Author Topic: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread  (Read 549274 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2007, 12:36:15 AM »
Do you honestly think they care? If I worked at B&N/Borders, I wouldn't. Are you breaking any rules? No...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:37:52 AM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2007, 01:54:36 AM »
I've started learning C++ via bringing my laptop to the bookstore, getting one of the books that teaches C++, and reading it in-store. I wonder how long I'll be able to do this.

We largely encourage it. Having you sit in the cafe to use the wireless means you'll probably buy food or a drink at some point.

Metroid Prime 3 is astounding.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2007, 01:56:22 AM »
eggman, you work at border's, right? In the cafe, if I remember correctly. That logic makes total sense. It's like how starbucks gives away free wifi even to people that arent customers. Chances are, you'll buy coffee.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2007, 02:08:09 AM »
Exactly, while their gig is over-the-top, I actually like their music. But nonetheless, I hear they pull off a kick-ass show, and I'd like to see. Apparently it's a very bad idea to wear clothes you actually care about, since fake blood is like everywhere and shit. :D

My bro brought a white shirt home from one of the shows they played here. It looked like it was tie died. Blu and pinkish, and some green.
H hasn't washed it because it was signed by some bands, namely The Number Twelve Looks Like You, who totally kick ass.

We largely encourage it. Having you sit in the cafe to use the wireless means you'll probably buy food or a drink at some point.

Lol, the joys of large bookstores. The local Coles is way too small for a in house coffee house :/

I've started learning C++ via bringing my laptop to the bookstore, getting one of the books that teaches C++, and reading it in-store. I wonder how long I'll be able to do this.

It may take a while unless you have some experience programming before. C++ is not really beginner friendly. Though I can lend a hand with explaining some stuff, or showing you how to use some code. I can't guarantee it'll be well coded, but it should usually work.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2007, 02:09:00 AM »
Yeah, I work at Borders. We got totally shafted by providers. The only provider who could actually hold to the contract was t-mobile and they're pay-to-use.

But yeah, they usually just expect you to buy a coffee. I've never cared even if they get nothing. Makes my job easier haha.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #245 on: August 29, 2007, 02:14:12 AM »
lol, nice. I Most people don't read entire books there anyway, most people browse the book, decide whether or not to buy, and buy it anyway. It takes a lot to keep coming back and reading the book without bothering to buy it. Though I'm sure I'd be surpriised how many people do read the books in the store, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 29, 2007, 02:22:18 AM »
I'd be pretty impressed if someone was enough of a mooch to just read an entire novel, in a bookstore.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2007, 02:34:08 AM »
We got totally shafted by providers.

Why?

C++ is not really beginner friendly.

It isn't. My C++ Primer book says that the book is written only for people with program theory, in BASIC or otherwise. You need to get a firm grasp on program theory and knowing how to solve problems like a computer before you do anything advanced... That is, assuming you have no prior programming experience. Doing a "Hello world!" may be cute and all, but then getting into arrays and classes and pointers makes things a little trickier. ;]

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2007, 02:45:55 AM »
It may take a while unless you have some experience programming before. C++ is not really beginner friendly. Though I can lend a hand with explaining some stuff, or showing you how to use some code. I can't guarantee it'll be well coded, but it should usually work.

I'm fairly proficient with BASIC, if that counts for anything.

I'd be pretty impressed if someone was enough of a mooch to just read an entire novel, in a bookstore.

http://www.xkcd.com/294/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:48:25 AM by Aldrasio »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2007, 02:47:31 AM »
Well, I began on C++, so I know what it's like. You just have to be able to understand the ideas of what a class is, and how it works. And when you should use one, and what you should use one for, and such. Because that stuff tends to come easily to me, learning classes, inheritance and such was easy. Of course, after learning C++, Java is a breeze, you just learn to HATE writing GUIs in it.

PS: I also have worked with VB, C#, Java, Some Perl and PHP, Turing, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2007, 03:04:45 AM »
http://www.xkcd.com/294/

I take that one, and raise you this! http://www.xkcd.com/307/

God I love xkcd. IIRC, I started a thread for it on 3.0 :V

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2007, 02:09:21 PM »
Drove to school for the first time today. 8)

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »
Bah, I feel old now, listening to you guys talk about school and such. It's so awkward after you're out of school.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
Still in school for now, but my new one has a GED track, so...8)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2007, 04:24:37 PM »
Bah, I feel old now, listening to you guys talk about school and such. It's so awkward after you're out of school.

Go to college fool. Speaking of which my campus is over an hour drive away on the turnpike. I need a job now just to pay for the gas.