Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 649537 times)

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #1860 on: October 11, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
Dinner on you?  Sounds like I should join.  And bring Annie.  o.o
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1861 on: October 11, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
Little Orphan Annie?
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 12, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
Needs to be christmas time.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
Deposited some money and managed to take out like 3 hornets nests without getting stinged.

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »
Deposited some money and managed to take out like 3 hornets nests without getting stinged.
*stung
Fixed.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 12, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
So been talking to a gaming buddy outside of steam and what not and her and I have alot in common.  I may have a crush on her  :-X

Nope she is my girlfriend now...and she will be flying out to see me when I come home for christmas.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:29:29 PM by OmegaOmni »

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 17, 2011, 11:24:57 PM »
Aww, yay!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1867 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:13 PM »
My Das Keyboard shipped.  I should be receiving it on Thursday.

I are excite.

The Logitech G15 v2 has proven to be a horrible keyboard to both type on and game on.  There is absolutely no tactile feel to the keys (even the Logitech Elite, another rubber dome keyboard, feels better, and its keys are stiff as hell), and they have a very mushy feel to them.  Even the media buttons feel mushy and unresponsive.  The backlighting looks nice and the LCD is a nifty feature, but those do not a good keyboard make.  I've gotten much more development work done on my significantly slower laptop because its scissor-switch keyboard has a significantly better feel to it.  That's just sad.

The key matrix for the G15 is also kind of bizarre.  Playing Binding of Issac was a nightmare, because literally only two combinations of the up, down, left, and right arrows can be pressed at once.  If you accidentally tap down while you're holding up and left, BAM.  You stop moving/shooting.  Not that it would be any fun playing it in the first place.  I gave up trying to play Super Meat Boy on that rig because of that.  I plugged in my old Elite into another USB port and my success rate at SMB was closer to that of my laptop since you can actually feel the keys bottoming out on the Elite (which is how a gaming keyboard should be.  You don't have to guess the trigger point on a controller button, after all).

I should also note that the legs that prop the keyboard up broke within two months of normal use, and Logitech offers no replacement parts for sale on their web site.

Strangely enough, the original G15 keyboard is actually a significant improvement to the shit-tastic v2.  The keys are light and have a crisp, responsive feel.  The LCD is bigger, making it easier to steal a quick glance at it (though the dull backlight is a very large problem for that model).  There are 18 G-keys which, while excessive, is better than the G15 v2's paltry 6.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the ports are USB 1.1?  Really, Logitech?  REALLY?  I have a fucking Apple keyboard right next to me from September 200-fucking-3 that has a USB 2.0 hub built-in.  There is no excuse whatsoever for a modern $100 gaming keyboard not to have USB 2.0 ports.  It seems like a petty thing to bitch about, but for the price it's hard not to expect something that's at least practical.

Long story short, I'm not going to miss it.  The only thing I'm going to miss is writing programs to use the LCD display, but even then you're very much limited on resolution (unless you really, really want to spent $200 on the G18 keyboard, which most likely offers the same typing "experience" as the G15).

Another thing that's pathetic: at work I use a Dell keyboard, which uses low-profile keys.  It doesn't feel like it uses scissor switches, but rather low-travel rubber domes (maybe I'll pry one of the key caps off tomorrow, if I'm feeling adventurous).  It's easily the best "cheap" keyboard that I've ever used.  Dell sells it for $20 (I believe this is the one that I'm using) and it's significantly better for typing than a keyboard that's five times its price.  Pathetic.

I don't know what's worse.  The fact that it sucks so hard at being a keyboard or the fact that I bought it in the first place.

But, thankfully, I will be liberated on Thursday.  Rejoice!

Edit: Strange how many people seem to find the G15 G2 to be a "pleasant" keyboard to type on.  I normally manage 100-120 on both my laptop and work keyboard with a low error rate.  I have a very hard time breaking 100 on the G15 without having a plethora of errors.  Different folks, different strokes, I guess.

Also, I am very amused by this: http://lowendmac.com/fishkin/08af/leopard-vs-vista.html.  A web site focused on Macs essentially saying that OS X and Vista are on equal footing with a fair and balanced review of the two operating systems.  What the flying fuck?  I didn't think such a thing existed!  Andrew Fishkin of Low End Mac deserves serious kudos for that, even if some of the comparisons are a little strange (many of the comparisons, while valid, are a bit like apples and oranges -- Office and Office: Mac are produced by different teams, for instance).  I suppose in terms of user performance, it's far better than spouting out XYZMark results.

And yes, OS X really shuts down that quickly.  My 1.25GHz G4 iMac, running 10.5.6, shuts down in seconds.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:00:39 AM by Spectere »

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1868 on: October 20, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
OS X always shut down immediately for me, cuz it was always crashing!!!!!!

actually it (used 10.5 at the place I worked) didn't crash a lot but it'd always take a really long time to shut down, probably because I ran half a million things for weeks on it between reboots.  Note, this was AFTER I manually closed everything I was running

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1869 on: October 20, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
OS X is a weird beast.  My iMac shuts down ludicrously fast (five seconds on average).  However, the iMac that I used at my last job acted like a piece of junk.  It ran Snow Leopard and typically took a minute to shut down.  On top of that, Finder had a nasty tendency to crash to badly that the system needed a cold boot if you tried to do too many network file operations during a session.  And yes, I've tried everything that I could to keep from holding the power button down and doing a hard shutdown.  I even did research on the issue and people pretty much said "that's just the way it is."  Yeah.  Nice.

