Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 586854 times)

K-Mann

Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #810 on: August 28, 2010, 02:53:20 PM »
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. But SSC actually has a load of cool features and stuff that separate it from the others. Just gotta explore bro

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #811 on: August 28, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »
I still play Born to be Bone and Starmine Pop'n'mixxx. They's so fun!

Aww, danke. :D

And if you need graphics I am willing to make them. I've been making lots for people actually.

Pretty snazzy.  I'm typically a DIYer (and my Photoshop-fu has thankfully improved drastically since my early sim days), but if I can't get myself inspired I'll shoot you a PM.

7Key is the new Solo (which is still pretty big) and there are a lot of interesting ideas/tournaments/whatever that bounce around. SM still hasn't quite died. It would be cool if you showed up, Spec. :p

Ugh.  That's pretty much the only thing that gives me pause.  I'm still very much an indexer.  And the way I see it, if I want to play 7 key I'll play a IIDX sim with autoscratch enabled. :)

Do people still release a lot of 4-key keyboard charts, or is it pretty much all solo/7K now?
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #812 on: August 28, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
Downloading some single files now. Hopefully they aren't bullshit hard for me.

Also, is there a regular old Note skin for SM-SSC?

Also, all this talk of mines there pisses me off. Mines are basically just bullshit IMO.

Also, what's wit the x theory crap?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:05:34 PM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #813 on: August 28, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
@ Spec: Yeah, 4Key is still the main thing. Most packs require it to be 4Key, its just people enjoy the variety of solo. 7Key hasn't taken off yet, so that's no big deal. But the majority of users still go for scores on 4Key. I'm learning solo because its a fun new style :P and you can do more with a chart vs. 4key

@Boobies: Yes, sorta, and its kinda cool.

- Its called midi-note in the game. Its a slightly flashier version of note, but works just the same
- I personally don't like mines as well, but there are theories about it. Where they should be placed and how. I'm not sure why people use them, but in SSC you can use them as mod attacks, like MGD (I think?)
- x mod theory is the use of BPM stops and changes to suit the song. For example, Kommisar's and Patashu's Groundhog (From DJ Hero) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPu_K5ELTNE&feature=related Yes, those glitches are the song, not the camera lagging or anything lol
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:53:33 PM by K-Mann »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #814 on: August 28, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »
By x I just meant anything, not x mods. I do know about using freezes, negative bpm etc.

I meant stuff like "green note theory" and crap. Is that just people being pretentious/retarded and not just saying "there's some 48th notes in there"?

It sounds like the whole arch0wl-esque belief that there needs to be an insane amount of discussion on pattern making and theory behind crap.

So far, I'm not a fan of playing in sm-ssc. Mostly because the ingame theme feels wrong. In 3.9, the note flashes are fast, and the timing fees very defined for me, where ssc feels "squishy" like there's too much extra crap that they added to make it "look nice" and consequently the timing feels like it suffers. I could be wrong, but I can't get anything close to the scores that I get in 3.9.

Is there a way to turn mines off in ssc? That's another thing that may prevent me from getting into it. (If I can mod the noteskin to be more like the 3.9 one, then I'll be fine, I'm not scared of modding stuff like that to what I prefer, I already added a bunch of C speed mods.)

It almost feels like the notes don't properly line up with the receptors or something in ssc.... I know it's just me, but it really feels off. And it looks like if I want to original note noteskin in ssc, I'm gonna have to start doing some heavy modding.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #815 on: August 28, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »
In options you can fix all that. Most of SSC is customizable. In song options you can turn off mines, the judge/life default is set easier when you install it originally (Like 3/3 or something, you can change it back).

While SSC is made to fix virtually everything in 4 and 3.9, its still only at RC2, and only just got off the ground. It sucks that you can't get into it, most people on KBO think its fantastic (me included). But to each their own. At least you tried it. And its to bad about the timing thing. I know there are people around there who can help you out if you have any questions about it.

As for theories, they've existed since a0.com, and probably won't go away anytime soon. The only "theories" that seem to be around these days are x-mod/mine/layering and some stuff in Solo. Although people might mention that "those 32nds are supposed to be 24ths" they aren't gonna be dicks about it. Most people have decided that if you want to be a douche and talk about theories and why your chart is better example of said theories, they just ignore you and piss off.

While it is pretty old school thinking to say "Why bother about the technicality, I just want to play for fun. Gimmie the old days" etc., the general consensus is that if the game is evolving, so should the player base and the files. Soon there will be such things as "lifts" where you need to have your finger off the key at a certain point, and even roll theory. A lot of people have moved on from the "old days" and are quite happy with the way things are going.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #816 on: August 28, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »
What kind of torrent sites do you people use these days? I'm kind of way out of the internet loop right now and I've just been using thepiratebay ever since isohunt and torrentspy got F'd in the A but it I am often disappointed by it.

EDIT: Also, I just downloaded the sm-ssc thing and it's pretty neat, but I can't get into the song options to change speed mods and such without it crashing which blows a lot. Any idears why this is?

