Author Topic: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond  (Read 113384 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2009, 02:05:47 PM »
The last time I read about Huxley, it was that it probably wasn't going to come out or that it had some massive development problems.

APB gets plenty of press though. I've seen quite a few articles on it.

I cannot WAIT for Street Fighter 4 and Star Ocean 4. I'm getting one of the FightPads since I'll have it on 360 and it's totally like the Saturn Pad aka Greatest Fighting Pad Ever. It's USB too so I can use it with MAME and everything else. Super awesome. Star Ocean 4 just looks amazing. I think the super vivid colors really help the game stand out. And it's more sci-fi than any of the other entries.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
Mu Online

Haha, I used to play that.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2009, 12:43:19 AM »
I cannot WAIT for Street Fighter 4 and Star Ocean 4. I'm getting one of the FightPads since I'll have it on 360 and it's totally like the Saturn Pad aka Greatest Fighting Pad Ever. It's USB too so I can use it with MAME and everything else. Super awesome.

I drooled. I'm just recently getting back into 2D fighters with Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (gotten to the point were I can easily get off overdrive attacks and some combos) and I've been loving it. Thing is none of my friends play fighters and playing a fighter online usually results in lag deciding the outcome of the match.

Oh yeah, and this :

Golden eye source, hopefully it will turn out good.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:56:39 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »

Nekros

• View Profile

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »
Indeed. Also I keep hearing promising things about Kill zone 2 and the multiplayer looks rather interesting. Class based warfare with a METRIC fuckton of players online.

Also this game looks rather interesting:

Then again, I suppose I still need to check out Wario's game and what not (graphics somewhat remind me about this).

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2009, 12:26:58 AM »
People really need to look at Wii games more. Seriously. There's no reason something like Muramasa should be as little known as it is.

Find Deadly Creatures, Muramasa, Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Mad World, The Conduit, Tenchu, de Blob, House of the Dead: Overkill, Wario Land: Shake It (so good), Marble Saga: Kororinpa, Rune Factory: Frontier, Major Minor's Majestic March, Klonoa, Little King's Story, Boom Blox 2, and Let's Tap. The Wii's got a loooooot going this year. Like whoa.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »
The Wii's got a loooooot going this year. Like whoa.

If that's the case, I might actually start using mine again.  Woo! ;D

Really, though, it is hard to ignore all of the shovelware that came out for it.  It's certainly not a Wii-exclusive problem, but the Wii being uber-popular definitely made it a more serious issue on that platform.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
Yeah. I mean, even if the Wii weren't all that popular, I'd bet you'd see a lot of the same cheap games just because development costs are only a quarter for the Wii over the 360/PS3.

I didn't even list the new games Nintendo has coming this year (Sin & Punishment 2, Punch-Out!!, Pikmin 3, whatever else they announce) or WiiWare stuff like Pole's Big Adventure (oh god one of the powerups gives you a boner) or Bubble Bobble Wii (which is supposed to have 400 stages, be 4 player and have the entire original game in it) or the stuff that came out last year like the Art Style games or World of Goo. There were quite a few hidden gems that people rarely seem to talk about from 2008 too. A lot of people like to complain that the Wii has no games but almost none of those people have actually put any effort in trying anything for themselves or attempted to find anything outside of what reviews have told them to look for.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
It's not that the Wii lacks games (it really did go through a rather long dry spot, but De Blob and Wario came out right in the middle of it, which reminds me to at least rent these along with FE) it's just that a lot of the AAA (whatever you want to call them) type games that get released exclusively or multiplat between the 360 and the PS3 never see anything on the Wii (Cod4, Dead space at first, Mirror's Edge, Fear, Gears of war, MGS4, Soul Caliber 4, Street fighter 4, etc) and of course their are a ton of fanboys that just hate the Wii for some odd reason.

Then again, I never understood the fanboy logic, MGS4 looks awesome to me and I still don't have any plans to own a PS3.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
Yeah. I mean, even if the Wii weren't all that popular, I'd bet you'd see a lot of the same cheap games just because development costs are only a quarter for the Wii over the 360/PS3.

Definitely.

Another problem is that developers seem to have this need to use every single feature imaginable, whether it's appropriate or not.  The iPhone and iPod Touch has the same issue.  The development costs are extremely low, even lower than the Wii (literally, all you need is hardware, a system that can run Mac OS X, some C/C++ knowledge, and a little bit of money for the annual fee) and the hardware has many of the same gimmicks.  I was trying out a platformer earlier that basically had me rotating the phone over and over again to navigate through the level.  It's a good thing I wasn't out in public when I started playing, I would have looked like a complete moron.

It's not that the Wii lacks games (it really did go through a rather long dry spot, but De Blob and Wario came out right in the middle of it, which reminds me to at least rent these along with FE) it's just that a lot of the AAA (whatever you want to call them) type games that get released exclusively or multiplat between the 360 and the PS3 never see anything on the Wii (Cod4, Dead space at first, Mirror's Edge, Fear, Gears of war, MGS4, Soul Caliber 4, Street fighter 4, etc) and of course their are a ton of fanboys that just hate the Wii for some odd reason.

Another problem is the Wii's hardware.  It's simply not as capable of a system as the PS3 or 360.  Rather than scaling things back appropriately, developers seem to either go overboard (i.e. cutting out core functionality) or they don't do enough (the game's framerate is uneven).  In that sense it's sort of like the PS3.  Many people got a bad impression of the PS3 due to the sheer number of rushed 360 ports.

The tight storage limits on the Wii also negatively impact games like Rock Band.  I haven't spent all that much money on Rock Band DLC and I could have already filled up the Wii's internal memory and an SD card with songs.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2009, 07:06:12 PM »

Onslaught came out recently, looks pretty good for a 10 dollar game, plus it has 4 player online co op.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2009, 02:15:32 AM »
&feature=related

In case you haven't noticed, a new fighter made by the people that did GG is coming out called BlazBlue. Looks impressive, also the characters look really diverse.

An actual match, and yeah it looks good. I wish SF4 took this direction with the graphics.

Oh yeah, and I'm somewhat bummed at what the did to RE5. From what I've seen it has a cover system, a health system where when you get near death you can crawl and you have to have a teammate revive you and a fucking ZOMBIES with GUNS. So it pretty much is Gears.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:55:41 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
Triple post for the most confusing and awesome game mechanic I've seen.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/03/27/epochal-achron-meta-time-strategy/

The multiplayer in this game is going to be crazy.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »
I think my head exploded.

That looks absolutely amazing.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x