Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 257412 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
Yeah, it was insane how slow 3.6 was, enjoying 4.0 much more.

A fresh install of 3.6 on an almost-freshly installed copy of Windows 7 took 10 seconds to start on my Core i7 desktop and 15 seconds to start on my Core Duo laptop.  Insane.

4.0 on my desktop takes about 5 seconds.  Of course, it still has a way to go to take down Chrome, which takes about a second to start on both this system and my laptop...literally.  Internet Explorer 9 starts up faster than Firefox does, too -- roughly 2.5 seconds.

Regardless, improvements are improvements.

Edit: Also, finally got around to cloning my laptop hard drive to the replacement one.  Strangely enough, Western Digital sent me a 750GB hard drive to replace my 500GB drive.  I'm not complaining.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:33:27 AM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that being manly and being self destructive are basically the same thing.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
Weird, FF 4.0 crashes all over the place on my comp. You open it, try to load a page, crash, restart it, load a page, open another tab, crash. etc.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:49 PM »
They wouldn't release it if it didn't work well with 64-bit systems.

Try killing your Firefox profile.  Go to %appdata% and %localappdata% in Explorer, rename or delete the Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles directory, and try restarting.  Also, make sure that Flash is updated, because that plugin can cause a myriad of issues.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2011, 12:36:06 AM »
I just noticed this very odd error pop up before FF crashed after deleting the profiles...

It reads: "NSIS Error: Error writing temporary file. Make sure your temp folder is valid."

Now, NSIS is the nullsoft installer, and after a bit of googling I noticed that Mozilla moved to recently using a custom installer based on NSIS, and when I checked where the process for that error was, it was in temp files and the file was called Browser Update 11.

Upon a bit of further checking, I loaded the info for one of the crash reports, and it reported that the page causing the crash was:
http://d1.openx.org/afr.php?zoneid=186739&cb=56894
Which led me to a page in Dutch, but I was able to see mention of Trojan.Agent.CK.

I know I was infected a while back, but I thought I got rid of it. I've scanned with ClamWin as well as HijackThis and Spybot, and nothing came up except a few tracking cookies.

EDIT2: Looks like I missed some stuff, found a couple bad BHOs, and a suspicious regsvr entry for running on boot...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:02:01 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2011, 09:49:33 AM »
I use Opera

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2011, 10:52:32 AM »
And I use chrome...

I still would like to have a working copy of FF on the system. My GF prefers FF, and I occasionally use Torbutton/Tor and with that FF is actually more secure than running chrome with Tor.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »
That is fairly awesome. Also I feel like my life is slightly better now that I'm not on my PC constantly. I really need to get it working again.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2011, 04:06:09 AM »
Just signed up for a 14-day Zune Pass trial tonight.

Looks good so far.  It reminds me of Rhapsody, except that I seem to be able to access some artists that are no longer available on Rhapsody, I get to keep 10 tracks a month (whoa!), and the player doesn't crash so much that it makes me want to unsubscribe.  Oh, I can also play the tracks on my phone.

It's a shame that there's no Zune app for iOS.  I'd love to consolidate everything onto my iPod Touch.  That being said, I somewhat doubt that Microsoft would make an app like that, and I doubt that Apple would allow it to be published anyway, since they have that nasty non-compete clause in their developer agreement.

K-Mann

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
Speaking of the touch, I'm wondering if its worth it to jailbreak my 2nd gen. I like it the way it is but I hear alot of good stuff about it (if done right, obviously)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
I had both my work iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 4th Gen jailbroken for a little while.  I loved having the iPhone jailbroken because it let me do some thing that were very useful on the phone itself (LockInfo is amazing), but about the only thing I miss when it comes to the iPod is the port of osu!.  Outside of doing interface customizations, I can't think of any good reason to keep it jailbroken.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »
I have a pay as you go phone

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2011, 04:46:55 AM »
Speaking of the touch, I'm wondering if its worth it to jailbreak my 2nd gen. I like it the way it is but I hear alot of good stuff about it (if done right, obviously)

I think the original reason/want/need for jailbreaking was because the iPod originally didn't have any app store to speak of? When I had mine like that when I first got it, I could get any app i saw LEGITIMATELY using an app downloader. After not using my ipod for a while for whatever reason, I jailbroke it again, and found that it really didn't do all that much for me. Free apps are good enough and I'm not such a mobile-entertainment junkie that I need it to play Avatar or 3D games and shit. I was never into mobile gaming anyway, psp/gameboys included.

I wiped mine and put the factory iOS back on it, works great and I don't have to worry about it fucking up
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
I think the original reason/want/need for jailbreaking was because the iPod originally didn't have any app store to speak of?

Yep, nailed it.  iOS 1.x didn't have an app store.  I keep forgetting about that, since I've only used iOS 2.x and up.

I had a fairly recent jailbreak on my iPod (I think I had it on during 4.1; it wasn't long after I bought my Touch) and the lack of QC and number of ripoffs really turned me off to it.  I tried putting emulators on the thing and despite the A4 being more than capable, I found that every emulator that I tried sucked (a GameBoy emulator that I tried was laggy and unresponsive) and had a price tag associated with it.  Most of the free games were about as complex as arcade-style calculator games.  It almost seems like Cydia turned into a Winterboard (a piece of software used to customize how the iOS interface looks) store as of late.  Oh, and most of the Winterboard themes on there suck, too.

I do really miss having my iPhone jailbroken, and if I didn't have so much data on it I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I was able to get functional substitutes for the nice iOS 4 features (namely, multitasking and categories) under the much faster iOS 3 (this is a 3G, so 4.x hurts its poor electronic soul).  More importantly, it seems like most of the quality Cydia apps are more geared toward phones.  LockInfo and QuickReply are two fantastic pieces of software, and are well worth their price tag.  However, considering the iPod is tethered to wi-fi, I don't see much of a purpose for putting LockInfo on it, and there's zero reason for using QuickReply.