Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 249334 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »
Haha, yeah, after playing a pally, charge is god.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:03 PM »
FIRST

"We wanted to give everyone a very early heads-up that, in response to player requests, we

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »
I can see the functionality.. I personally don't think I'll use it AND it will cost either real money or a lot of gold, seeing as simple character transfers realm to realm cost money. At least they're doing something productive, right?
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Kulli

« Reply #468 on: July 19, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
LOLBUMP

If you have PayPal/aren't broke as shit, I have 2 game cards for sale. $20 for each ($10 less than from a store!) (in USD, of course)

If you want me to send it physically, it'll cost more for postage. If you trust me to scratch off the card and tell you online, even better.

Just contact me somehow (through PM, AIM, whatev) and we'll work it out. I'm planning on quitting after my card runs out next month, and I can't return it to the store for cash for multiple reasons (lost receipt, and I payed in game store credit, not actual cash.)

Would love to have your money your business, PST contact me!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #469 on: July 20, 2009, 12:41:49 AM »
Lol, my GF is planning on quitting the real servers as well, when her card dies. Plus, her and I are dead broke. If I had the spare money, I'd likely have been willing :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #470 on: July 24, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »
Woo, where shall I begin?

Got my death knight up to lv.80.  Yay!

600g away from the super-dee-duper flying skill.  w00t

Blew 2000g on weapons and armor to make myself somewhat ready for endgame content (complete Savage Saronite Set + Titansteel Destroyer).  That combination is serving me quite well right now.

Joined an awesome guild.

Murdered about a dozen Alliance punks. >:D

Realized that Stratholme is a Runecloth goldmine.  Ran it several times.

TOOK BACK THE FREAKING UNDERCITY LAST NIGHT.  Epic quest.

Participated in a failed city raid, which was totally spoiled due to the fucking evade glitch.  You win this time, Ironforge!

Started a bunch more toons; currently have one character of each class on Stormrage.

Claimed my Swift Zhevra.  <3 the refer a friend feature.

Explored the entire world on my DK.  Running through Darnassus was fuuuuun...especially when I forgot where in the hell I was going half-way through.  Luckily, I managed to survive the experience.

Oh, and lastly: tried setting up a private server.  Holy fucking bugs, Batman!  I'll just stick with Blizz's servers, kthxbai.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #471 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »
Haha, what private server emulator did you try? and what database? I don't know that much, though I have set a test realm up. and yes, there are lots of bugs.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #472 on: July 24, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »
I used Ascent Hearthstone with RivalDB.  Before that I used a repack that someone put together.  The one that I put together myself worked better than the repack, but both were basically unplayable.  I was gobsmacked to see major class abilities bugging out.  You'd think that after WoW has been out all this time that the private servers and databases would at least give hunters the feed pet ability properly.

That was pretty much what caused me to just delete it and write that particular weekend off.  I was going to use it as a staging area to test out builds, item combinations, and things like that, but it's far too unreliable to do anything like that.

The most hilarious thing were the way the Thunder Bluff lifts worked.  One of them worked mostly okay but the other one started at the top platform and zoomed up to the sky.  It was certainly interesting!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #473 on: July 24, 2009, 02:08:32 PM »
Yeah, well, by what I've seen, Hearthstone Ascent's lifts are particularly bad. I never used RivalDB, though I kinda forget what I was using. The emulator you chose really effects what bugs there are though.

There are some good private servers out there. But running a private server is a lot of work. There always seems to be something broken. Mind you, some of them are pretty good at fixing things.

And I bet part of the problem with the emulators is that because WoW is constantly changing, the emulators themselves need to constantly change, to deal with all of the changes between each release on the official servers. Stuff like the Phasing system, changes in how data is transmitted to the server (which pretty much never gets mentioned in changelogs) and other back end changes can introduce tons of bugs into talents, and such. Though there are some things that there is no excuse for. For example: Most outland uncommons are supposed to have 2 or 3 random enchantments. However, on most, if not all private servers, one of those is always missing, so they still only have 1 or 2 enchants.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #474 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:50 PM »
I heard there's some WoW movie in production with Sam Raimi as director

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #475 on: July 24, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »
Yeah, well, by what I've seen, Hearthstone Ascent's lifts are particularly bad. I never used RivalDB, though I kinda forget what I was using. The emulator you chose really effects what bugs there are though.

Yeah...

It seemed to me like Arc-Emu was the most mature of the bunch, but I wasn't willing to downgrade to 3.0.9 to use it.

And I bet part of the problem with the emulators is that because WoW is constantly changing, the emulators themselves need to constantly change, to deal with all of the changes between each release on the official servers.

Oh yeah, no doubt.  I think that's the number one thing that's making Blizzard's model a success -- there's always something new to do in WoW.  Literally, always.  If you aren't in the midst of a world event you're probably going to be exploring new patch features.

Like you said, though, there are a lot of things that there simply aren't good excuses for.  Honestly, I think that missing core class abilities that have been in the game for years upon years is far worse of an offense than leaving off an enchant or two in drops.  When the bare essentials of the game aren't playable without cheats, there's a problem.

I think most of the problem is the strife in the private server development community.  Rather than bonding together and making one kickass project you get what happened with IRC servers and service bots -- there are a bunch of them and they're all incompatible with one another.  Even though most of them are based on Ascent they each have their own quirks and various differences that even limit database compatibility.  It's nothing but a disjointed mess.

I heard there's some WoW movie in production with Sam Raimi as director

Yeah, I heard about that, too.  Given that it's a video game based movie my level of skepticism is high, but we'll see.  I'd definitely love to get a glimpse on some more Warcraft-related lore.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #476 on: July 25, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »
Sam Raimi

Oh god, no! He should stick to stuff like Army of Darkness :/ Seriously. I guess he can't be as bad as Uwe Boll, but seriously. Lmao, I just read that Uwe made a bit at the WoW movie, but was turned away by Blizzard, lmao.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #477 on: July 26, 2009, 02:48:12 AM »
Epic flyer GET.  Finally.

Managed to make about 1000g today.  I was pleased.

And, finally, snagged the Icecrown questing achievement.

I also maxed out my skinning and now have four weapon skills up to 400.  My mining is now up to ~410...only 40 points to go.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #478 on: July 26, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
Nice. Makes me want to play WoW on the real servers :/ However, I've found a new server, which has around 3k to 4k players online at once. The rates are a bit high for my liking, but I'm a lot more willing to play on it because it's a custom server built by an in house development team, the GMs are quite active (and there are a number of them) and it seems quite stable. Plus, they just upgraded their server bandwidth, storage etc. to accommodate more players. I'm quite impressed with them.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Skorpion9x

• Om nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 29, 2009, 01:31:41 AM »
Tonight, my 10 man raid did hard mode Iron Council using only one tank (myself) :).