Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 813404 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #1755 on: August 12, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
pretty sure if gief does lariat, you get to command throw him for free.

Wouldn't it just hit me if I'm standing? Also every time I roll I end up eating a lariat or getting grabbed mid roll.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1756 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
god we should just get a subforum for Street Fighter 4 or rename the website Spectere Fighter 4 Dot Net

I jest

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1757 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
I saw a post where some guy said he and his university comp-sci department did a bunch of testing, and determined that there were a bunch of memory leaks (some VERY big) and pointed about 5 separate issues about the game.

Some other guy posted saying that after doing some mucking around with the inis, he found that multithreading was the culprit of a good portion of his crashes. I even changed my ini, hoping that that was the case. No change.

Yeah, memory leaks typically happen after an extended period of time and aren't particularly easy to reproduce in most cases.  Your issue is most likely a bug in the game.  Given that it's Bethesda that we're talking about, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a patch.  Oblivion is still horribly fucked up and that game came out in 2006.

Speaking of Oblivion, I think it's really fucked up how poorly the game runs on high performance machines.  Several people I know, including myself, have attempted to play Oblivion on hardware that absolutely destroys the top of the line gear that was available when Oblivion first came out and it still runs poorly.  It's just like how Morrowind runs poorly on systems greatly exceeding its recommended requirements.

Sadly, I think Fallout 3 is Bethesda's best engine work, and it's still piss poor.  It really says a lot when my computer can handle Fallout 3 (and even the likes of Crysis, Far Cry 2, and FEAR 2) far better than it can handle Oblivion.  They need to just give up and license id Tech, Unreal Engine, or something like that, because they couldn't program a fast, reliable engine to save their lives.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1758 on: August 13, 2009, 04:05:18 AM »
Yeah. I mean, the mechanics of the engine are good. But the execution itself is terrible. It's nice when the games actually play half decently well, but that is such a rare occasion that it doesn't matter.

And when I say very big memory leaks, I mean on the level of about 50-60 MB/s leaking.

They also said that removing the DRM resulted in about a 60% decrease in crashes. But then they said that it was not an acceptable fix, because it needs to be in there to not void the EULA.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1759 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »
Double post because I'm fucking pissed:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/08/12/bell-crtc-internet-usage.html

Seriously. What the fuck. Fucking bell. Fucking CRTC.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1760 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
Yeah. I mean, the mechanics of the engine are good. But the execution itself is terrible. It's nice when the games actually play half decently well, but that is such a rare occasion that it doesn't matter.

Except Oblivion.  That game would be boring and shallow regardless of how good the engine is.

And when I say very big memory leaks, I mean on the level of about 50-60 MB/s leaking.

I'm assuming that only happens in specific circumstances, because that would mean that it would be guaranteed to crash on my system in under a minute.

They also said that removing the DRM resulted in about a 60% decrease in crashes.

If only they could use that excuse for Oblivion.  Oblivion has no DRM (you can copy the game with friggin' Nero and it'll just work) and it's still a buggy, unstable piece of shit.

I could definitely believe that Fallout 3 would have issues, however.  Expecting a company who can't get their engine alone running well to bolt on SecuROM properly would be kind of like me trying to fix a car -- there's no way it possibly could end well.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1761 on: August 13, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
I could definitely believe that Fallout 3 would have issues, however.  Expecting a company who can't get their engine alone running well to bolt on SecuROM properly would be kind of like me trying to fix a car -- there's no way it possibly could end well.

Lol, agreed. I'm really disappointed that they can't get their engine working properly. If they did, there would be one more decent game company in a field full of crap.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1762 on: August 13, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
Judge Bars Sale Of Microsoft Word For Patent Infringement (Though It Won't Stick): http://techdirt.com/articles/20090811/2330285852.shtml

Why are people there acting like it's a good thing that this is happening just because Microsoft is the first one to get sued?  If i4i wins this case, everyone is fucked.  Why can't these people realize that?  If this patent idiocy goes through, OpenOffice.org isn't going to get pardoned just because it was released under the GPL.  No, i4i would go likely go after Sun Microsystems because they back the project.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1763 on: August 13, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
Seriously, what the fuck, there.  Microsol had better win this :-(

Wait, who uses anything besides a basic Notepad clone like Notepad++ to edit XML and XHTML, anyway?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1764 on: August 14, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »
Lol, well, I like slightly richer environments for editing stuff like that (not that I really work with XML stuff). I think I'd end up using one of the Microsoft visual studio IDEs for it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #1765 on: August 14, 2009, 03:10:27 AM »
Didn't happen to me, but my friend was supposed to go to the coast for an event or something, and his ride was gonna pick him up but never came. The coast is about 2 days from here.

Gay.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:55 AM »
So my mom is being a fucking bitch to me.  Yesterday I just had one cig in my room to relax and had my fan on to blow out the smoke out side.  Some how the scent got down stairs and my mom was like "Were you smoking?"   Me be honest replied yes and then she got into a huge fit about it.  Just this morning I was eating a bowl of cereal and she said to me in a bitchy way "You better feed the cat, you did nothing yesterday!"  When I told her I took out the dogs upon demand request of my parents.  Apparently she did not see this as being good enough.  Her response "You should do it automatic, we shouldn't have to tell you."

Look I am 22 and yes I still look for my parents.  I am trying to find my own place to live and GTFO here but I can't find a second job in my area.  I should not have to do things automatically because I did not have a childhood what-so-ever, I did my due and deserve to relax from doing chores unless I am asked to do so.  It is now up to my brothers to pick up the slack where I am not doing it, which one tries to do but the other one just goes off and gets off with jack shit.  I am tired of parents who treat me like a fucking 16 year old and threaten to shut off my internet when I do something that they don't like.  Seriously this really is Stuff that peels my potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1767 on: August 14, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »
There is NO CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH.

*rage*
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1768 on: August 14, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
Wait, who uses anything besides a basic Notepad clone like Notepad++ to edit XML and XHTML, anyway?

The patent is based around word processors that use XML to store their document data.  Both ODF (OpenDocument, used by OpenOffice.org) and DOCX (used by Word) are just ZIP containers that contain XML data as well as any binary files that might be included (videos, pictures, etc).  So, yeah, Word 2007 and OpenOffice.org Writer are essentially graphical XML editors.

The thing that people don't seem to realize is that OpenOffice.org isn't safe from this either.  Technically speaking, it violates this patent as badly as Word does.  Like I said, if Microsoft loses this we're all screwed.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1769 on: August 14, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »
Oh, I never realised that :x