Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 571900 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #690 on: August 08, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »
I notice it every time I look at it, and it is a bit annoying.

lol, yeah, i guess if it's just for personal use, that is a piss off, but anyone else wouldn't notice...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #691 on: August 08, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
lol, yeah, i guess if it's just for personal use, that is a piss off, but anyone else wouldn't notice...

Eh, considering I've used iPhone OS 3 pretty extensively and iOS 4 quite a bit, I'd definitely notice that something is a bit off, even if I weren't counting pixels in Photoshop to try to get it right.  On my laptops very high density screen (1920x1200 on a 17" screen) I can notice when elements are a single pixel off.  It's enough to drive a guy mad.

Also:

And, of course, there are no icon reflections on the dock.

Where there's a will, there's a way (in this case, an app on Cydia that's aptly called ReflectiveDock):

More nitpicking: after changing the background it seems to me like the dock is a bit too translucent.  I'll have to look into that and do some comparing.

Edit:

The translucency is actually right.  The dock only really stands out on dark or gray backgrounds.  In most cases it kind of blends in.

I did confirm my suspicions that a few elements are still a teeny bit off (i.e. dock icons are two pixels too high).  Looks like Apple bumped the undocked icon labels up by one pixel in iOS 4.  I'll have to determine whether I'd rather be accurate and potentially cut off the shadow of some letters by one pixel (would probably be a lot more tolerable than the two pixels that were cut off before) or leave it up one pixel as it is now.  The way it is is pretty tolerable.  It looks like it actually could be up a bit, unlike the dock which just looks wrong.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can bump the dock icons down by a couple of pixels.  If I could have done that, it would make the text fit in a bit better (i.e. without the goatse sized gap that's there now) and it would put the icons to where they belong.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:27:16 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #692 on: August 08, 2010, 06:22:10 PM »
omg

In retrospect, I wish I would have participated in that particular string of shenanigans.  Le sigh...

Why don't we make a v.2 with everyone from here :D

Also.... I am using iOS 4 on my iPhone 3G and I am wondering how to get a background image behind my apps because there isn't a clear option to do so in the settings. I haven't done a whole lot of research to find out, but I guess that's what I'm doing now. If I have to have it jailbroken to do so then nevermind :/
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #693 on: August 08, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
You can't really use many of iOS 4's new features on the 3G.  About the only thing that Apple decided to give us were app folders.  Despite jailbreakers having app backgrounding, wallpapers, and well, pretty much everything and more since iPhone OS 1, 3G owners don't really get anything new.  It's kind of lame, really. :/  But yeah, to make a long story short, you'll have to jailbreak if you want to use wallpaper.

Just for reference, the screenshots that I posted were from an iPhone 3G running 3.1.3, jailbroken with Spirit Jailbreak.  The theming was done with WinterBoard and the wallpaper was set with BossPaper (with the exception of the default iOS 4 wallpaper, which was set in a WinterBoard theme for ease of application).

Jailbreaking is actually pretty simple if you're at all interested in doing it.  When I jailbroke this one, it was literally a minute-long process.  I downloaded Spirit Jailbreak (not sure what you'd use for iOS 4 -- I downgraded mine to 3.1.3 before I did mine because 3.1.3 ran much better), plugged the phone in, and hit the big button.  It automatically restarted the phone, installed Cydia, and that was pretty much it.  The only downside is that you need to wipe the phone if you want to undo everything.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 08, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »
Bought myself a Droid X today after Best Buy actually had one. Really liking it so far. If it's this nice now, I can't imagine how nice it'll be after 2.2 hits it.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #695 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
info

I had it jailbroken once before the iOS 4 update came out actually. What my friend neglected to tell me is that it would wipe all my photos from my camera roll. I couldn't restore it either because I had just formatted my computer and didn't bother to save any iTunes backups (not that I would have known how anyway). It was pretty cool at first but it just made the phone really slow and glitchy and I'm way less into customization than I used to be so I got rid of it.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 08, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
I really need a better phone, but I hardly see what I'll use a smart phone for. Shit, EVERYONE I know that owns one only uses it for texting and calling.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #697 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
I really need a better phone, but I hardly see what I'll use a smart phone for. Shit, EVERYONE I know that owns one only uses it for texting and calling.

Ever wondered what that song playing somewhere is, and none of your friends know? You can, with an iPhone (and possibly android, I dunno). Ever want to look up something on wikipedia, but don't have a computer? You can do that, too.

A friend of mine has an iPhone, and although it does see a lot of use for texting and calling, there are a lot of other features that are useful. I'd love to get one if I could ever afford it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 09, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
yeah, that is true. My one friend uses google all the time on his phone.

