Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 654953 times)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #1005 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:23 PM »
Just watched the Iron Man movie.

It was much better then what I though.

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #1006 on: October 07, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »
I'm going to see Infected Mushroom live on the 29th.

Lucky cock! Tell them to come down here.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1007 on: October 08, 2008, 02:22:03 AM »
This past weekend. <3

Also, MOAR.

I set me up foo_controlserver on my main system and threw a remote controller on my PSP.  Since it uses Wi-Fi vigorously it drains the crap out of the battery, but it works quite well.  It comes in handy when I'm helping out somewhere upstairs that isn't my room or if we ever get a set of wireless headphones that don't suck.

We also got a free, damaged laptop.  The system works for the most part, but it received some liquid damage and the system was dropped multiple times (translation: the screen is about half-dead and plugging anything into the front USB ports causes the system to instantly shut down due to reasons of short circuiting).  We hooked it up to our family TV to stream Netflix movies to the largish screen but I had no choice but to up the ante.

Let's just say, the system now has XBMC installed.  I have a dedicated user account for it that automagically starts it (without wasting RAM by loading Explorer ;)), I enabled the web interface so that we could control it from another laptop and my PSP, dumped a bunch of videos (30-35GB worth, I'd say?), and started peppering the network with SMB shares to do remote stuff.  I have a few other things that I want to implement -- namely, getting a web browser (probably Opera) to work with it seamlessly -- but I think it's pretty good for a couple hours of work.  I love having things to play with.

Now I can't wait until we get a wireless keyboard and/or a proper remote. :)
"This is a machine for making cows."

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 08, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »
Or you could use a Wiimote as a remote and get a cheap bluetooth dongle. That's what I do for watching movies/anime on my computer. Of course, this is assuming the laptop has a free USB port.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 08, 2008, 03:32:59 AM »
We also got a free, damaged laptop.  The system works for the most part, but it received some liquid damage and the system was dropped multiple times (translation: the screen is about half-dead and plugging anything into the front USB ports causes the system to instantly shut down due to reasons of short circuiting).  We hooked it up to our family TV to stream Netflix movies to the largish screen but I had no choice but to up the ante.

Let's just say, the system now has XBMC installed.  I have a dedicated user account for it that automagically starts it (without wasting RAM by loading Explorer ;)), I enabled the web interface so that we could control it from another laptop and my PSP, dumped a bunch of videos (30-35GB worth, I'd say?), and started peppering the network with SMB shares to do remote stuff.  I have a few other things that I want to implement -- namely, getting a web browser (probably Opera) to work with it seamlessly -- but I think it's pretty good for a couple hours of work.  I love having things to play with.

Damn. Even with the damage, that's a good deal to come across. I'd like to check that out sometime, get a chance to destroy mess with it, that sort of thing. Seeing as I'm something like 5 minutes away, it shouldn't be quite as hard to pull off as before. :P

On the subject, I'm working on making MPlayer work on that machine next time I go. That'll be a fun time, being able to watch movies and anime and such on the machine. :D

For further frying, the high school marching band's last competition is this Saturday at Meadowbrook, the one they go to every year (and, as of the last three years, qualified for state competition at), and I'm going with a friend to watch them. <3

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 08, 2008, 03:25:36 PM »
The latest xkcd: http://xkcd.com/486/

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1011 on: October 08, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »
The alt text wins that one.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #1012 on: October 08, 2008, 08:29:26 PM »
Finished applying for Florida State University yesterday. Glad I got that out of the way, even though it wasn't very hard >_>

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 09, 2008, 02:50:53 AM »
The alt text wins that one.

I always forget to check that, and it's always the best part.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1014 on: October 09, 2008, 04:07:47 AM »
Or you could use a Wiimote as a remote and get a cheap bluetooth dongle. That's what I do for watching movies/anime on my computer. Of course, this is assuming the laptop has a free USB port.

It does have a free, working USB port.  Thing is, I only have one Wiimote and the system is one floor under my room (it normally wouldn't be an issue, I guess, but I've actually been using my Wii for Megaman 9 as of late), so that's definitely a no-go.  For now, the PSP, a web browser, or an old school remote (i.e. getting up and poking the keyboard) will have to do.

