Author Topic: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond  (Read 112959 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: games you look forward to in 2008 and beyond
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2009, 03:34:26 AM »
Killer7's not that bad to play. It's a lightgun game mixed with an adventure game basically. It has what I'd say would be the logical next step for lightgun games, although no one ever paid attention to it. I thought I hated it at first, but then I went back to it and decided it was awesome.

But yeah, Japanese is totally overwordy. When you have a sentence that ends up being some speech about magic and rainbows and some philosophical thing, it gets a bit annoying. Not to mention they repeat each other all the goddamn time. Things could be toned down and reworked to have much more functional meaning. Japanese relies way too much on odd metaphors that don't translate to any other language and because of that, don't need to exist if that language won't be used. Japanese is definitely extreeeeeemely hokey though. The VA's for Japanese games might be beloved icons but great actors they are not. I'll take Snow's VA (who also voiced Yuri in Tales of Vesperia) any day.

Funny note, the voices of Wakka and Kimahri in FFX are done by the voice of Bender from Futurama. He was also Migelo and Gilgamesh in FF12.

vladgd

« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2009, 03:37:58 AM »
Funny note, the voices of Wakka and Kimahri in FFX are done by the voice of Bender from Futurama. He was also Migelo and Gilgamesh in FF12.

who is also marcus fenix in gears of war

but i think calling killer7's gameplay horrible is a bit of an overstatement, it's not good, but it's decent enough to keep me entertained anyway.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that when we went back and played it a while ago. We also noticed him as Migelo, though I don't think we got close to Gilgamesh.

who is also marcus fenix in gears of war

That one, I didn't know, lol.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »
Killer 7 needed faster enemies, more enemies and better puzzles. Everything was just so easy, which made me feel kinda meh about it. Still entertaining tho.

Also I liked FF12's story. None of this forced romance stuff, none of this "YOU HAVE TO SAVE THE WORLD" stuff, but the gameplay just felt off. I liked the way it was going, but the Mist system was horrible.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
Killer 7 needed faster enemies, more enemies and better puzzles. Everything was just so easy, which made me feel kinda meh about it. Still entertaining tho.

Also I liked FF12's story. None of this forced romance stuff, none of this "YOU HAVE TO SAVE THE WORLD" stuff, but the gameplay just felt off. I liked the way it was going, but the Mist system was horrible.

Yes, I was happy about the changes in the story as well. I kinda liked the Mist system, but not overly much.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-weapons-3d-dot-game/57032

this isn't new, but fuck, seeing it in motion gives me a boner

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:16 PM »
http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/957205/borderlands/videos/borderlands_gmp_buildingassault_100709.html

My interested has been re-vitalized by this. Halo 1 health system, being able to kill an enemy to get a second chance at surviving when downed, an automatic rocket/grenade launcher and a machine gun with incendiary rounds, along with AI that actually takes cover (one guy takes cover behind a hand rail, which is pretty bad.)

Also the aliens are spear chuckers.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26708

Zero in TvC.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/103/1034545p1.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:50:59 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

vladgd

« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/battle-report-starcraft-ii/57845

at first im thinking "bullshit fucking psystorm is still bullshit"

then the terran player nukes the protoss player like 5 times

my face after that...

8)

anywho, im not a fan of the protoss at all.  UNLESS ITS OUT OF GAME they are ok, but in game, fuck em. 

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2009, 08:40:26 AM »
You can burn in hell. I love playing the Toss. Though regardless, seeing nukes actually used in a high level game is rare enough, seeing them effectively fuck someone's shit up is always awesome.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2009, 04:15:24 PM »
you have to sympathize me when i don't think it's "fair" when one single high templar can kill two control groups of my zerg units with the click of a button unless i am gosu enough to micro around it.  am i saying it's broken at pro level?  no, i see plenty of zergs walk over toss.  do i think it's broken at novice level?  hell yea i do.  

don't go saying "but zerg units are cheap" because im sure 24 hydras with the speed upgrade cost way more than one high templar with psy storm upgraded.  and im pretty sure it's easier to replenish say...two or three high templar (basically you can kill anything with this) than two control groups of hydras. 

though newf is alright at the game, i wouldn't mind seeing his opinion on the matter.  i know i suck at the game, but even playing against irl friends who also suck at the game, toss just seems too damn powerful at our level of play. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:19:08 PM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07:36 AM »
you have to sympathize me when i don't think it's "fair" when one single high templar can kill two control groups of my zerg units with the click of a button unless i am gosu enough to micro around it.  am i saying it's broken at pro level?  no, i see plenty of zergs walk over toss.  do i think it's broken at novice level?  hell yea i do.  

I will admit that it is broken at lower levels, but I rarely use templars.. then again, that could be part of my problem, lol. I've never been good at using psi-storm. You should note that templars are pretty much unable to defend themselves if you do get past the storm though.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2009, 01:27:03 AM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:58:51 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

vladgd

« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-torchlight/17-1551/

this comes out like tomorrow.  i will not be buying it tomorrow since i just got borderlands, and i need to play the bejesus out of that.

BUT, after im done with borderlands, this fucker is mine.  

a diablo like game for those who enjoyed diablo, with a nice cheap $20.00 pricetag.  

*edit*

goddamnit giantbomb.  second fucking time i watch a quicklook.  several seconds after watching said quicklook, i preorder the game.  $18.00 for preordering a game i planned on buying anyway, saved me two bucks anyway. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:50:06 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #223 on: October 27, 2009, 01:19:08 AM »
Forza 3 comes out todayyyyyyy~!

Figures that both it and Borderlands (which I bought today and am almost done downloading) came out on the same week.  Now I'm going to be torn on which one to actually play the shit out of.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2009, 01:11:35 AM »
http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-the-saboteur/17-1597/

This has literally been the only WW2 game I look forward too.

I love the whole setting of being a citizen under nazi rule, plus the gameplay looks like Uncharted mashed with Hitman.