Author Topic: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond  (Read 113025 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
Supposedly we're also getting Dudley, Makoto, Ibuki, Cody, Adon, and Guy as well.

And the mechanics are being switched around. New moves, rebalancing, new music, stages, 2 Ultras for everyone, some air supers/ultras, some new focus type thing that hasn't been explained to me yet.

And it's not going to be full price. Probably $30-40.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2009, 12:25:17 AM »
$30 to $40

Nice, I might actually buy this then. God please let Makoto be in it.

vladgd

« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:01 AM »
pretty sure what is confirmed is

juri
hawk
dee jay
hakan (an arab grappler, that totally tickles my fancy)

but that's cool for me, juri is awesome, we know dee jay and hawk are awesome, and arab grappler man sounds awesome.

as for the other rumored characters, cool for the people who want em, but, im not interested.  i mean, id probably want birdie, Q, and that's it really, ingrid because she's hot, but that's a bad reason to want a character in a game.  

but the leaks have been kind of accurate so far.  YOU CANT HAVE ENOUGH GRAPPLERS, EVER!

*edit*

speaking of MORE GRAPPLERS

HUGO.  and i don't know alpha, but isn't r mika a grappler?  even if not, she is a gief fangirl, and, look at her, she needs to be translated into the sf4 engine.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:01:51 AM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2009, 01:05:25 PM »
El Fuerte works like a faster version of R. Mika for the most part. He's just missing some command throws. I'd still take Mika's design over his any day though. Birdie's probably too close to Balrog in fighting style since he's actually more charge/dash type of guy than a real grappler.

Hugo would be a loooot of fun though. I use him quite a bit in 3S since I'm awful at parrying but great at catching people in that bounce off the wall into the air throw.

vladgd

« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »
just going to say it, since my opinion on this matter isn't generally the popular opinion.

mass effect 2's subject zero, frankly, i like her.  yep, i said it.  y'all can disagree with me, that's fine, but i think she's cool despite being a freakshow. because of being a freakshow.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2009, 04:50:08 AM »
I'm not so sure why everyone hates her, she does seem a bit generic bad ass tho.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »
It just feels like Bioware's trying too had to make a giant team of badasses. There's no one to round out the team. And I'm not sure why they have both the new Krogan and Subject Zero when they clearly both have assault and biotics going. Just Subject Zero would have been better. Her sexual assault thing scene in the trailer just reeks of going for shock value/"maturity" though. Their ads for Dragon Age have been really bad too. Marilyn Manson songs, comical amounts of blood, promises of "freaky sex." It's almost annoying.

vladgd

« Reply #202 on: October 02, 2009, 03:27:52 PM »
the dragon age adds have been horrible.  it's like they are trying to make me NOT want that game. 

as for mass effect 2, looks like there's going to be 10 party members this time around, so yeah.  pretty much what they have been showing seem to be good allies for the "renegade" shepherd.  presumably to emphasize the "dark" second chapter in the trilogy as they have been pretty adamant on doing.  not a big fan of that, but ohh well, the chances i will get sucked into this game if it's anywhere near the quality of the first one is pretty high, so im not worried.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
Those are some badass tattoos!
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2009, 12:53:05 AM »
http://www.giantbomb.com/seven-minutes-of-final-fantasy-xiii/17-1464/

looking pretty ok thus far.  it doesn't matter what i say about it though, im buying it.  it can't be as bad as ff12, i mean, that's an impossibility. 

from the "footage" i can see that snow is ok, black man with weird name that i forgot is pretty awesome, lightning is kind of lame, and i could care less about weird red headed chick. 

also depending on how much "better" the ps3 version, i think im retarded enough to buy a ps3 to play this.  seriously, ive been waiting since ff9 for an awesome ff game, and i really hope this is the one.  i want a ps3 anyway. 

i mean 10 was ok, i didn't really like it past the calm lands, but i got past it.  also yunalesca is probably one of the best ff boss fights ever, hard as balls(for me anyway), but it's so unique it's hard to hate.  x-2 keeps losing my interest, and everything about the game but the combat is kind of....beyond bad.  and 12 is just bland, nothing about it really sticks out to me.  it's my opinion, they aren't bad, but i just can't seem to play them without stopping. 

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2009, 01:52:27 AM »
The PS3/360 versions are said to be near identical. Both are only getting the english voice track because of they're lip syncing the characters' mouths to the english track. The only real difference is that the PS3 version is obviously on one disc while the 360 version will be on 3 or 4. Disc changing's a pretty small difference though.

Thankfully, it does look like Final Fantasy's going back into being much more character-driven compared to 12's plot wherein the characters are affected by things but don't do much to affect anything themselves. It looks like there's a great cast of characters with no one being a total freak and Hope, the teenage boy, sounds exactly like he should and with some fire to him.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2009, 02:02:48 AM »
http://www.giantbomb.com/seven-minutes-of-final-fantasy-xiii/17-1464/

looking pretty ok thus far.  it doesn't matter what i say about it though, im buying it.  it can't be as bad as ff12, i mean, that's an impossibility. 

from the "footage" i can see that snow is ok, black man with weird name that i forgot is pretty awesome, lightning is kind of lame, and i could care less about weird red headed chick. 

also depending on how much "better" the ps3 version, i think im retarded enough to buy a ps3 to play this.  seriously, ive been waiting since ff9 for an awesome ff game, and i really hope this is the one.  i want a ps3 anyway. 

i mean 10 was ok, i didn't really like it past the calm lands, but i got past it.  also yunalesca is probably one of the best ff boss fights ever, hard as balls(for me anyway), but it's so unique it's hard to hate.  x-2 keeps losing my interest, and everything about the game but the combat is kind of....beyond bad.  and 12 is just bland, nothing about it really sticks out to me.  it's my opinion, they aren't bad, but i just can't seem to play them without stopping. 