Also, my dad's main justification for getting a wireless keyboard and not just a remote is that we'd be able to surf the web from the couch and generally just use the computer for other things.  Certainly not a bad idea -- a 32" LCD TV, even at a lowish resolution, certainly beats a 17" computer monitor.  If nothing else, it's easier on the eyes since you're not right in front of it.

I probably wouldn't use it since my monitor is basically a 1200p TV anyway, but it's nice for my dad. ;)

Damn. Even with the damage, that's a good deal to come across.

Indeed!

The only thing that concerns me is how much longer the system is going to last.  The hard drive especially; after that many falls it's amazing the thing still works.

On the bright side, I can always switch to XBMC Live should the hard drive fail.  We'd just have to stream all of the content through the network; nothing big.

I'd like to check that out sometime, get a chance to destroy mess with it, that sort of thing. Seeing as I'm something like 5 minutes away, it shouldn't be quite as hard to pull off as before. :P

Haha, very true.

Just as a heads up, the system is running Windows XP, so no Tux love there.  My dad wants to be able to use the system when he needs to and having Linux on it sort of compromises that. :P  The hard drive definitely isn't big enough for two operating systems and a plethora of media, either (it's only an 80GB drive and space is already becoming an issue given the rate that I'm filling it up).

The XBMC box only truly needs one more thing -- a way of getting rid of the damn XP Welcome screen a bit faster.  When using a non-standard shell (such as StepMania or XBMC :P) the Welcome screen tends to freeze on the profile loading step longer than it should.  It wouldn't be an issue if that didn't completely prevent any full screen or 3D accelerated applications from running.  Right now I have the startup script set to delay loading XBMC for thirty seconds to allow the screen to give up but that's obviously not ideal.  Definitely something I need to research one of these days.  The system starts up very quickly (15 seconds to the Welcome screen, if I were to guesstimate), it's a shame that I'd have to ruin that by inserting a completely arbitrary delay during the login phase.

On the subject, I'm working on making MPlayer work on that machine next time I go. That'll be a fun time, being able to watch movies and anime and such on the machine. :D

Awesome. :)

Shouldn't be too hard, but the end result would definitely be worth it.

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 09, 2008, 04:23:14 AM »

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 09, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »
I got my "I survived the LHC" shirt today.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1017 on: October 09, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Think you might find some use in that?

Thanks, but probably not.  AutoRuns is essentially msconfig.exe on acid, allowing you to selectively disable startup programs from every possible place rather than the outdated and limited selection that msconfig provides (msconfig leaves out support for policy-based runs, in addition to a few other places that spyware in particular likes to lurk).

The problem isn't getting it to start, it's getting the Welcome screen to bugger off so that I can run fullscreen and accelerated applications.  Proper shells (Explorer, bbLean, LiteStep, etc) will cause the Welcome screen to disappear very quickly, so I doubt that it'll be tough to write a quick program that does that.  The Welcome screen stays on the "loading profile" message for exactly thirty seconds before disappearing, which leads me believe that it's designed to mask the process of the shell loading until the shell specifically gives it the word to stop (or until the thirty second timeout expires).

Of course, this is all conjecture until I actually get some research done on it, but given how the system behaves it seems like a reasonable hypothesis to me.

Edit: Here we are!  Pulled from the bbLean source:

/* Hack to terminate the XP welcome screen... */
    HANDLE hSRE;
    hSRE = OpenEvent(EVENT_MODIFY_STATE, FALSE, "Global\\msgina: ShellReadyEvent");
    if (hSRE) { SetEvent(hSRE), CloseHandle(hSRE); }
    hSRE = OpenEvent(EVENT_MODIFY_STATE, FALSE, "msgina: ShellReadyEvent");
    if (hSRE) { SetEvent(hSRE), CloseHandle(hSRE); }
    /*hSRE = CreateEvent(NULL, 0, 0, "ShellReadyEvent");
    if (hSRE) { SetEvent(hSRE); }*/]

Given that the event is specifically called "ShellReadyEvent" it seems as though my hypothesis is correct.  Jubilation!

Now all I need to do is fire up Visual Studio and do something about this...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 05:03:23 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1018 on: October 09, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
Lol, I like how they labeled it as a hack.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1019 on: October 09, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »
That's about the only way to put it.

Custom shells are, obviously, not officially supported.  I don't think ShellReadyState is well-documented, if documented at all, for that reason.