Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 249895 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: World of Warcraft
« Reply #600 on: July 27, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
Pssh, priests are generally subpar tank and raid healers in PvE in terms of raw output (though I do tend to rock the Recount on the Blood Queen fight in ICC because CoH and PoH are used to their full potential every time despite the long cast times).  About the only thing that keeps us afloat is our ridiculous raid utility.

As for PvP, priests (disc priests, at least, since that's the spec I use almost exclusively for PvP) are way to squishy, our DoTs aren't that great, and about the only thing we have is the ability to stay in the fight and, more importantly, keeping others in the fight.

Shadow priests definitely have better DoTs (though I'm definitely not convinced that they're as good as a warlock's), but the heals suffer quite a bit.  Also, bear in mind that we have to leave shadowform to cast most holy spells, so we lose at least two GCDs when switching back and forth.  Finally, keep in mind that DoTs in general can be dispelled if your healers don't fail.  I've found that dispelling DoTs and DK diseases (especially DK diseases, since each one increases the damage that scourge strike and obliterate do, not to mention the frost talent that causes frost fever to cut the target's speed in half) helps in WG and BGs as much as throwing a shield on the target, sometimes more so.

And how in the hell did you find out about the little boys?  Argh.

Speaking of PvP, you know what's as fun as watching two holy pallies duel?  Watching a disc priest duel a holy pally.  This pally and I were literally going back and forth for over a half hour before Wintergrasp and, no matter how hard we tried, neither of us would run out of mana.  It was...kind of boring, actually.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #601 on: July 28, 2010, 02:17:40 AM »
That reminds me of the low level pally duel I had once (one of the only duels I've actually done). It was retarded. We could both heal ourselves basically back to full, and neither of us could do enough damage to bring the other down in the time it took to recover from casting the heal. It was boring as shit, and we both decided to just call it quits about 5 mins in.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #602 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:36 AM »
Heh, I'm not sure which one of us would have given up first.  Like I said, we were waiting for Wintergrasp so, well, we didn't have much else to do.

I would imagine that the lower-leveled healer duels could potentially end due to mana issues, but when it comes to endgame it can literally go on forever.  The pally was cocky at the beginning about being able to outlast me.  All in all, the battle basically consisted of the pally throwing Judgement of Wisdom on me, stunning me (if Hammer of Justice was off CD), me dispelling the seal and burning the pally's mana, then fearing the pally and trying to DPS them down.  If my mana was running low, I would fear and pop any mana restoring CDs that I had (Hymn of Hope, Shadowfiend, etc, and let my already-ridiculous discipline regen take affect).

They did make a few attempts to hurt me, but disc shields are a bit too much for a holy pally's attacks.  Literally, the only way that pally would have beaten me was to run me out of mana, and vice versa, but it simply wasn't ever going to happen unless one of us royally screwed up.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #603 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:28 AM »
Well at the level we were, healing used up most of our mana, but neither of us had enough DPS to take the other down far enough that a single heal wouldn't bring us back up, this was like, level 5, or something.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #604 on: July 28, 2010, 03:37:33 AM »
priest stuff

you know shadow priests are OP as shit, right? hasted DoTs are the most retarded thing ever.

disc with resil is far from squishy, as well, unless you're fighting an ArP stacking warrior/hunter

how much PvP do you do, exactly?

EDIT: in fact, I'd drop Disc PvP and just stick with Shadow. Disc is overly complicated (offensive healer lolwut) and gets smashed by mouth-breathing warriors, while shadow is about as hard as pressing 3 buttons and afking
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:43:42 AM by v33mon »

Kulli

« Reply #605 on: July 28, 2010, 08:49:39 AM »
on an unrelated note:

That was the tank. I was doing 12k on trash and about 6-7k on bosses. We did like 2 or 3 more heroics together :D

dsam070789

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 28, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »
What a suck-up. ROFL
God said to John, "Come forth and receive eternal life", but John came fifth and received a toaster instead.

