Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 655034 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #1890 on: November 16, 2011, 03:26:24 AM »
Jesus man, always an upgrade in mind.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1891 on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »
Now to start saving up for my next system: a hex-core monster!

When I heard that they were coming out with Hex-core ships I wanted one so bad. Still do.

Fuck i love how technology keeps advancing.

Although I still want to get a bunch of FPGAs and make my own mini-supercomputer...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1892 on: November 16, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »
Another reason why having so much RAM is practical outside of spinning VMs: it lets me load pretty much any game (short of WoW, which is a damned monster) I want from a RAM drive.  I should be able to easily do that for games up to 14GB large or so.

Jesus man, always an upgrade in mind.

You bet!

One stopgap that I might wind up doing is getting a new GPU when the next series rolls out.  My card is starting to show its age just a tad nowadays.  I don't seriously plan to do a full upgrade for at a year, and I'll most likely wait until the next processor generation comes out before I bust out the bank card, because I don't want to get stuck at the end of a socket type (which just happened to me when Sandy Bridge came out; I'm running a LGA 1366 board, so I can't use the newer chips at all, nor can I put my chip in a next generation board).

Two things that need to happen first, though: a laptop purchase (I'm still using a 6-year-old Inspiron 9300 and that beast is finally starting to show its age) and a car purchase (my Saturn is 16-years-old and the automatic transmissions are notorious for acting stupid after a while...and mine has been getting progessively stupider over time).  After I take care of those, I'll start saving up for something big.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1893 on: November 23, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
Just bought an XBox360 MW3 Special edition!!! Finally, a fucking 360 and a MW game, FUCK YEAH!

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1894 on: November 24, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
I found a cheap keyboard and fixed two busted keys on it

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: November 24, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
Just bought an XBox360 MW3 Special edition!!! Finally, a fucking 360 and a MW game, FUCK YEAH!

huh, odd, I never struck you as a COD person. I have a friend who might know some useful info about it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1896 on: November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM »
huh, odd, I never struck you as a COD person. I have a friend who might know some useful info about it.

Well, normally I wouldn't be, but my friends all play it, and I've been sick of being the one guy who doesn't have the game. I'm still pretty garbage at the game, but playing online should help me improve.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1897 on: November 25, 2011, 08:59:08 PM »
I finally got off of my parent's cell phone plan and moved to my own.  I ended up going with AT&T for three reasons: (1) I've used them extensively before and within the last year the number of dropped calls went down to almost nil, (2) they're the only provider that actually has a selection of Windows Phones (everyone else has exactly one), and (3) I get a 13% discount on voice and data plans through my employer.

The phone that I selected is a Samsung Focus S.  The HTC Titan looked nice, but the screen is just too big (4.7"? I would literally be unable to use it for Internet radio in my car due to it being way oversized), the screen sucked compared to the Focus S and was barely an improvement over my HD7 (Super LCD vs. Super AMOLED -- the latter always wins), and after dealing with the issues from my last HTC phone I wasn't willing to go through the same experiences (camera never autofocused right and the images were crap, even compared to my old "dumb phone", chrome covering easily rubbed off of the screen bezel, and the metal around the camera lens got dinged up badly after two days and no abuse).  This phone is light as a feather, the capacitative buttons don't have as large of a touch zone, the screen is absurdly bright at the highest settings, and the camera is surprisingly good at picking up color.  It was able to capture the warmth of an incandescent bulb quite well -- something that my HD7's camera was unable to do.  There are also a few interesting settings provided by Samsung's camera driver, including wide dynamic range, which I have yet to properly test.

It also has a 1.4GHz Scorpion processor.  Now, Windows Phone's UI is buttery smooth even on my HD7's 1GHz Snapdragon (which is the minimum Snapdragon CPU required for a device to be certified), but bumping up the clock a few notches does make a noticeable difference in games, app loading times, and stuff like that.

So...yeah.  I are excite.  The only thing that I have left to do is apply my shiny developer unlock to it and all will be right with the world.

Edit: Somewhat relevant:

I wound up having to choose between Rhapsody and a Zune Pass.  Since I'm actually on a robust 3G network, I can actually stream music now without it cutting off every time I drive down a few major highways around here (seriously, T-Mobile has the weirdest 3G dead zones in my area).  While both of them do support downloading the content directly to the device, I think it would be nice to actually be able to select something on a whim and just play it.

Rhapsody is nice because it allows streaming to the PC, would allow me to download music to the iPod app, and has a native Windows Phone 7 app.  The problem is that I've been a Rhapsody customer in the past and I'm very familiar with their software -- it fucking SUCKS.  When the PC app isn't crashing, it very often will come up with a cryptic error and suddenly not allow you to use the artist/album browser (so it might as well be a crash).  Additionally, the iOS app crashed far more often that I would have cared for.  It didn't like my old iPhone 3G at all, and even my 4th gen iPod touch despised it.  The app was a complete mess.  I really doubt that the Windows Phone app would be any better, but even if it were flawless I would kinda like to listen at home, too.  The interface for the app was usable, but could have used a ton of improvement.  Furthermore, it was very sluggish, even on high-end hardware (Core i7 2.8GHz).  Like iTunes on Windows, but worse.

I had a 15-day trial for the Zune Pass.  Naturally, it integrates well with Windows Phone 7.  And, just as obviously, it has zero iOS integration and there is no app available for it.  It has the advantage of blending seemlessly in with any local music that you would put onto the device, but the problem with that is that my phone only has 16GB of storage.  I currently have more than 16GB of music stored on my iPod, not to mention gigabytes of apps (speaking of which, I had around 4GB of apps on my HD7, so loading a ton of music on that thing was definitely out).  I also greatly prefer the iPod interface over the Zune-inspired one.  I could probably get used to the latter and just use my iPod as a gaming device, but the storage limitation throw that idea off the docks.

