Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 800511 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #1875 on: November 13, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »
So apparently, I was riding my bike home and I fell over and hit my head, and got a concussion

this sucks

Shit, man.  You okay?
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1876 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
Apparently :x

I mean, I haven't noticed any permanent issues yet.

Wait, who are you, again? :-*

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1877 on: November 14, 2009, 07:12:13 PM »
Wait, who are you, again? :-*

I'm yo daddy, bitch.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1878 on: November 14, 2009, 07:31:33 PM »
I <3 u Daddy :3

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1879 on: November 14, 2009, 11:23:54 PM »
I <3 u Daddy :3

Aww.  How sweetly creepy.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1880 on: November 16, 2009, 01:31:25 AM »
The single player in Modern Warfare 2 takes the bullshit level of the original Modern Warfare and somehow manages to double it.  It's seriously infuriating how many times you'll just die out of nowhere, even on the easier difficulties.  That, coupled with all of the other crap that they pulled with the PC port, is leading me to believe that Infinity Ward is somehow growing less competent with every release.  I guess the multiplayer is okay (though I don't plan to play it simply because taking out dedicated servers was nothing short of fucking retarded), but the single player is just getting worse and worse.  It's sad that I can't think of a single redeeming factor of the last few hours that I wasted beating it.

Even the storyline, which I thought was quite good in MW1, took a turn for the idiotic.  MW2's story is so implausible and incoherent that it was impossible for me to suspend my disbelief for a second.

Lastly, the PC version feels like a terrible port.  There are horrible performance issues (which affect both gaming PCs in my house), where the game will come to a complete stop for a second or two.  Some of the menu controls are flat-out bizarre, and IW, against all logic, decided that allowing PC users to access the options menu in a sane way before the game starts was a bad idea.  If you want to change the resolution from 1024x768 or (heaven forbid!) rebind your keys, you either have to completely start the game or jump into the Special Ops menu and enter the options screen like that.

Here's a hint: if you don't plan to make the PC port of your shitty game sane, don't fucking bother with it at all.  I'm sick of being jacked over by asshole developers who can't spend a few days making the game comfortable to play (all eyes on you, Gearbox.  Borderlands is even more of a goddamn mess) yet don't hesitate to release a shoddy port and screw PC gamers out of $50 (or $60, in MW2's case).

Long story short: I want the last few hours of my life back.

Another thing that is peeling my potatoes: the keyboard stand (i.e. the little clips that raise the back of the keyboard by a few centimeters) on my G15 broke.  I should have known that Logitech couldn't get that shit right.  From what I heard, they don't even offer replacement parts to customers, even though their shit has a tendency to break on pretty much every keyboard that they make.  I'm glad you idiots couldn't even put durable parts on a $100 keyboard.  Thanks a lot, assholes.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: November 16, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »
Agreed about MW2...also don't get me started on EA and L4D2.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: November 16, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with the PC version of Borderlands, outside of the fact that they went out of their way to say stuff like "LOL HAY THIS ISN'T JUST A PC PORT HERE" when it's obvious it is.

Meh, good thing I spent only 35 bucks on it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1883 on: November 16, 2009, 02:11:57 AM »
You know, I'm beginning to get the feeling that terrible control issues, and bad PC ports are becoming the norm, rather than something that stands out as particularly bad... This does not bode well for PC gaming :/

It wasn't so bad when it came to consoles releasing terrible PC-Console ports, because it was pretty easy to tell if something was going to be a bad port (Anyone here ever try Starcraft 64?) Now it's getting to the point where consoles outpower most PCs by a rather large margin, and the companies can't seem to get it in their heads that porting a console game now takes more than simply making sure the code executes without errors.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1884 on: November 16, 2009, 02:40:11 AM »
I honestly wouldn't have a problem with the PC version of Borderlands, outside of the fact that they went out of their way to say stuff like "LOL HAY THIS ISN'T JUST A PC PORT HERE" when it's obvious it is.

See, even if they didn't spout that bullshit I would still have problems with it.

