Author Topic: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond  (Read 113038 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2009, 09:41:01 PM »
I don't really think Suda would get along with any other developer very well. Especially Bioware and especially for a western-style RPG. He's gone on record for saying that he dislikes open-world style games of most types.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
Haha, that trailer is pure genius.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
That would be fairly fucking awesome. Also I hope he cleans up NMH2, considering how many problems the first game had.

He's gone on record for saying that he dislikes open-world style games of most types.

that explains why the open world parts of NMH were so goofy.

Also Oboro Muramasa looks fairly fucking awesome. It's times like this where I wish I had employment.

vladgd

« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2009, 05:01:51 AM »
for the record, i am NOT into racing games.  i like my "arcadey" stuff like you know, the kart stuff, star wars ep 1 podracer, f-zero, that stuff.  but like "simmy" racers, nah.  really the only "sim" racer ive played was sega gt because i mean, it was free.  my xbox came with the "JSRF/SEGAGT" in one disc thing.

i mean, it was ok, but i don't know.  then i tried the demo for forza 2, GOD DAMN WAY TO TELL ME I SUCK AT RACAN GAMES, GAME.  it basically kicked my ass and spat on my corpse, not sure if the full game is a bit more forgiving but i don't know. 

but ive just been in this mood of "man i REALLY want to get into "insert game here"" (IM LOOKING AT YOU EVE) and well, sim racers (namly forza) fall under this.

all of this is because of...

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-need-for-speed-shift/17-1351/

need for speed shift, looks fun...but for some reason that got my excited to try out forza 3.

yeah, spectere, im going to need some input since i know you make sweet lovins to forza 2.  but when forza 3 comes out i may have to do what i generally never do, is rent it and give er a go, since a demo can only go so far.  problem, late october release, and i need a vidya to play now.

back to the "BITCH BITCH I NEED A VIDYA I WANT TO PLAY BITCH BITCH"  ohh well.  i don't feel like spending money on a new console (i mean i just dropped $200 on a new 360....) so im stuck with mah tree sigsty and pretty boss pc.  lots of stuff to play, but it's all a matter of what i feel like playing, which unfortunately is very little of what's out (obviously, else id have found said game and be typing about it in the other thread.)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »
Double post for double stuff.

Frank West gameplay in TvC. From what I've seen of Viewtiful Joe he kind of sucks, but I hear Zero is also going to be in it which gives me wood.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Classes

Class trees for Borderlands. Probably going to do a Roland with a medical specialization. I'm wondering if you unlock higher spots on the tree with just leveling, because then I could just jump from tree to tree considering a few of the medical stuff seems useless.

Moving this to the thread it belongs in.

vladgd

« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
depending on how addicted to aion, im still pretty set on getting borderlands.  ill have to look more indepth into that wiki, but going assassin lillith looks like it could be fun.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »
i mean, it was ok, but i don't know.  then i tried the demo for forza 2, GOD DAMN WAY TO TELL ME I SUCK AT RACAN GAMES, GAME.  it basically kicked my ass and spat on my corpse, not sure if the full game is a bit more forgiving but i don't know. 

I've found Forza 2 (the full thing) to be pretty forgiving.  I don't know exactly what the demo offers (I bought Forza 2 mainly because Forza 1 was, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best racing game for the original Xbox) but the full version essentially lets you pick which assists you want to use.  Traction control, stability management, anti-lock brakes, suggested line, AI difficulty, computer-controlled shifting, and which damage model to use.  The tradeoff is that the more assists you use, the less money you get at the end of the race.  Similarly, the more difficult you make it, the more you get.  You can get anything from 50% to 150% (IIRC) of the normal earnings depending on what you pick.

Even despite that, it's still a sim racer and has a realistic physics engine.  Aside from the AI difficulty, damage settings, and suggested racing line display, the game doesn't do a whole lot of hand-holding.  I'd suggest renting the game or buying it (Forza 2 is a budget title now, $20 new).

yeah, spectere, im going to need some input since i know you make sweet lovins to forza 2.

Sweet lovins?  I fucking married Forza 2.  We'll see how good her little sister is when she ends up on the store shelves.