Technical issues aside, the Zune Pass is great on the software end.  As I said, the Zune ecosystem is integrated into the phone and works quite well.  The PC software is slick, fast, and very responsive, and makes for a decent media player (though giving up fb2k was, and will be, tough).  Furthermore, it seems to have just as good of a selection as Rhapsody without the downsides.  Unfortunately, you cannot download 10 free songs per month anymore.  I would have happily paid the extra five bucks to be able to do that, but I decided to subscribe too late.  Sadface.

Overall, the price is the same $10/month, so we'll see.  I'm sure Zune will work out just fine for what I need, but I'm sure I'll make a whiny post here if it doesn't.

Edit 2: Hoo boy, found a major gripe with the Zune software -- tagging songs.  Granted, this is a task that most media players fail at (and something that iTunes is somewhat decent at), but this is just bad.  You can't arrow down if you only want to change the song title.  You have to tab, tab, tab, tab, tab, change one, tab, tab, tab, tab, tab, change another, and so on.  Ugh!  Thankfully, despite the DRM on these files, I can actually jump into MP3Tag and change them in there!  Oh, thank goodness.

One more thing that's awesome: you can freely change the tags on the files that you download.  With Rhapsody, it would keep changing them back to the hideously broken tags that Rhapsody assigned to some files.  I was able to change tags on the WMAs that I downloaded through Zune (mostly to remove the unnecessary "(parental advisary)" tag that was thrown on some tracks -- one thing that Apple does infinitely better (by making that its own tag with its own appearance in the iPod/iTunes software)) and have them actually persist both on the phone and on the PC.  Ahh, it's nice when things just work.  Now if only I didn't have to rely on a third-party program to handle my tagging.  Oh well...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:05:33 AM by Spectere »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: November 26, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »
Well, normally I wouldn't be, but my friends all play it, and I've been sick of being the one guy who doesn't have the game. I'm still pretty garbage at the game, but playing online should help me improve.

Map memorization goes a very long way in those games. Find out what will be arguably best weapons, figure out which perks benefit specific play styles, and then memorize the majority of the choke points and typically where people will migrate when looking for people to kill. I sort of worded that terribly, but once you play for a while you'll notice different parts of maps will have more people running towards them because they're generally safer.

Also on topic, I had an awesome night last night and I got to hang out with a lot of people I typically don't get to see too often.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1899 on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »
MOAR HAPPY.

I did some Zune'ing from my car today and...holy fuck.  The audio output quality on the Windows Phone blows the iPod out of the water.  One of the common praises that reviewers throw at the Zune players is their fantastic audio quality, and I have a feeling that Microsoft made sure that the same standard was enforced for the WP7 handsets.  Even at high volumes, the midrange (particularly the guitar and vocals) sounded bright and crisp, compared to the muddy sound that the iPod outputs.  It felt like I could literally hear everything with no compromises.  The bass is a bit lighter as well, likely a bit more true to the mastered sound and far more EQ-friendly than the iPod output (FYI, my iPod's EQ is off, but it's definitely doing some post-processing to the audio at some point, as it doesn't sound like it does on any other device).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1900 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Map memorization goes a very long way in those games. Find out what will be arguably best weapons, figure out which perks benefit specific play styles, and then memorize the majority of the choke points and typically where people will migrate when looking for people to kill. I sort of worded that terribly, but once you play for a while you'll notice different parts of maps will have more people running towards them because they're generally safer.

Also on topic, I had an awesome night last night and I got to hang out with a lot of people I typically don't get to see too often.

Yeah, I'm well aware of how much map awareness counts for. I've been playing Since MW2 came out, just not very much since I've never owned a copy myself.

I do need to find which guns people prefer and such, and I do definitely need to learn the safe/unsafe locations in lots of the maps. Its so fucking annoying to turn a corner, and just die, or to turn a corner, run a bit farther, and get gunned down from behind, or any other permutation thereof...

Also, lag seems to really cause problems for me T.T I've put entire clips into people only to die from a single shotgun blast after I'm done and reloading, and shit like that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Shit, assuming you're playing TDM there really isn't much you can do outside of trying to predict enemy spawns. Honestly, there's a lot of luck in TDM games. Also with xbox live match lag can be a real gamble. Some shit you just can't counter.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1902 on: November 29, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm playing TDM, and yeah, lag can just be instadead. I'm fine with that once in a while, but it feels bad when I go something like 4 and 1 in a match where I could have gone 8 and 4 instead if lag hadn't been the cause of 4 of those deaths...

I've had some better games recently, but even then a good game for me is where my KDR looks about even.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 29, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
practice makes perfect. You should see my SFAE win loss ratio. I think it's slightly below 30% for ranked matches.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1904 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
As part of a job for my employer, I've been trying to use an OPC server to communicate using a custom protocol plugin with a Burster Digiforce 9310 so we could grab the pressure measurement from the unit and send it to a Mitsubishi PLC... The protocol the Burster unit uses is actually a known protocol (ANSI x3.28), but the OPC server didn't have a built in communication driver for that protocol, so I had to roll my own... Well, before I tried that, I actually ended up coding up a neat little program on my laptop to communicate with the Burster in C# (which actually worked, for the limited use I needed it). That made me happy, but what made me infinitely more happy is that later on in the day we got a call telling us that the customer no longer needed this setup.

Why am I so happy that a few days' worth of work was just made useless? Because about all I had to do to make things work now was connect the Burster, PLC, Touch Panel, and a computer to an Ethernet switch, and configure everything to communicate on the same network, so the computer could see the PLC, HMI, and Burster, to program the PLC/HMI from Ethernet, and to be able to run the Burster's program to track the pressure measurements.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x