Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 648794 times)

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2008, 12:32:21 AM »
The new Mountain Dew Voltage. Delicious. That stuff floods my mouth with sex when I drink it.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2008, 06:39:22 AM »
I think the balloon (or other popups, like the "download complete" box in Firefox) lag the system out so much (in full screen mode, anyway) because they're drawing a 2D surface over a 3D surface.  I don't seem to recall having any issues when SM was windowed in XP.

There is a small performance hit (maybe 20 FPS, if that, and that's only from the fade animation) but since it's windowed and not using vsync, things can get pretty studdery dropping 20 FPS. I'm really sensitive to things like studder and changes in the FPS.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
YES.  I pretty much have a new job now!  I'm going to turn in my two weeks notice to the current shitstorm very soon.

I think in the new job I'm going to be a technician for a contracting agency that does a lot of medical billing type stuff.  It's also in Ohio, so I'll be able to avoid the ridiculous living expenses in Maryland.

That said, SHARDE, YOU NEED TO COME OVER BEFORE I GO BACK.

Jupi, I'll be seeing you, Nick, and vyhd again soon!  And Jinxie/Dan, move the fuck back to PA. <3

There is a small performance hit (maybe 20 FPS, if that, and that's only from the fade animation) but since it's windowed and not using vsync, things can get pretty studdery dropping 20 FPS. I'm really sensitive to things like studder and changes in the FPS.

Unless your framerate is relatively lowish, it's probably dropping more than 20FPS.  It's just such a sudden and short drop that the framerate counter can't properly account for it.  Even so, that is a pretty large drop.

You might want to try having it render in DirectX instead of OpenGL (which is the default in almost all cases).  Edit your StepMania.ini (or Preferences.ini in 4.0) and change the VideoDrivers section.  First driver listed gets priority.  I doubt you'll have a problem wrapping your head around how to change it. ;P  In my experience, DirectX generally works far better when running StepMania in Windows.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

« Reply #528 on: June 11, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
It's also in Ohio, so I'll be able to avoid the ridiculous living expenses in Maryland.

back to tornado alley with yee

and, i have a 4th edition character made

level 2 dwarven cleric named Angus Blackthorn

bitchin'

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #529 on: June 11, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »
Unless your framerate is relatively lowish, it's probably dropping more than 20FPS.  It's just such a sudden and short drop that the framerate counter can't properly account for it.  Even so, that is a pretty large drop.

You might want to try having it render in DirectX instead of OpenGL (which is the default in almost all cases).  Edit your StepMania.ini (or Preferences.ini in 4.0) and change the VideoDrivers section.  First driver listed gets priority.  I doubt you'll have a problem wrapping your head around how to change it. ;P  In my experience, DirectX generally works far better when running StepMania in Windows.

Quote from: stepmania.ini
VideoRenderers=d3d,opengl

Already using D3D. I think I run at about 140 FPS on average, but when a balloon comes up, it goes to hell for a bit. But even dropping something like 10 FPS or so produces noticeable stutter. I'm just REALLY sensitive to frame rate issues when playing stepmania. I'd play full screen, but it's just too big for me now, since I've been playing windowed at 800x600 in 1280x1024 and 1440x900 that I just can't stand it full screen.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #530 on: June 11, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
I don't think it's so much that you're sensitive to it (otherwise a light bulb running on 60hz AC would drive you apeshit), it's just that the drop is sharp and fast enough that it looks bad but isn't bad enough to register a drop on the framerate counter.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:20 PM »
If your at 140, and it drops 10, wouldn't you not see the difference? Unless you are used to a monitor with some ungodly high refresh rate.

Also was playing a 4 person FFA on brawl with some of my friended players. So it was me fighting 1 on 1 with the last guy standing, he had just killed me with a smash ball and had taken a lot of damage, so he went down to camp the lower part of spear pillar (he also camps often in FFA, he wins a lot but I don't see how it could be fun to spam projectiles at people fighting in a FFA). So, after standing still and noticing him not coming up, I spam my taunt that says "LOL spam and camp", so he started spamming his "What a MAGGOT". So, after about 40 or so seconds of that, one of the already dead people in game ended it (you can pause, which gives you the option of either dropping out or ending the match). Which resulted in the next round starting with his "WTF" taunt.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #532 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:05 AM »
Work today was actually really easy, TONS of answering machines and privacy managers. And I met a few black women at work that want me to appraise coins for them :D

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #533 on: June 12, 2008, 01:35:05 AM »

I think in the new job I'm going to be a technician for a contracting agency that does a lot of medical billing type stuff.  It's also in Ohio, so I'll be able to avoid the ridiculous living expenses in Maryland.

Jupi, I'll be seeing you, Nick, and vyhd again soon!  And Jinxie/Dan, move the fuck back to PA. <3
pretty large drop.

If I weren't sitting in Vyhd's house right now while everyone else is either in bed or asleep, I think I would have just squealed. 

But I managed to restrain myself and I only flailed my arms with glee.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #534 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:48 AM »
Work today was actually really easy, TONS of answering machines and privacy managers.

Heh, if I told that to my boss he'd accuse me of lying again...

And I met a few black women at work that want me to appraise coins for them :D

XD

Speaking of that, were there any winners in that stack of pennies I forced you to take?

Edit:
If I weren't sitting in Vyhd's house right now while everyone else is either in bed or asleep, I think I would have just squealed. 

:D

But yeah, I never got to hang out with you all that much and stuff...there were a few random encounters and that one night we decided to go to StarBucks (and when I tried to run back to NPCH while carrying all of that crap).  GOOD TIMES.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #535 on: June 12, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »
If your at 140, and it drops 10, wouldn't you not see the difference? Unless you are used to a monitor with some ungodly high refresh rate.

Uh, when it's not full screen, it's not synched to the monitor, which means we can get stutter and tearing. Just because it's rendering 140 times a second doesn't mean every render is displayed fully when the screen refreshes.

Tearing and stuttering happen when a frame is partially drawn at the time the monitor updates, but if the framerate is stuttering really badly you can get some pretty ugly movement in SM.

By sensitive, I mean the effects of the drop in framerate. Any tiny amount of jagged movement due to tearing etc. bugs me. If it gets bas bad as most frapps videos, I couldn't play worth crap (part of the reason I am not making videos of me playing).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 12, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »
Heh, if I told that to my boss he'd accuse me of lying again...

XD

But yeah, I never got to hang out with you all that much and stuff...there were a few random encounters and that one night we decided to go to StarBucks (and when I tried to run back to NPCH while carrying all of that crap).  GOOD TIMES.

Yeah, we haven't gotten to party nearly enough. 

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2008, 12:31:04 AM »
Speaking of that, were there any winners in that stack of pennies I forced you to take?

They were all winners. :D

My parents got a membership to Sam's Club again, which means I can go buy ridiculously cheap stuff with them now. Which is pimp.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:07 AM »
Still chillin' at Vyhd's house. 

ooooh yeah.  :D

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2008, 05:49:05 AM »
Tearing and stuttering happen when a frame is partially drawn at the time the monitor updates, but if the framerate is stuttering really badly you can get some pretty ugly movement in SM.

I thought that was the whole idea behind vsync.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.