Let's just say that my Forza 2 disc was used so much that the shitty DVD-ROM drive on the Xbox 360 scratched the piss out of it*.  If I don't install it to the hard drive the game has a nasty tendency to stop reading the discs and crash on certain courses.  Fun.

*Before anyone says anything, my Xbox 360 never moves while in use.  It's always horizontal, always on a shelf, never touched.  I also take damn good care of my games.  I have CDs from 1992 that I used heavily that still work perfectly.  I have no idea why the DVD drive on the Xbox 360 is so freaking awful, but it kind of pisses me off.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

« Reply #187 on: September 27, 2009, 05:47:14 PM »
*Before anyone says anything, my Xbox 360 never moves while in use.  It's always horizontal, always on a shelf, never touched.  I also take damn good care of my games.  I have CDs from 1992 that I used heavily that still work perfectly.  I have no idea why the DVD drive on the Xbox 360 is so freaking awful, but it kind of pisses me off.

taking pristine care of the 360 does not prevent a RROD, it only slightly prolongs when you will get a RROD.  as for the scratching issues, i think it's "hey, get lucky your 360's dvd drive doesn't suck" since ive had a friend's 360 scratch up both his halo 3 AND his crackdown games.  i don't let people borrow 360 games for a reason...

anywho, i think ill just wait to rent forza 3, aion is my current timesink at the moment. 

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
Heh, I don't think taking care of a 360 will even prolong an RRoD.  Since most of what causes the RRoD is internal heat, even placing the thing in a cold room won't really do anything.  In fact, it might cause more problems due to the temperature difference.

I don't know if the DVD drive was swapped out when my old system RRoD'd, but the drive that's in there seems to be a bit better about not destroying my games.  Even so, I have yet to play a 360 game as long as I've played Forza 2, so who knows.

I really regret sinking as much as I did into DLC, especially for games like Rock Band 2, because I just know that I'm probably not going to have a working 360 in a few years.  Sadly, out of all three current gen systems, I have a feeling that my least favorite of the bunch (by far) -- the Wii -- is going to live the longest.  It's kind of upsetting, really.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
Placing it in a cold room might help prolong things a bit, since the colder the ambient temperature is, the longer it takes to reach high heats, but I think the only way to really avoid the RROD would be to implement some hardcore aftermarket cooling.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 27, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »
*Hardcore = NOT an Intec cooler/any cooler that snaps onto the back VIA the power supply input. This fried my friend's 360 to the point where when we tried to take it off, pliers had to be used, because it melted the plastic surrounding the housing, practically welding the cooler to the 360.  Needless to say he had to buy another 360.

:D
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
Holy shit, that's insane.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
Placing it in a cold room might help prolong things a bit, since the colder the ambient temperature is, the longer it takes to reach high heats, but I think the only way to really avoid the RROD would be to implement some hardcore aftermarket cooling.

There is no way to simply avoid the RRoD.  The issue is effectively caused by solder joints breaking.  Circulating air through the system might help, but it certainly won't prevent it.  The RRoD is caused by a major design flaw in the system; nothing is going to flat-out prevent it from happening.

I also learned that the GPU is apparently right under the drive.  That might explain some of the weird DVD drive issues that the system has.

The problem is that the system was rushed to the market, and now everyone -- both Microsoft and the end users -- are paying for it in the end.  It's a terrible situation that probably won't ever get fully resolved in the system's lifetime.

And, as Sneaky mentioned, coolers that sap power from the AC adapter are bad juju.  Really, I don't even see how ones that clip onto the back help much.  There are already a couple of exaust fans back there...seems to me like adding another one wouldn't significantly increase air flow.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »
Well, I read up about it on wikipedia, and they weren't clear on what the exact problem was (because apparently nobody can quite agree what it is). I wouldn't be surprised if it was the solder joints, at which point yeah, it's unavoidable.

If it weren't for the CPU and GPU using ball grid solder, it would be possible to fix the solder yourself (mind you, you'd void your warranty a couple times over to do so)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »

guess ill be playing some super street fighter 4 next year