Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 813399 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #2085 on: May 17, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »
So, my ticket is for 31km/h over. At that speed, the fine should be around $217, and 4 demerit points (at 6 points, they can call me in to have an interview to see whether they should give me a 30 day license suspension). I can ask for a court date, and ask them to reduce it, and even if I only get it reduced to 29 over, they would bring the ticket down to $130.50, or so, and drop some of the demerit points....

This is my first speeding ticket, and it feel like fucking ass. I haven't told my parents yet because all they'll likely do is yell at me.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #2086 on: May 18, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
Well, I wouldn't go about hiding that for very long.  Won't go well in the long run.  :/
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 20, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »
I hate to be this American, but what's 31 km/h converted to mp/h?

Also, a few minor annoyances. People who get mad over asking a question, even if it's a fairly unoffensive question, and people don't do anything to control their dogs, and get mad when you try to.

Not sure why, but this always bothers me.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:19 PM »
That's pretty bad, cops down here will usually go for you if your over 8 MPH. Good luck on that tho.

vladgd

« Reply #2090 on: May 22, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »
my friends suck.

some people get mad because their friends ditch them to play world of warcraft.

i get mad because my friends ditch me to play modern warfare 2. 

i want to get outside and get a little easy exercise, nobody is down for it, no wonder they are so damn fat.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 23, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
A couple of things. I wanted to change my oil, I was just going to take it to some place about a week ago but my friend tried to convince me several times that we should do it. Later I saw him and he got all bitchy that we weren't changing it, so I said "fine, we'll set something up". So a week later and we've missed several opportunities and I figure he won't pull through, I ask my Dad (about Friday) when we should do it. He says we can do it Sunday, and today I wake him up and ask him about it and he basically forgot.

That, and over the past week or so my power has gone out and screwed with my internet, I finally got it back today screwing with it for a while but it's less then a quarter of the speed it normally is. I can't stand this shit. I'll have hard work all next week and I really don't have time to fuck around with my oil, and I might not even have cash to get to work.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 24, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
So, my ticket is for 31km/h over. At that speed, the fine should be around $217, and 4 demerit points (at 6 points, they can call me in to have an interview to see whether they should give me a 30 day license suspension). I can ask for a court date, and ask them to reduce it, and even if I only get it reduced to 29 over, they would bring the ticket down to $130.50, or so, and drop some of the demerit points....

This is my first speeding ticket, and it feel like fucking ass. I haven't told my parents yet because all they'll likely do is yell at me.

I got a red light violation around Thanksgiving (which was bullshit, and in retrospect, I probably could've fought and won), and when I got back, showed it to my mom. Her reaction was "...eh, I can't say anything". My sister made fun of me, and not a week later got a speeding ticket of her own. I think this is a little late, but karma seems to smile on confessing it.

Also, no matter where you are, going 31 kph over the speed limit is a fucking stupid idea. If traffic's moving quickly, you move with traffic. Otherwise, keep to the speed limit, or within 10 kph of it. Going over that is asking for - and usually getting - trouble. I don't care for arbtirarily set speed limits, but getting tickets isn't going to change anything, it'll just reinforce the "everyone's going dangerously fast so let's slow them down" mentality.

As for annoyances, my dad. Particularly as a driver, but also in general. Saying "BRAKES PLEASE" from the back of the car isn't funny, it doesn't help, it is fucking INFURIATING. I know how to drive, I can guarantee my senses as a 20-year-old are better than yours at 57, stop treating me like I don't know what I'm doing.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 24, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »
As I said in another thread, I got put into the tenor section in my voice class.  That doesn't peel my potatoes.  Confuses them slightly, maybe.  But not peel.

Here's a few measures of one of the songs we're singing.  It's not the actual song, obviously.  I just plopped the notes into Finale.

That D right before the end?  That seems to be the bottom of my range.  And the C immediately following it is THE lowest note the tenors have in the whole damn song. 

