Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 800430 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #2400 on: June 19, 2011, 06:10:40 PM »
Let peoples do wha peoples is gawn'a do man

But yea if a bitch is drunk its probably her fault
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
Why in the fuck do I need to answer a 100+ question quiz in order to apply for a job? What sort of bullshit pseudo science are they even using to dictate who could do a better job and an already simple as shit minimum wage job? Fuck, it's goddamn annoying. Also the fact that "entry level" positions require some sort of work experience (working at a shoe store required like 3 years of prior work experience doing the same job, what the shit).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2402 on: July 15, 2011, 12:25:49 AM »
No, XP, I don't want to fucking restart my system.  I'm using my damn computer (well, trying to...it's kinda hard with the restart prompt nagging me every five minutes)!  Why the fuck do you install updates while I'm bloody using my computer in the first place?

This OS is filled to the brim with this annoying bullshit, enough that it's almost impossible to remember to turn it all off until you run into it, in which case it turns into a massive waste of time.  Why the hell do people still like XP?

The worst part is that some people actually try to act like XP's many hand-holding features were never an issue.  But, no, inconsistent setups (the post-setup procedures for two XP discs could potentially be drastically different), a million settings that nobody likes or uses (desktop cleanup wizard), features that can easily cause you to lose data if you're away from the machine (automatic updates), and a complete lack of modern security features (too many to list!) are absolutely not a good thing.  Ditch this shit.

Speaking of which, I need to get 7 installed on this sucker again.  I thought I'd be able to make do until I got another laptop to replace my E1705, but my patience with this decade-old OS is wearing very thin.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #2403 on: July 16, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »
'cuz it doesn't need more space than is available on the OS/programs drive in my main desktop

For this drive I usually use the smallest drive I have laying around because an OS shouldn't need to use 20GB and I don't install a whole lot of programs... games usually get installed to my secondary internal drive, which is where the rest of my stuff is that isn't on my external drives

This has the downfall of me having to clean Opera's cache every goddamn week if I watch too many online videos so I'll probably replace it soon anyway

If the board doesn't catch the capacitor plague first like its two identical sister desktops I got with it did :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:55:46 PM by Alice »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2404 on: July 17, 2011, 05:05:45 AM »
Putting a hard disk space cap on how much space an OS should or shouldn't use is always going to lead to misery.  Unless you're running a very specific workload, that figure is going to balloon quickly as the OS takes on features and grows more capable.  I've seen customers who ran out of space on their OS partition with XP because they only gave it 20GB.  There's so many factors at work that it's hard to say how much space that it should or shouldn't take.

If you're limited on space (and/or funds), XP will probably serve you better than 7 would.  I just really don't think that it aged well.  Most of the features and concepts that it has were still in their early stages when it was developed and wind up being far more annoying than they are practical.  From a security standpoint, it's essentially from the last century.  Aside from SP2 changing some of the defaults, its model is almost the same as that from Windows 2000, making it a pain to run as a limited user.  Even if you are willing to invest the time and effort required to do so, it's still not as secure (Vista and 7 have the ability to run programs at an even lower privilege level; IE runs in this mode by default).  Considering how many virus infections can be avoided in this manner, it's no wonder that I wind up seeing far more infected XP machines despite it having a similar marketshare to 7 now.

Plus, XP's mere existence is greatly limited the Windows platform.  It simply can't support many of the latest technologies (without a complete overhaul, anyway), so the adoption of some very useful technologies built into Vista and 7 have been drastically slowed.  Vista's shaky launch can definitely share some of the blame for this (though much of what made Vista bad was ironed out in SP1 and SP2), but there are simply a lot of people out there that drag their feet when they see any sort of upgrade.  Some newer software is dropping support for XP, so we'll see if that makes more people jump to 7.

If the board doesn't catch the capacitor plague first like its two identical sister desktops I got with it did :)

The capacitor problem is enough to make anyone angry.  I still see systems occasionally that have been hit with that issue. :(

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #2405 on: July 17, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
I've seen customers who ran out of space on their OS partition with XP because they only gave it 20GB.
How'd they manage to do that?  (Besides the cleaning out the Opera cache thing) I've rarely had space issues with my setup.

The capacitor problem is enough to make anyone angry.  I still see systems occasionally that have been hit with that issue. :(
Yeah.  What sucks the most is that I know it's going to happen any time, now :(

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2406 on: July 17, 2011, 12:18:31 PM »
How'd they manage to do that?  (Besides the cleaning out the Opera cache thing) I've rarely had space issues with my setup.

I think it's mostly because they kept the same XP installation for years and years and years and years and years and years.  Just installing updates can take a crapload of space if you let it, since it makes a backup of the original files in every instance.

Yeah.  What sucks the most is that I know it's going to happen any time, now :(

Were the boards all purchased at the same time?  If the one that you're using is newer it might have a different batch of capacitors.  Hopefully.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #2407 on: July 17, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
I think so.  They're all HP xw4100 Workstations that were donated to my school at the same time and had the same specs.  Nobody used them so I ended up getting three.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2408 on: July 17, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »
Yeah, that looks like a widely affected model.  Very ouch. :(

Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a system that had a warranty replacement done or be lucky enough for the company to give a shit. (a local college here that I worked at had a ton of affected IBM machines that they sent out to get replaced -- IBM did a free, out-of-warranty replacement of the motherboards).  As for the latter, though, considering how "well" HP's handled what should have been a recall-level condition involving several laptop motherboards with a worse-than-Xbox 360 failure rate (the dv1000, dv6000, and dv9000 are all pretty much guaranteed to fail), I don't think the latter would be an option.  It would be worth a shot if your last system goes, I guess.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #2409 on: July 17, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »
Oh wow :(  I'll probably just end up getting a new desktop eventually, though (this one can't even run Mass Effect).  Depends on how well The Apartment Hunt goes.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2410 on: July 17, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »
Fortunately, you can build decent systems fairly cheaply now.  And you can always use your precious XP while you save up for a real OS. <3

Let me know if you need some help getting something together or picking anything out when you're ready for that.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2411 on: July 19, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Man, it always impresses me how willing you are to help us out with computer stuff.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 20, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »
Capcom.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2413 on: July 20, 2011, 11:24:06 PM »
Man, it always impresses me how willing you are to help us out with computer stuff.

I ARE PRETTY AWESOME. ;D

But yeah...I like you guys, so there you go.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:17 AM »
Seconding what Bobbias said, I'm surprised to tolerate me at all.

I am going fucking ape shit trying to navigate the GNC website so I can get a job. First of all, the fucking "careers" section isn't even accessible via the front page, you NEED to google "GNC careers" in order to even reach the page. Then it forces you to start an account with the sight, which I do, but it's evidently NOT the right account.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:07:40 PM by MortifiedocAlot »