Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 654920 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #390 on: April 12, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
Like I said, the only reason Vista uses all of that memory is because it performs very aggressive caching.  It's not a resource hog.  If another application needs that memory, it'll release it instantly.  The reason Vista feels faster than XP in a number of cases is because it performs that caching.  Microsoft isn't pushing up memory requirements because they feel like it -- they're pushing them up because there's no need to keep them down.  Cheap computers come with 2GB of RAM nowadays; why not use it to make the OS run faster?

Also, vlad, if you think that Vista requiring 512MB of RAM is outlandish, try taking a fully upgraded XP SP2 system and reducing it to less than 512MB of RAM.  It's probably going to run worse than a Vista system would with 512MB.

My dad had a fairly clean 256MB system running XP SP2 and it runs like ass.  The only things he installed in it are Quicken, TurboTax, and Ad-Aware.  He slapped an extra 256MB stick in it and all of a sudden it started running smooth.  XP, when fully upgraded, needs just as much RAM as Vista does.

One thing that does make me laugh is when Apple fanboys go on about how much memory Vista takes.  Guess what -- OS X requires 512MB of RAM as well.

Edit:

I have 457 MB in use, and that's with all the background apps open and a firefox window eating up 88,560k. :/

Yep, Firefox definitely loves memory...

That's about the only gripe I have with it.  I have to run Opera on my P2-300 (equipped with 64MB) simply because Firefox consumes more memory than the system even has.  Opera's a fine browser, though, so it's all good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:17:25 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #391 on: April 12, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »
I found my first star note ever today :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_note

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #392 on: April 12, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »
Yep, Firefox definitely loves memory...

Yep, it does because it caches pages you've been to up to 8 pages per tab. (among other things). It's there to make hitting the back button faster, lol.
Lots of tabs = lots of memory taken. I've seen firefox eat 250+ MB of memory on here, thanks to their caching system.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #393 on: April 12, 2008, 05:31:15 PM »
The biggest problem with Firefox when it comes to its caching is that, unlike Vista, it doesn't know when to stop; it'll happily run your computer out of memory and fill your swap file, bringing whatever you wanted to do to a screeching halt.

Truth be told, Opera seems to do something similar (you can go back/forward almost instantly) but it runs perfectly well on machines without a whole lot of memory.  What Firefox needs is an easy way (not an about:config way, because changing setting in that interface is like getting a root canal with no Novocaine) to set the maximum amount of RAM that you want to devote to caching, like the old Mozilla suite used to let you do.

jinxie

• Meow!
  • cool kids club president 2004-2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 12, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
I think Dan has most of the cache-ing on our firefox turned off. 

in relation to topic... uh...

I took a long well needed nap today.  yummmmmmmm

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 13, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
I went to the local arcade today for the first time in about 5 months to find that all of my ITG-oriented files had been put back on the machine by someone I don't even know. I was pretty happy about that, because the files I made are my favorites. Plus, it means my stuff is considered good by a lot of people instead of just people who know me.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #396 on: April 13, 2008, 07:52:10 PM »
Yeah, I liked your files before I really talked to you on here. I was kinda surprised with one of those "oh, wicked" type thoughts when I realized who you were on here and such (sorta like when I first noticed eggman posting a lot on here.) Just one of those "oh cool, someone who's somewhat known online, and he hangs out here" type thought.

But yeah, that's pretty cool.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 15, 2008, 05:03:25 PM »
Kate told me I was a "pretty amazing guy" on prom night. I didn't know how to take that compliment, and it's been echoing in my head since.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

A2P

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 28, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »
The biggest problem with firefox is whenever I have to look at someone's html loaded myspace page (or a score thread), it has a good chance of just shutting the fuck DOWN
Nice to see another memorable name though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2008, 10:45:22 PM »
That's generally the fault of a plugin (probably Flash) than Firefox itself, though.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #400 on: April 28, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »
Yeah, Flash has cause my FF to need to be closed quite a few times. And it only rarely actually gives me a message saying a plugin has fucked up.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2008, 11:25:33 PM »
unfortunately, that belongs in the paring knives of anger thread and  not potatoes of happy.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
So, I checked my bank account online, afraid I had overdrafted. Seriously, I hate to check my bank account because every time I do I have less money than I thought I did/want to.

Anyway, open that shit up, and BAM! $460.97. Fuck yes!

My potatoes are totally being fried.

Stimulus check was nice. Now I get to pay rent for next month. 30 more days of a place to sleep, yay. :] This couldn't come at a better time, the economy sucks and everyone that works in retail is getting their hours cut. 25 hour work weeks aren't cutting it that much. :\

Christ, I'd almost like to say that George W. Bush did something right for once, but... That's being very generous.

As tempting as it is for me to want to by a wireless card and a new keyboard, I must restrain myself. Oh the humanity.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
I didn't think I was getting paid anything on my last paycheck, but the statement came in the mail today and I ended up getting $117. Woohoo.

PS apparently I got a raise, too. Sweeeet. Makin' ten bucks an hour now 8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:18:25 PM by TimJing »

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 12, 2008, 06:48:01 PM »
Today, I took my AP Physics exam, which was pretty much the last thing I had worth caring about in high school. Now all I have to do is wait for graduation.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)