Kulli

« Reply #607 on: July 28, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to give context.

He was amazed by my high DPS despite my GS (he said it was about 5.1k; I don't run that shit addon), and that basically he had never seen a pally do that much dps in a 5-man before

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #608 on: July 28, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
you know shadow priests are OP as shit, right? hasted DoTs are the most retarded thing ever.

Please.  You could talk to different people and every single one of them would bitch about XXX class being OP due to YYY.

disc with resil is far from squishy, as well, unless you're fighting an ArP stacking warrior/hunter

So, disc isn't squishy unless you fight against the classes that are the biggest threat to a disc priest?

Pretty much the only things that I can't easily escape from are hunters and warriors.  I don't think I've ever been killed by anything else unless I wound up stunned.  I consider that pretty significant, considering the first time I went into WG I had 0 resil and pretty much relied on escaping encounters and hiding behind the cows.

how much PvP do you do, exactly?

Some.

I'm more of a PvE'er, but BGs and WG are fun to queue in every once in a while.

EDIT: in fact, I'd drop Disc PvP and just stick with Shadow. Disc is overly complicated (offensive healer lolwut) and gets smashed by mouth-breathing warriors, while shadow is about as hard as pressing 3 buttons and afking

Screw that.  Shadow is boring as hell.

Besides, considering how many fights I've helped save by healing and shielding people like crazy, I'm not going to change to an offensive spec.  I don't care how many people I kill, I care more about ultimately winning the objective.

Kulli

« Reply #609 on: July 28, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
Please.  You could talk to different people and every single one of them would bitch about XXX class being OP due to YYY.

Talk to any melee who does arena and they will agree with me

Hell; even someone who just does BGs probably will, too, if they actually know what's killing them

So, disc isn't squishy unless you fight against the classes that are the biggest threat to a disc priest?

Pretty much the only things that I can't easily escape from are hunters and warriors.  I don't think I've ever been killed by anything else unless I wound up stunned.  I consider that pretty significant, considering the first time I went into WG I had 0 resil and pretty much relied on escaping encounters and hiding behind the cows.

I can sit on a disc priest in full furious and never kill him. A lot of other melee are the same way (hint: most of them don't have MS). No resil (or close to no resil) is basically the only way I stand a chance. Casters aren't included in this, because this is World of Castercraft and they kill everyone (GL INTERRUPTING ANYTHING)

Also, you just showed you fought a bunch of baddies because they didn't focus the 0-resil healer.

Some.

I'm more of a PvE'er, but BGs and WG are fun to queue in every once in a while.

How much resil do you go in with?

Screw that.  Shadow is boring as hell.

while shadow is about as hard as pressing 3 buttons and afking

Besides, considering how many fights I've helped save by healing and shielding people like crazy, I'm not going to change to an offensive spec.  I don't care how many people I kill, I care more about ultimately winning the objective.

I was talking about arena, but yeah in BGs that's perfectly fine (in arena you're expected to mana burn and dispel the other team, while keeping your partner up)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #610 on: July 29, 2010, 03:52:46 AM »
Talk to any melee who does arena and they will agree with me

Hell; even someone who just does BGs probably will, too, if they actually know what's killing them

Arena is kind of a different story, though.  There's a lot less class diffusion than there are with the larger groups of AV and the like.  Not to mention that you'd really have to depend on your partner to either heal/dispel you or burn the bastard that's trying to DoT you to death.

I've been thinking about getting a 2v2 arena team set up with my cousin after I get a decent set of PvP gear (T9 for the main bits and whatever else I can scrounge together) together.  Do you think an arms warrior and a disc priest would make a decent pair?