Also SOOO MUCH nostalgia.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/07/reminisce-about-classic-sonic-over-this-six-pack/

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 09, 2010, 01:31:30 AM »
Yeah, Android has Google Goggles (lets you take a picture of something and it'll search for it online) and Shazam (let it listen to a song and it'll tell you what it is). The Google integration is what really pushed me to get a Droid X (as well as the verizon thing since I can get a discount through work). Google Navigation is going to be a lifesaver when I get an on-call stop that I don't recognize or if it has some really confusing numbering. It also happens to be a very nice phone on top of that. And honestly I've never had a camera or a camcorder or even an mp3 player so it serves all of those purposes. And it has Kindle for Android as well so if I want some e-books, I can read them that way (and the screen is actually big enough to comfortably read off of).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:33:16 AM by Eggman »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #700 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:20 AM »
It was pretty cool at first but it just made the phone really slow and glitchy and I'm way less into customization than I used to be so I got rid of it.

Mine hasn't been jailbroken for very long, but I can kind of see that happening if you experiment with a bunch of different unapproved apps.  Just glancing through my phone's filesystem after a couple of days kind of showed me how bad the packages are at cleaning up after themselves.

Bought myself a Droid X today after Best Buy actually had one. Really liking it so far. If it's this nice now, I can't imagine how nice it'll be after 2.2 hits it.

Nice. :D  I'm kind of surprised that it didn't ship with 2.2, though.  FroYo's been out for a while.

Try to sign up for the beta for Swype.  I've used it for a few months on my G1 and it's just fantastic.  I haven't even touched the hardware keyboard in a while because Swype just works so well.

It's really one of those things that you grow into.  My dad never thought he would ever use anything more than a flip-phone until I bought him a WinMo phone (it's a bit older, a Samsung Blackjack, but he loves it) for Christmas.  Now he's an app-aholic.

The sucky part about having a smartphone is that you usually have to have a data plan, which means a higher monthly bill.  For unlimited messaging and data, my bill went up about $30, if I remember correctly.  Not a bad price for convenience, though.  I love being able to do product research while I'm in a store looking at a product.

Ever wondered what that song playing somewhere is, and none of your friends know? You can, with an iPhone (and possibly android, I dunno).

Yep, Shazam is available for Android.

vladgd

« Reply #701 on: August 09, 2010, 02:23:46 AM »
i ordered a muramasa figure.  shipping kind of sucked...

2400jpy

durrrrr another impulse buy shoots my bank account in the face.  

*edit*

thinking of more figures i would like, there's too many that don't exist, even "simple" shit.

maby, i want a nicely detailed pvc statue of a hydralisk.  blizzard, get on that shit, hydralisks are like the coolest looking unit in the game.  I WANT TO OWN ONE FOR REALZ!

*edit*

item shipped, hot damn.  look forward to receiving it.  i think it was 3-5 days or something, so yeah, bitchin.  i hope to not buy anything like that anytime soon, shit is bad for my moneys. 

gotta limit my next "big" purchase to civilization v. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:49:42 AM by vladgd »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 11, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
Just got back from Mayhem, shit was goddamn amazing. Hatebreed was really good, Lamb of god was nuts (funny how they said "this song is for the soldiers" and then played now you have something to die for) and Rob Zombie was SO GODDAMN GOOD OH MY SWEET JESUS. He was just downright amazing, and during one song he had a video of tentacle hentai playing, which was fun. Also this band In This Moment surprised em and was fairly awesome. I lost my shoe and scraped the shit out of my hands in a circle pit, and then 10 minutes later someone kicked it towards me and I put it back on.

So yeah, amazing show.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 12, 2010, 02:35:31 AM »
In This Moment has always been awesome. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've posted videos of their stuff in the music thread. Maria Brink is unbelievably hot and can seriously scream.

I want this week to be over so I can just start having regular weeks of work. One of the PM handlers got hurt (twisted his ankle and then slammed his knee into the mesh floor) while loading the containers that get put onto airplanes so now they have me trying to replace him and it just doesn't work out because good lord he was really good at it and I am new at it so it becomes very difficult for me to keep up. I actually burst a blood vessel in my hand from it, which hurts, but isn't something to get me taken out because of. And now tomorrow the main street on my route gets shut down at 5:30pm because of a parade so I have to get everything in that area done before then, which is very difficult.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 12, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »
In This Moment has always been awesome. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've posted videos of their stuff in the music thread. Maria Brink is unbelievably hot and can seriously scream.

I would second all of that.

Also this is my friend in a pit during hatebreed http://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/music/sfl-rockstar-mayhem-festival-20100811-pg,0,6477723.photogallery?index=sfl-mayhem-8-2010081120100811172441