Author Topic: FUCKING READ THIS  (Read 10347 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
FUCKING READ THIS
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Ulti

• View Profile
Re: FUCKING READ THIS
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
Ho ho, I am so glad I am going to PAX on Sunday.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
Too bad Duke Nukem is completely irrelevant at this point and even if the game releases, it'll get horrible sales and no one will care.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »
Too bad Duke Nukem is completely irrelevant at this point and even if the game releases, it'll get horrible sales and no one will care.

Speak for yourself.  My excitement for Duke Nukem Forever hasn't waned and I've been waiting for it ever since it was announced.  Even if it's just a rehash of Duke Nukem 3D it's going to be a lot better than the garbage that's flooding the market today.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:38 AM »
Never said I wouldn't enjoy it or play it. It's just very clearly irrelevant to gaming in general now. What he stood for back in the day is small potatoes now. And great, a small amount of people will enjoy it. That won't stop the massive majority from shitting all over the game and dismissing it giving it the horrible sales I just talked about.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:00:39 AM »
If it's a good game, the game is going to sell based on its own merits.  Duke Nukem's relevance really is irrelevant.  Many younger gamers likely haven't played Duke Nukem 3D (or, heaven forbid, the two sidescrollers that predated it), thus the franchise will feel fresh to them.  The people who have played and enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D will likely be interested in the game based on Duke's personality.

Even when it comes to sheer gameplay, like I said before, if DNF is a rehash of Duke Nukem 3D the quality of the game will still match or exceed anything that came out in the last decade.  The standards of first-person shooters are, for the most part, rather low nowadays.  Duke Nukem, as a character, definitely stands out from the crowd of space marines and army soldiers that have dominated shooters since Halo's unveiling.

Of course, there isn't enough information available to tell if Duke Nukem Forever will be a worthy successor to Duke Nukem 3D given its troubled and hush-hush development phase under George Broussard.  I'm still pretty convinced that if it followed the DN3D formula and keeps a similar core gameplay experience, it'll still wind up being a damn good game and will sell well.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »
I hope it's good. I hope for the love of god Spectere is right. The game won't live up to the hight, but hopefully most people remember the name Douk fondly, and if not, they remember how he's a parody of every shooter currently out.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:38:26 AM »
If it's a good game, the game is going to sell based on its own merits.

This isn't how gaming works anymore.

The standards might be low, but they're still extremely exacting on what MUST show up for a game to have a following. It's not going to follow those (thankfully) and therefore won't get a new following, which is what it needs to do well.

K-Mann

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 05:54:50 AM »
I think Prototype might be an exception. It came out alongside Infamous and I think Infamous overshadowed it quite a bit in expectations. But pretty much everyone I've talked to enjoyed Prototype more, even though to them it came out of no where.

I could be wrong though.

Either way, I am pretty excited for the Duke to come back :P

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 01:25:43 PM »
The standards might be low, but they're still extremely exacting on what MUST show up for a game to have a following. It's not going to follow those (thankfully) and therefore won't get a new following, which is what it needs to do well.

The way I see it, the core gamers nowadays, even ones that haven't heard of Duke, will likely enjoy his character and the overall gameplay simply due to how Duke behaves and what you do.  The character of Duke Nukem was incredibly fleshed out in the earlier games due to his wit and the way that he interacts with the player.  Honestly, I think his character development, if you will, was ahead of its time.  If DNF were to take that and run with that, it could very well generate a new following based on its old merits.

Most older games are very impersonal.  With Doom, Wolfenstein, etc, you never really got to know the character and see his/her behavior.  Your character was basically a blank slate and never interacted with any NPCs in any other way than through guns.  Duke Nukem 3D was one of the first shooters that I can think of that broke the mold and started pushing toward the modern style of giving your avatar a distinct personality.

Really, the framework is all there for a successful game.  The clincher is going to be whether Gearbox delivers and how much they're willing to market it.  Not to mention the sheer power of word-of-mouth, which I think we are forgetting here.  How many times have we all bought games just because a friend of ours says that it's good, or because we've played a little bit of it and got hooked?

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
I think you're putting too much weight on the character. Today's gamers don't even care a whole lot about the character they use. I'm talking they want multiplayer with some form of leveling and customization. They're going to have to copy either Halo or CoD on this or it's going to get dumped completely. They've already got health regeneration in the game so they've already dumbed it down a bit though.