EDIT.2: K so I actually spent a whole ten seconds trying to figure out for myself why this was and the sm-ssc site said not to install the game in Program Files if you're using Windows 7.

EDIT.2.6: Does anyone have my Full Rinse simfile? I've been listening to a lot of Squarepusher lately (not that I ever don't) and every time I listen to that song I get the urge to refine the steps I made.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:24:30 PM by Sqthreer! »
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #817 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
In options you can fix all that. Most of SSC is customizable. In song options you can turn off mines, the judge/life default is set easier when you install it originally (Like 3/3 or something, you can change it back).

While SSC is made to fix virtually everything in 4 and 3.9, its still only at RC2, and only just got off the ground. It sucks that you can't get into it, most people on KBO think its fantastic (me included). But to each their own. At least you tried it. And its to bad about the timing thing. I know there are people around there who can help you out if you have any questions about it.

As for theories, they've existed since a0.com, and probably won't go away anytime soon. The only "theories" that seem to be around these days are x-mod/mine/layering and some stuff in Solo. Although people might mention that "those 32nds are supposed to be 24ths" they aren't gonna be dicks about it. Most people have decided that if you want to be a douche and talk about theories and why your chart is better example of said theories, they just ignore you and piss off.

While it is pretty old school thinking to say "Why bother about the technicality, I just want to play for fun. Gimmie the old days" etc., the general consensus is that if the game is evolving, so should the player base and the files. Soon there will be such things as "lifts" where you need to have your finger off the key at a certain point, and even roll theory. A lot of people have moved on from the "old days" and are quite happy with the way things are going.

I play spread, so I can handle layering. I'm getting good enough that most triples and quads aren't really an issue, unless someone just piles on the bullshit (also triple jacks/quad jacks are retarded). And I do definitely see merit in technical simfile design. I've always felt that the simfile should follow the timing and possibly laying of the original song as closely as possible, etc. (None of that "i made up the rhythm" crap that you see in so many shitty first time files, or in crappy official charts to make things easier).

I have never been a fan of mines, and rolls, and the lift thing just sounds retarded (even if it is a logical extension of the game). If I wanted something to penalize me for pressing at the wrong time, I'd go play djmax.

Part of the reason I kinda miss the older simfile generation is that I'm missing so many of the ones I used to have, and I don't even remember all of them any more. I used to have a huge collection (like, almost 2500 songs), but it got wiped out a while back. I'm up to like, 1k now, but I'm missing a lot of the older tracks that weren't in packs, and such. I used to have like full collections of the guys on a0 and such. I used to have a (nearly) full HST collection, among other things. and I'm finding that although I can play many of the newer tracks, because I'm still not all that good, I don't find many of them to be all that fun.

As for SSC, I'd really like to make it my main. I definitely think it's a huge improvement over 3.9, but I'll need to sort out all of my issues, and that's gonna take a while. Maybe I just need to play it more often (whenever I would switch from SM to o2jam, I used to get the same sort of feeling like the timing was fucked up, due to the different timing system).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 28, 2010, 07:00:42 PM »
I don't know why, but it's kind of surreal to look up videos of people playing my step charts on YouTube. :s

Kind of makes me want to bust out StepMan and create something that's not a complete joke (hai into teh inferno).

Lawl Final Destination (OMGIMONFIRE) chart.

K-Mann

« Reply #819 on: August 28, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »
EDIT.2: K so I actually spent a whole ten seconds trying to figure out for myself why this was and the sm-ssc site said not to install the game in Program Files if you're using Windows 7.

Yeah, I just put it in my documents folder. Works great.

Boobies I can see where you're coming from. I agree with most of that. But I am glad that the generation of step files has moved on :p

Also, try BlueXoon for your SM files. When it comes go to Stepmania then songs, and its all sorted into packs. Its got a shit load of them, so you might find stuff you've been missing.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: August 28, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
That's pretty awesome.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #822 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
Also, try BlueXoon for your SM files. When it comes go to Stepmania then songs, and its all sorted into packs. Its got a shit load of them, so you might find stuff you've been missing.

Someone needs to tell him flash sites are fucking retarded. Still, thanks for the link.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #823 on: August 28, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »
Flash sites are only shitty if they're made shitty, just like any other website. I agree that most attempts at making a website completely in flash fail horribly, but I would say that site is an exception. It definitely puts form over function, but not so much that you instantly give up trying to figure it out. It is actually quite stylish but not too hard to navigate either. And it doesn't take centuries to load which is a big plus. I don't really like how it abbreviates all the simfile packs though... The only ones I recognized from their acronyms were the Community Keyboard Megapacks. Still it seems like a good resource for sims.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

K-Mann

« Reply #824 on: August 29, 2010, 01:02:07 AM »
Its a pretty good site for them, yes. This one is also great. Has a shit load of packs, but a lot of them are pretty bad. But there's a shitload so you might find something you like.