ONE fucking note that I can't hit.  Hit well, at least.  Right now, I can get it to come out, but it sounds like butt.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2094 on: May 24, 2010, 04:15:11 AM »
Also, no matter where you are, going 31 kph over the speed limit is a fucking stupid idea. If traffic's moving quickly, you move with traffic. Otherwise, keep to the speed limit, or within 10 kph of it.

I generally would agree. However, I have been late, and ended up going 130 or so to get to class on time before. It's saved my ass. also, I actually was going about the speed of traffic in the fast lane, which is why I wasn't paying enough attention to what speed I was actually going. Also, going 110 on the 400 is being an asshole who drives slow. No joke, most of the cars go either 100, and piss everyone off, or 120, and actually know how to drive. I see the odd asshole going 130-140, and generally making an ass of themselves (tailgating, etc.), and there's the odd person doing 110ish, but the majority of drivers either do 100, or 120.

In town, I go no more than 60, absolute max. On an 80, I'll go maybe 90, 100 if I'm REALLY in a hurry, but on the 400, I usually do 120, unless there's either a need to go faster, or I'm being lazy.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 25, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
Today I found out I have a 60.58% in English.  God Damn.

At least I have AP Calculus and AP Physics to balance out me being in remedial English next year.

re: cars: I'm the asshole that drives 20 miles under the speed limit.  I'm way too hesitant in acceleration and I really need to work on it.  In town, I go no more than 20 m/h (~32 km/h), and around 50 m/hr on the highway (~80 km/h).  Also, I never turn right on red because I'm scared shitless that someone'll come out of nowhere and collide with me.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 25, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
Today I found out I have a 60.58% in English.  God Damn.

At least I have AP Calculus and AP Physics to balance out me being in remedial English next year.

re: cars: I'm the asshole that drives 20 miles under the speed limit.  I'm way too hesitant in acceleration and I really need to work on it.  In town, I go no more than 20 m/h (~32 km/h), and around 50 m/hr on the highway (~80 km/h).  Also, I never turn right on red because I'm scared shitless that someone'll come out of nowhere and collide with me.

Sucks about English.  :/ 

I'm a bit hesitant with acceleration myself.  In residential areas, I generally won't speed at all.  Not on purpose, at least.  Fortunately, when I accidentally speed, it's usually only by about 5mph.  On the highway, it mostly depends on how comfortable I am at the time.  If it's raining, or has just begun to rain, I'm more likely to go 5 under if anything.  Or, if I'm on a route I'm unfamiliar with, and I know I'm going to be making an exit soon, I'll probably be going 5 under then as well.  Mostly so as to give me an "Oh shit, there's my exit!" buffer. 

As for going right on red, it depends completely on where I am.  I've noticed that I'm more likely to go right on red if I'm relatively close to my house.  If I'm in downtown Pittsburgh, no fucking way.  There's something about downtown that makes people drive like complete and utter morons (as well as cross the street when/where they shouldn't), so I'll pretty much never go right on red. 

Also, I really, REALLY hate this one intersection near my house.  It's right by a ball field, so any time there's a game, there's cars parked all over the sides of the street, and the people seem to completely ignore the fact that one is not to park RIGHT on the intersection.  It makes it damn near impossible for me to see if anyone is coming up any of the hills around it.  Not without pulling out almost completely into the intersection anyway. 

And the people there.  Ugh.  They LOVE jumping out from in between cars.  So really, if one is going down my street when there's a game, one had best not go over 10mph, lest you want to play pinball with the little children.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
Re "the asshole who drives slow", re-read the part you quoted. My statement is that matching general traffic speed is more important than the speed limit (and the fast lane is not 'general'), but past that, the speed limit is the final authority. I've driven on the QEW and parts of 401, so I'm pretty sure I know what kind of traffic you're talking about, and I've still never gone past 120 kph or so.

