Author Topic: Weeaboo, the thread.  (Read 131579 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Weeaboo, the thread.
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »
I don't think I can watch Canaan, because it's fucking confusing. Like I understood the first episode fine then the second one came along and I had no fucking clue what was happening. I'll try and stick with it for a few more episodes. Also Dennu Coil seems interesting.

Oh yeah, and how's Gungrave :3
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:29:30 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
Somebody else is running anime club, but I have 1) the room we'll do it in, 2) the computer we'll use to watch it, and 3) probably most of the anime we'll watch

Also, I just finished downloading Fushigi Yuugi. :3

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »
I've been meaning to watch that one.

Right now I'm in the middle of Texhnolyze (fucking awesome) and Welcome to the NHK, re-watching Simoun (quite possibly the only yuri show that has a proper explanation for why it is yuri), testing a bunch of others, like Minami-ke, Today in class 5-2, downloading and possibly re-watching Hitohira (yet another school/slice of life/comedy show... still damn funny, and fun).

I'm thinking of checking out Xam'd, Kurenai, Chaos; Head, Kurozuka, Koi Kaze, Kaiba, Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, Otogi Zoshi, Noir, Planetes, and god knows what else.... (list here more to remind myself, than anything)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:55 PM »
Xam'd should be number one priority, followed by Planetes. Then probably Kurozuka I guess.

K-Mann

« Reply #259 on: September 03, 2009, 11:43:53 PM »
Xam'd is very good. Start with it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #260 on: September 03, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the input, With a list like that, it'd take me a while to weed out the ones I'm not willing to finish/too lazy to finish from the ones that are worth it.

From what little bit I've seen in AMVs and such it does look awesome, and Planetes has more or less been on my list since I saw it air on some streaming video thing from winamp, years ago. I just always have something else to watch, and forget.

Man, I wish I knew if my college even had an anime club. Somehow, I doubt it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2009, 12:59:37 AM »
Xam'd sounds somewhat interesting, suppose I'll check it out too. Also Dennou Coil is probablyt the closest thing I'll ever come to watching a "little girl anime".

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2009, 01:18:11 AM »
Xam'd sounds somewhat interesting, suppose I'll check it out too. Also Dennou Coil is probablyt the closest thing I'll ever come to watching a "little girl anime".

Lol, I really enjoyed Dennou Coil. Sure, it was a bit juvenile, but sometimes we just need something that isn't overly intense the whole time. I thought that being what it was (the ending gets pretty interesting), I was actually more impressed by it being targeted to a younger audience.

I wish american kids had shows that bordered on the mindfuck genre like that, lol. Sure, it's not crazy enough to really be a mindfuck, but it does get pretty intense later on.

That being said, I guess the majority of shows I enjoy aren't far off from "little girl anime"..... Mind you, Shugo Chara and stuff like that makes me utterly sick to know that the majority of western people think of that or Beyblade when the term anime cames up, rather than something like Simoun, or Darker than Black, or say, Elfen Lied.

Huh. After watching anime with no subtitles for 30 minutes, I forgot they were speaking Japanese.

I envy that ability. After watching the K-on special (basically recaps their live appearances, and plays the "music videos" for their music and pretty much wastes 25 minutes) I was only able to understand most of it because I'd already watched the same thing not long ago. (My japanese vocabulary is appallingly small right now).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:23:52 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »
I envy that ability. After watching the K-on special (basically recaps their live appearances, and plays the "music videos" for their music and pretty much wastes 25 minutes) I was only able to understand most of it because I'd already watched the same thing not long ago. (My japanese vocabulary is appallingly small right now).

I was watching K-on as well. I figured I'd get along alright since the show is pretty simple. I don't know much vocabulary, but I'm picking up the grammar.

I also tried watching Code Geass without the subs, but that didn't work out too well.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #264 on: September 04, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
Haha, Code Geass would definitely not be a beginners, with some of the terminology they use. K-on shouldn't be that hard, but even so, I really have a VERY limited vocabulary. I was able to understand probably about 60% of the actual dialog (at best) by ear, and the rest was just from having seen all those scenes again (as it was the recap special that just showed them playing live, and the little bit of talking around them).

I probably should watch more raws, because I find that I really don't pay too much attention to what they're really saying a lot of the time in the subbed episodes. I pick out the odd word and look it up in JWPce (No need to switch things around with the IME, built in dictionary, etc. etc.), but I really don't pay nearly as much attention as I would watching RAWs.

The biggest things I need to work on right now, before I get much better at japanese are particles, and verb endings. (http://www.as.ua.edu/nihongo/verb_table_roomaji.htm is a DAMN useful page)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:30:29 PM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
I wanted to download けいおん! blu-ray rips, but man, they big (probably ~8.5 GB for the whole season), and I have about 5 GB of disk space free.

I try turning the subtitles off on some animus, and can sometimes understand stuff, as long as the conversation is nice and simple.  I find it much easier to comprehend 日本語 when I'm playing a video game, except it's pretty annoying when I have to look up a 感じ by hand (I only play console games, because I'm hardcore).

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2009, 03:42:12 PM »
except it's pretty annoying when I have to look up a 感じ by hand

Fairly certain you mean 漢字.

EDIT: So I finished Kamen no Maid Guy. That series is completely crazy. I love it. Now I'm finishing up Eden of the East.

EDIT2: lol, there was a Star Trek preview in the middle of one of my Eden of the East episodes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:37:10 PM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »
I've reached the end of my first full week as Queen of the Weeaboo, which concluded with our club's first official meeting of the term.

As of our first day, we have 25 members.  Considering most clubs are lucky to have around ten by midterm, I'm fairly excited.

actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »
I just watched the first episode of Fushigi Yuugi, and just, wow

20:16:06 <@Lachesis> Miaka gets cornered by a group of thugs in ancient china, intimidates them with her vaccination scars, says "Tsuki ni kawatte oshioki yo!" and starts attacking them with wrestling moves she saw on TV

I don't know why I didn't like this show when I first saw it.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »
Finished Eden of the East. It was pretty damn good. At the end of the last episode's credits, it said that a movie was confirmed for late November, so I'll be looking into that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:00:18 PM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)