It's so bleeding obvious that the PC port didn't get two seconds of QA that it's simply ridiculous.  The fact that you can use the mousewheel to scroll through SOME things but not others is probably the most blatant thing.  The inability to disable the crouch toggle "feature" and enable an iron sights toggle is also stupid.  The fact that the mouse sensitivity settings are simply broken is also inexcusable.  Let's not even get into the nightmare of actually getting a game going.  Being forced to forward ports is so 2006.  UPnP -- learn it.

Now it's getting to the point where consoles outpower most PCs by a rather large margin

If you're in the group that would buy a game like Modern Warfare 2 or Borderlands, this is false.  Most PCs used by PC gamers outpower consoles by a large margin.  Modern Warfare 1 runs maxed out on my PC at 1200p at 60fps (vsync) with 4x AA.  It runs at 600p on both the Xbox 360 and PS3, with anti-aliasing off (IIRC).  Even when the two HD consoles came out their hardware was at least one generation behind compared to PC hardware.

Sure, consoles offer more graphical performance compared to your average PCs, but when we're talking about gamers we're not talking about average PCs.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1885 on: November 16, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »
Well, I'm talking about average PCs, because as much as I would like to have a tricked out gaming PC, I don't. And I LEGITIMATELY ACQUIRE my games, so I do play those games on occasion. I've got a LOT of experience playing demanding games on low end systems (oblivion running about 4 FPS on my POS when it first came out)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: November 16, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »
Agreed about MW2...also don't get me started on EA and L4D2.

Whoa wait what?

Also I hear rumors about MW2 being pay to play for PC in the see able future, and I also hear that there are people trying to get dedicated servers running.

Oh yeah, and me and the guy I bought Borderlands with tried to get my ports forwarded and I still can't host a game. Ugh, I also hate how 2DF does this shit too.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1887 on: November 16, 2009, 04:37:56 AM »
Well, I'm talking about average PCs, because as much as I would like to have a tricked out gaming PC, I don't. And I LEGITIMATELY ACQUIRE my games, so I do play those games on occasion. I've got a LOT of experience playing demanding games on low end systems (oblivion running about 4 FPS on my POS when it first came out)

Like I said: the target audience does not have an average PC (and very few games call for one, aside from games like the Sims or World of Warcraft, though the latter is far less friendly on older hardware than it used to be...woo 0.5fps city raids... *vomit*).  Most games can scale down to run acceptably on older hardware, but the recommended requirements are typically what's required to run it about as well as a modern console would, and those specs usually call for hardware that's as old, if not older, than the console.  I'm still seeing the Pentium 4 being marked as "recommended" on boxes, for crying out loud.  I don't think Intel even makes that awful chip anymore (and if they still do, they should stop, stat).

And speaking of Oblivion, you have to be a pretty awful engine programmer to create a game that doesn't look all that outstanding (I, for one, blame the shader programmer for how HORRID the faces look under the tiniest bit of lighting) and manages to stutter on PCs that can eat Crysis for breakfast.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: November 16, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
Whoa wait what?

Also I hear rumors about MW2 being pay to play for PC in the see able future, and I also hear that there are people trying to get dedicated servers running.

Oh yeah, and me and the guy I bought Borderlands with tried to get my ports forwarded and I still can't host a game. Ugh, I also hate how 2DF does this shit too.

Basicly L4D is a great multiplayer game...L4D2 could be even better then L4D if it wasn't for the fact that EA wanted another game of L4D because of all the DLC for L4D for PC gamers.  EA is just a money grabbing whore that won't let a decent company like valve take their time with another awesome game.
Hell because of L4D2 there won't be any more class updates until 2010 >:|

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1889 on: November 16, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
EA is just a money grabbing whore that won't let a decent company like valve take their time with another awesome game.

Valve does a lot more than just "take their time" on games.  Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is a perfect example.  So much for episodic content.

And I really don't think that EA has anything to do with Valve releasing L4D2.  Given the way things are working out, it seems like it was something that Valve intended to make a follow-up to.  Besides, EA only really handles getting Valve's retail box products into stores.  Valve pretty much does their own thing for the most part.  If anything, the reason they're pushing other projects behind is because they're stretching themselves too thin (for a relatively small developer they have quite a few projects in the works).