I can sit on a disc priest in full furious and never kill him. A lot of other melee are the same way (hint: most of them don't have MS). No resil (or close to no resil) is basically the only way I stand a chance. Casters aren't included in this, because this is World of Castercraft and they kill everyone (GL INTERRUPTING ANYTHING)

Eh, it just seems kind of touch and go after they break through the shields and crap.  Generally, I run into issues with melee gradually wearing me down in duels.  Then again, that could be just due to gearing.  I'm pretty good at keeping people away from me, at any rate, though I do find myself missing Body and Soul when I'm in disc spec.

Also, you just showed you fought a bunch of baddies because they didn't focus the 0-resil healer.

Well, this is Andorhal Alliance we're talking about.  I don't even think they know how to do WG.

Also, keep in mind that they'd pretty much have to break through the pallies and warriors to even get to me.  Typically, someone would have to bring me down in two hits.  If they can't do it that quickly, it's inevitable that they're going to get rushed by a warrior, stunned by a pally, or DG'ed by a DK.  The only time I ever die in massive battles is when we are royally outnumbered and the "tanks" get gang-raped.

How much resil do you go in with?

Not. Enough.

I didn't start doing any serious PvP with my priest until I hit 80, so I've been playing catch-up.  Right now I'm sitting at right around 500.  Definitely, definitely not enough.  That's why I'm only doing things like WG with him.  He can put out some serious heals, but I can't leave him too exposed.

I mainly do BGs with my PvP DK.  I'm kind of afraid of what the lv.60-70 bracket is going to be like seeing as there is precisely zero PvP gear for DKs.  It's going to be like going from stupidly OP (DKs even start with a PvP trinket, FFS) to plz omg don't kill me.  I think the only thing I can do is stack def on top of the heirlooms...roll in with tank gear and hope for the best.

On another note, it's kind of fun being a frost DK in BGs.  Most people seem to pick unholy for the raw damage output, but I usually prefer to pair up with a friendly rogue, hit the enemy with Icy Touch (spiked with an annoying dose of Icy Clutch and letting the rogue burst them to death.  It feels like the perfect defensive and "annoy the piss out of your enemies for fun and profit" build.

I was talking about arena, but yeah in BGs that's perfectly fine (in arena you're expected to mana burn and dispel the other team, while keeping your partner up)

Makes sense, yeah.  You'd have to be as offensive as you are defensive, especially in the smaller groups.

Kulli

« Reply #611 on: July 29, 2010, 06:31:38 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a 2v2 arena team set up with my cousin after I get a decent set of PvP gear (T9 for the main bits and whatever else I can scrounge together) together.  Do you think an arms warrior and a disc priest would make a decent pair?

You mean S6/Furious? Because I don't recommend going into arena as a healer with T9 on (the warrior can have 2pc T9 for the bonus)

I think it would be alright, but usually disc goes with a rogue and a warrior goes with an hpal

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #612 on: July 29, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »
You mean S6/Furious? Because I don't recommend going into arena as a healer with T9 on (the warrior can have 2pc T9 for the bonus)

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Sorry, I have a terrible habit of (erroneously) calling the items that can potentially come from the triumph emblem vendor T9/T9.5.

I think it would be alright, but usually disc goes with a rogue and a warrior goes with an hpal

Yeah, but he doesn't have a rogue and I don't have a holy pally. :p

Kulli

« Reply #613 on: July 29, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
Also, if you don't get any more resil before you start doing arena, you'd better hope your cousin is a master of peeling dps off of you. Double DPS probably have wet dreams about people with your level of resil; I'm planning on running ret/rogue with my friend after he gets some more gear, and I know I do :O

I recommend full PvP gear, except weps and a trinket ofc

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #614 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »
Oh gawd no, I'm not going into arena without a full set of PvP gear.  I'm a fan of living, thank you.

I'm probably going to start doing BGs after I get the full S6 set (which looks fuckin' pimp, if I do say so myself) and a trinket so that I can build up some more honor.  I'm definitely glad that Blizz made the S6 set obtainable using triumph emblems or honor.  I like being able to save for two different things.