That being said, my G4 is amazingly stable and reliable, if sluggish at times.  Like I said: weird.

In other news, my Das Keyboard came in today.  Oh ho, what a difference.  The keys feel very light, crisp, and reponsive, making typing effortless while simultaneously letting me know exactly when each switch makes contact.  Full n-key rollover is a nice bonus, for sure.  I think I'm going to try playing some games that I never used to be able to play well on this system (VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, etc) and see how I do now.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1870 on: October 21, 2011, 12:06:16 AM »
OS X is a weird beast.  My iMac shuts down ludicrously fast (five seconds on average).  However, the iMac that I used at my last job acted like a piece of junk.  It ran Snow Leopard and typically took a minute to shut down.  On top of that, Finder had a nasty tendency to crash to badly that the system needed a cold boot if you tried to do too many network file operations during a session.  And yes, I've tried everything that I could to keep from holding the power button down and doing a hard shutdown.  I even did research on the issue and people pretty much said "that's just the way it is."  Yeah.  Nice.

That being said, my G4 is amazingly stable and reliable, if sluggish at times.  Like I said: weird.

In other news, my Das Keyboard came in today.  Oh ho, what a difference.  The keys feel very light, crisp, and reponsive, making typing effortless while simultaneously letting me know exactly when each switch makes contact.  Full n-key rollover is a nice bonus, for sure.  I think I'm going to try playing some games that I never used to be able to play well on this system (VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, etc) and see how I do now.

SO MUCH ENVY.

I really want a good keyboard :/ I make so many typos on this keyboard. Hell, I missed hitting the I in "this" there twice before actually typing it, thanks to the shitty keys on this thing.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1871 on: October 21, 2011, 01:22:52 AM »
The sad part is that the Das Keyboard doesn't cost much more than considerably shittier "gaming" keyboards.  I paid $100 for my G15v2.

The best part about the Das is that if you want a keyboard that's more geared for gaming you can always get the silent edition, which comes equipped with Cherry MX Brown switches, which are tactile (unlike the MX Blacks, which are intended for games) but has a very close reset/actuation point.  The regular Das has the MX Blues, which are absolutely orgasmic when it comes to typing but not quite as good for gaming, as the reset point is above the actuation point.  That being said, I can double-tap keys far better with these Blues than I can with that rubber dome abomination that I was using before, so this is still a considerably upgrade for me, even in terms of gaming.

Also, the noise that this thing makes is kind of weird.  When I first unboxed it in an open room it sounded a bit underwhelming, especially considering the fact that one of the accessories that they sell are earplugs.  When I actually plugged it in and sat over it, I found that it is actually pleasantly loud. :)  I might actually have a chance of hearing my keystrokes over my music now.  That being said, I don't recall it being as loud as the Model M, but that's probably a good thing.  This keyboard is also much heavier than it looks, and I'm satisfied that its build quality is quite good.

I'm not convinced that putting the USB ports on the top right side of the keyboard was the best idea, but it works well with my trackball's mini-receiver (now I'm really glad I bought the thumb trackball with the uber-small Logitech wireless receiver instead of the finger trackball with the large, old-school receiver!).  Even though it's USB 2.0, I'm not going to plug my WoW mouse into it.  It takes up enough room in and of itself.

Speaking of that, this keyboard is the perfect size.  It has a fairly standard layout and is exactly as large as it needs to be; no smaller, no larger.

Edit: On yet another unrelated note (I should invest in one of them thar blog things), I recently started using Mercurial for source control.

Wow.  Distributed source control is so so SO much better than CVS/SVN.  Holy shit.  I like being able to keep a local repository without having to dick around with a web server.  Or any server at all, for that matter.  It makes much more sense, is so much easier to use, and works exactly like you'd expect, with no surprises.

I think I know what I'm going to use for every single project that I do.  SVN was just so much of a pain in the dick to get rolling that I didn't even want to mess with it.  Just let me code, dammit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:25:40 AM by Spectere »

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 21, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
Got myself a stick blender.  Hells yeah.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1873 on: October 30, 2011, 04:53:19 PM »
Xbox 360 S: GET.

Now I actually have a large enough hard drive to install shit on. Amazing!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1874 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »
Ok, This made me so happy. Day[9], one of the most well known personalities in the Starcraft 2 community, decided that he would start playing Amnesia last night. He decided that after his usual Funday Monday SC2 show, he would stream him playing Amnesia, and what followed was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I highly suggest you guys watch this. Had over 17k viewers, and averages about 10k+ viewers every day. He makes his money doing his daily webcasts.

Part 1: http://blip.tv/file/5678993
Part 2: http://blip.tv/file/5679031
Part 3: http://blip.tv/file/5679067
Part 4: http://blip.tv/file/5679101
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x