You had me wondering what you thought was so bad about 12. I can definitely see what you mean about how it was kinda bland, but from what I played, I definitely enjoyed the gameplay though.

And yes, 13 looks damn awesome.
The PS3/360 versions are said to be near identical. Both are only getting the english voice track because of they're lip syncing the characters' mouths to the english track. The only real difference is that the PS3 version is obviously on one disc while the 360 version will be on 3 or 4. Disc changing's a pretty small difference though.

Thankfully, it does look like Final Fantasy's going back into being much more character-driven compared to 12's plot wherein the characters are affected by things but don't do much to affect anything themselves. It looks like there's a great cast of characters with no one being a total freak and Hope, the teenage boy, sounds exactly like he should and with some fire to him.

Well, if we get lucky someone will release undubs for those of us who wish to spare themselves the sub-par english voice acting (still better than most, but as far as I'm concerned, 99% of english dubbing is sub-par anyway).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2009, 02:08:38 AM »
I don't think any of what's been shown has been subpar. The beginning of that trailer's a bit iffy but I think it's more because they haven't equalized the sound or finished the lip sync. And FF12 had some of the best voice acting...probably ever. 13 looks like it carry right along with that. Sazh (black dude) definitely has the best-delivered line of the trailer.

I'd honestly just rather see the correct lip sync with them speaking english.

And doing an undub of the game will be next to impossible. I have absolutely no idea how a hacked PS3 even works or what entails them putting subtitles and putting the english translation in. It definitely wouldn't match up though. The game's also being re-written to flow better in english than the normally overly-wordy japanese.

vladgd

« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »
You had me wondering what you thought was so bad about 12. I can definitely see what you mean about how it was kinda bland, but from what I played, I definitely enjoyed the gameplay though.

you know, it's ironic coming from me, but an rpg needs a little more than cool combat to get me through it.  it doesn't have to be story, but i mean, what i am doing in the world has to be somewhat interesting.  killer7 for example, story is just "what the fuck i don't even know whats going on" and the gameplay is mediocre.  but the game is just so goddamn crazy you can't help but want to go on further and see just what's around the next corner.  i mean mask de smith getting shot in the head...AND HEADBUTTING THE FUCKING BULLET, that's just like, yeah, buy killer7.

then again, i beat 5.  i didn't really give a hell what was going on, and the gameplay was the standard turn based stuff, but for some reason, it kept me interested enough to finish it.  so really i don't know, and i can't quite say why i keep putting down 12 other than it's not that interesting to me. 

as for 13, the lip syncing in the video looked pretty solid.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2009, 02:56:45 AM »
I don't think any of what's been shown has been subpar. The beginning of that trailer's a bit iffy but I think it's more because they haven't equalized the sound or finished the lip sync. And FF12 had some of the best voice acting...probably ever. 13 looks like it carry right along with that. Sazh (black dude) definitely has the best-delivered line of the trailer.

I'd honestly just rather see the correct lip sync with them speaking english.

And doing an undub of the game will be next to impossible. I have absolutely no idea how a hacked PS3 even works or what entails them putting subtitles and putting the english translation in. It definitely wouldn't match up though. The game's also being re-written to flow better in english than the normally overly-wordy japanese.

Overly wordy? Considering the fact that the Japanese language is capable of a grammatically correct sentence without having any actual sentence subject, I'd like to think of Japanese as being relatively compact, in some sense. I will admit that there are generally more syllables in a given sentence in japanese, rather than english, but calling Japanese overly-wordy is a bit of a stretch. Actually, it's a bit difficult to compare english and japanese, because they are so different. You also have to consider whether a particle should be considered a word or not.... But I'm getting a bit off topic from what I wanted to say...

I hate English voice acting, except when REAL ACTORS do it. Hence why one of the only anime dubs I've endured and didn't hate was princess mononoke.

I REALLY wish they would allow for Japanese audio and English text in more games......

Honestly, I'm as much in the dark as you are about how a hacked PS3 works, but I do know a bit about how un-dubs work. most of the time, instead of modifying the animation at all, they simply use what's there and try to fit English to the mouthing of the Japanese video. In an un-dub, the rip the Japanese audio, and replace the English audio with the original, while leaving the rest of the game untouched.

As a side note, my FFXII CD is an un-dub, lol.

But I will say that the voice acting has definitely improved over previous stuff.

as for 13, the lip syncing in the video looked pretty solid.

I hope you didn't think I was talking about the syncing specifically in my post. I just hate most English voice acting because 99% of it sounds incredibly fake and forced to me. (though not being a native speaker of Japanese, it maybe the Japanese sounds just as fake and forced to them as the English sounds to me. the difference being that to me, the Japanese sounds more natural than the English does, so I prefer mine in Japanese.)

killer7 for example, story is just "what the fuck i don't even know whats going on" and the gameplay is mediocre.  but the game is just so goddamn crazy you can't help but want to go on further and see just what's around the next corner.  i mean mask de smith getting shot in the head...AND HEADBUTTING THE FUCKING BULLET, that's just like, yeah, buy killer7.

I haven't played Killer 7, and have only seen a bit of gameplay, but man, I think calling the gameplay mediocre is a bit of an understatement. From what I've seen, it's downright horrible. My GF's roommate bought it recently, and I've seen him playing for a couple minutes, and the gameplay looks absolutely horrible.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x