm almost tempted to say I don't want to go because I still feel sick just so I can play more.

It's that good.

K, I went to target on the way home from my friend's house and picked it up. I've been playing it for about the past hour, it's really fun. I just started the first actual galaxy.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 15, 2007, 01:08:46 AM »
She's neither a really needy person nor an idiot. He's both.

So I'm guessing you're happy about that?

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 15, 2007, 01:09:44 AM »
Like I said, he's a lolcow.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1296 on: November 15, 2007, 02:30:48 AM »
I keep hearing everywhere that it's good. I'm definitely picking it up as soon as I can find a copy. Variety seems to hate it tho, http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1. Or at least their sponsor sony does.

Rofl, "Worst multiplayer in a game"? Ever play FF9 in 2 player mode? I'd say that's likely worse, considering half the people who played FF9 likely didn't even know it existed, and the other half didn't have anyone to play it with anyway. I tried it about once and gave up.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 15, 2007, 02:42:29 AM »
Rofl, "Worst multiplayer in a game"? Ever play FF9 in 2 player mode? I'd say that's likely worse, considering half the people who played FF9 likely didn't even know it existed, and the other half didn't have anyone to play it with anyway. I tried it about once and gave up.

...I didn't know about it, but I'm not sure how that would even work.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1298 on: November 15, 2007, 02:54:32 AM »
Yay, I'm 23. :)

Also, I dislike Pentium 4s even more now.  I've been compiling a PSP toolchain on my lappy which, obviously requires some very heavy compiling.  I had my CPU fan forced at half-speed and, despite the fact that laptops naturally don't have the best cooling systems and that it's resting on a blanket (hey, it's chilly in this room :)) it ("it" meaning my Dothan Pentium-M 1.73GHz) maxed out at 55C.  My desktop system, with its 2.8GHz Prescott Pentium 4 and a ton of fans and air, maxes out at the same temperature under load and doesn't even run as efficiently (the Pentium-M is faster despite its clock rate being just over 1GHz less...holy shit).  I decided to force the fan on my laptop to high (high is 4800rpm, low is 2400rpm) and it's staying at 47C -- just over my Prescott's idle temperature.

Wow.

Did I ever mention how much I LOVE the Pentium III, Pentium-M, and Core architectures? :]
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1299 on: November 15, 2007, 04:13:45 AM »
I've never used an M, though my old was a P3 866 MHz that ran quite nicely, considering the crap I forced into it.We even tried running oblivion on it once, but that was a pretty clear failure on the computer's side, as it ran at about 4 FPS. Though that could have been due to our rather slow video card. That was a GeForce FX 5600 256 MB. Sure, it was one of the first 256 MB cards out there, but it was also a painfully bad performance architecture.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1300 on: November 15, 2007, 05:13:32 AM »
Don't feel bad, Oblivion runs very poorly on my P4-2.8 with its GF6600GT.  The game is horribly unoptimized, just like Morrowind.

The Pentium-M and Core chips were all based on the Pentium III architecture.  NetBurst has to be the biggest mistake that Intel ever made.  It was fishy at the beginning and it was just flat-out bad coming out.  The fact that it only ran well at higher clock speeds should have been an indication to Intel that it was a bad idea, and the fact that it didn't even make it to 4GHz before the thermal issues finally caught up was just icing on the cake.  IIRC, the 1GHz Coppermines were quite a bit faster than the early P4s.  As I mentioned before, my 1.73GHz Dothan is quite a bit faster than a Pentium 4 that's clocked over 1GHz higher.

It's funny how, especially in computing, going backwards can mean going forwards.  Intel had an incredible architecture before the NetBurst Pentium 4s came out, they just didn't realize it.  Now that they dumped NetBurst they're finally in the business of making damn good CPUs again.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1301 on: November 15, 2007, 05:34:27 AM »
What was NetBurst anyway?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1302 on: November 15, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
It's an architecture that depends on long pipelining (20 stages initially, 31 starting with the Prescott).  Long pipelines inherently decrease the number of instructions per cycle but counters that by allowing the CPU to run at a higher clock rate.

One of the side-effects of this was that some instructions wound up faster than previous generations, others wound up being slower.  A particularly curious set of common instructions were slowed down by the new architecture -- rotate and shift.  You know how you could do a certain shift and wind up with a very quick integer double/half operation?  It wasn't as quick with the P4.  Changes like that made it hard to target multiple processors because, given that particular example, what's fast on the P4 might be slow on an Athlon or P3, and vice versa.

The situation improved a bit with the Northwood core, which sported a doubled L2 cache, a smaller fabrication process, and hyper-threading technology enabled on certain chips.  Eventually Intel did a major rehashing and wound up with the Prescott.

The Prescott, to put it lamely, is too hot to handle.  It supported all of the same features, in addition to SSE3, a fancy new 90nm fab process, and, on later models, 64-bit and virtualization.  It also doubled the cache of the Northwood, to 1MB (and eventually 2MB), per what would appear to be NetBurst tradition.  Sadly, that's where the nice things end.  Prescotts were found to perform worse in many situations when compared to a similarly-clocked Northwood chip.  Not to mention that it runs bloody HOT.  Remember how hot I mentioned that my Prescott runs?  Mine is only a 2.8GHz -- imagine how hot a a 3.4GHz+ one must run, let alone one of those dual-core monstrosities that Intel released (the Pentium D).

Given the overall design of the NetBurst architecture, Intel clearly designed it simply to beat AMD in clock speed alone.  In a way, they succeeded, claiming firsts for the 2GHz and, I think, 3GHz marks.  However, by that point, the techies knew better and the soccer moms and grannies didn't seem to care anymore than they used to.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 15, 2007, 01:53:07 PM »
Okay, I got Crysis, expect to not see me for a while until I beat it to death :3

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1304 on: November 15, 2007, 02:54:09 PM »
Ahh, I always wondered why an AMD core running at a much slower clock speed could match or surpass some intel chips, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x