(On that note, the drivers in Canada are worse than I've seen in the U.S. - saying they "actually know how to drive" is a slanderous statement towards people who actually do. I've got anecdotes, if you're so inclined. tl;dr zipping everywhere, applying brakes randomly, no turn signals at all)

As a general tip, driving safely is more important than anything you have to worry about being late for. If you get somewhere late, make a note to leave earlier next time. It's not worth "saving your ass" by speeding if you run the risk of getting expensive speeding tickets and, over time, your driving privileges revoked. Please keep some perspective on "arriving at class a few minutes late" versus "2000 kg of flying death at 130 kph".

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2098 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:35 AM »
I've driven a small part of the QEW (going to Mississauga), and driven the 401 before (a couple times anyway), as well as driving the 400 all the way down there to get to those. The 401 is considered one of the worst highways in the entire world. It is actually worse than many huge highways in the US.

The 401 and QEW are entirely different beasts than the 400. Thy are EXTREMELY crowded except late at night, and in most cases during the day you can't do more than about 60 km/h on them anyway.

I've also driven down town Toronto (Dundass, Bloor, Queen, etc.) and THAT is scary driving. Compared the the occasional asshole you see in somewhere like midland or Barrie it's scary shit. I've seen cars move into the right lane without signaling (for a block that doesn't happen to have cars down the entire right line parked) step on it, and drive about 70 km/h for the block, and then slam on the brakes, and (without signaling again) cut someone off before they smack into a parked car. I've been honked at angrily for not cutting people off when I make a left. I've had someone go completely around me, cut me off, and make the left, cutting someone else off that was going down the street. Not to mention there's always construction, people run across the roads all the time with no warning, and there are the most fucked up rules about making turns I've ever seen. There are literally roads that say "No left turns between 7AM and 6PM mon-fri, no right turns except on holidays" and fucked up crap like that. I think I've pretty much seen the worst driving this country has to offer, and survived it. I take it better than my friends, too, who usually get really pissed, either at the huge traffic, or the asshole drivers.

I drive a lot differently in situations like those than I do on the 400 and in Midland and Barrie.

But I do usually keep up with the general speed. If I were to be the asshole driving slow in Toronto, I'd be WAY more likely to be hit, maybe even just to spite me, than I would if I just drive like everyone else.

My statement is that matching general traffic speed is more important than the speed limit (and the fast lane is not 'general'), but past that, the speed limit is the final authority. I've driven on the QEW and parts of 401, so I'm pretty sure I know what kind of traffic you're talking about, and I've still never gone past 120 kph or so.

As a general tip, driving safely is more important than anything you have to worry about being late for. If you get somewhere late, make a note to leave earlier next time. It's not worth "saving your ass" by speeding if you run the risk of getting expensive speeding tickets and, over time, your driving privileges revoked. Please keep some perspective on "arriving at class a few minutes late" versus "2000 kg of flying death at 130 kph".

I definitely agree with you. However, some of my teachers will absolutely NOT let you in if you are even 1 minute late (as in, they lock the doors), and if you miss that class, you may end up really far behind. And in all honesty, I think that I'm a lot safer than most other people at a comparable speed on the highway. I always give the person in front of me way more space than anyone else I see. Too many people now tailgate and ride right up someone's ass. I've been tempted to just slam on the brakes and let them rear end me, just to spite them. Any time there's a car in front of me, I've got more than enough space between me and them, no matter what speed I'm going (and the faster I go, the more space I give them). And I almost never pass on the right of someone, except if they are doing something like going 100 in the fast lane and refuse to move over.

I'm not trying to say I'm some miracle driver, but I know I don't have some of the bad habits that separate the horrible drivers (who shouldn't even have a license) from those who are acceptably bad.

tl;dr: I've driven in much worse than the 400, and can say that the 400 isn't nearly that bad. I agree that safety is important, so I'm nowhere near as bad as those assholes who are a crash waiting to happen, even if I'm not perfect.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 02, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
Oh joy.  Tornado warning.  Whoo!