And word of mouth doesn't account for a whole lot anymore. Just look at Okami or Valkyria Chronicles or Beyond Good & Evil for 3 games with extremely positive reviews and total bombs in sales. Even "professional" word of mouth didn't get those off the ground.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 06:36:19 PM »
I disagree, because Duke Nukem 3D basically focused on the character and his personality.  Halo and CoD don't put a whole lot of focus on the characters because the characters are absolutely nothing special.  Not only does Duke have a very distinctive look (even despite being your typical buff dude), but he has the personality of an action movie star, which I think resonates with people far more than your typically green and brown clad marine from every other game ever made.

And true, word of mouth can be flaky.  However, I feel that a game like Duke Nukem Forever is a game that would appeal to your average Halo player.  The games that you mentioned all appear to be niche titles, definitely not games that would ever become instant mainstream hits.  For better or for worse, first person shooters basically rule the world now.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
They've already got health regeneration in the game so they've already dumbed it down a bit though.

The way they're handling it seems god tho, the whole "you need to destroy/kill things to regen health" could easier be amazing or terrible, depending on how they handle it. Still beats sitting in a corner waiting to heal.

Also his character will only really matter with his fans, considering how kids these days seem to focus on the thing that Douk actually parodies, and are too dumb to understand that he's parodying it. I think Eggman said it best, kids want a multiplayer shooter with some sort of leveling, possible unlocks, and customization.

The thing is, most games won't sell well unless they have a fucking TON of hype and clever advertising, which is a shame. I know Douk won't outsell MW2 or Halo 3 or anything, but I hope it does well. It sounds promising thus far.

http://www.destructoid.com/i-played-duke-nukem-forever-today-what-the-f-ck--183108.phtml&mainnav=Top+stories

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:20 AM »
The way they're handling it seems god tho, the whole "you need to destroy/kill things to regen health" could easier be amazing or terrible, depending on how they handle it. Still beats sitting in a corner waiting to heal.

Agreed.  It also beats wasting time and looking around the entire level for health kits.  That's always annoying.

Also his character will only really matter with his fans, considering how kids these days seem to focus on the thing that Douk actually parodies, and are too dumb to understand that he's parodying it.

Like I said, it's going to depend on how the game is marketed.

I was 11 years old when Duke Nukem 3D was released and didn't understand many of the references that Duke spouted off.  That certainly didn't stop me from taking a liking to the character.  Granted, at the time, he was the only expressive character in a first-person shooter, so it really stood out, but even now there's a certain type of charm that literally no other character but Duke (and possibly Serious Sam, though it's very obvious that Sam was inspired by Duke Nukem) has in the midst of today's FPS.

I think Eggman said it best, kids want a multiplayer shooter with some sort of leveling, possible unlocks, and customization.

Those games are certainly dominating the industry, but there have been some games lately that achieved popularity without being primarily multiplayer shooters and aren't hype machines.

Take a look at Fallout 3.  How many people that played Fallout 3 have even seen a screenshot of the older titles?  You could argue that the game sold on Bethesda's name alone, but that still doesn't explain why Morrowind was able to compete with the original Halo (which was the reason why most people bought the Xbox in the first place) when the Xbox was released.  The original Halo didn't exactly offer Internet multiplayer support, but I can attest to it being all the rage in college dorm rooms at the time.  The fact that a game from a once-niche developer that clearly favored the PC (at least at the time) managed to hang in the top 10 chart should be proof enough that exceptions to the rule have been made, even post-Halo.

The thing is, most games won't sell well unless they have a fucking TON of hype and clever advertising, which is a shame. I know Douk won't outsell MW2 or Halo 3 or anything, but I hope it does well. It sounds promising thus far.

Comparing it to MW2 or Halo 3 would be foolish.  Of course it's not going to sell better than two of the most highly regarded multiplayer first-person shooters on the market nowadays.

As far as hype goes, the fact that they allowed PAX attendees to actually play it is a good way to kickstart the hype machine.  It's definitely a way to shock the people who have been waiting for this game since 1996 into believing, since this is the closest this game has come to having a tangible release in fourteen years.  Hearing about Gearbox taking up development was certainly an "oh shit" moment for me.  Basically, the gears are turning with the older Duke fans from this announcement.  If they make a marketing push and focus on the younger folk, they could very well have a successful title on their hands.

Mercenaries 2 is living proof that a good marketing campaign can sell a game.  That game was practically released in a beta state, was panned by critics (and, of course, in the gaming press, "panned" means that it scored between 75-80%), yet sold like hotcakes because the marketing was bloody genius.

P.S. Please disregard any blatant logic/spelling/grammar errors in this post.  I desperately need sleep right now. :x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
You're missing the other point on those games (Fallout 3 and Mercenaries 2) and that's that the other flavor of the month these days is sandbox games. Market games and tell people that they can do anything in them and they'll play it.