Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 591572 times)

vladgd

Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1305 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »
shining force 2.  i am currently grinding at battle 36.

http://sf2.shiningforcecentral.com/pages/mainguide_walkthrough_part4.html

basically i am using the wizard tyrin, and well, promoting made him level 1 (same with karna, though she can gain good exp without the need of killing enemies), so leveling him has been a bitch.  he's 14 so far, when i hit 18, im going to stop and finish the battle.  been taking it slow since the grinding is damn boring (start battle, get it setup so tyrin gets the killing blow, kill two enemies, egress out of battle to do it again).  not much farther now.  then i have another fight, then BLACKSMITH THAT CAN CRAFT MITHRIL WEAPONS FROM ALL OF THAT MITHRIL I HAVE BEEN SPENDING THE WHOLE GAME GETTING!  after that, 5/6 fights (if you include the secret fight after the credits which i will probably do), then game is done.

BECAUSE i was bored with grinding, ive been playing a little super street fighter 4.  bison is the new ken, i don't like that.  i will continue to main him for the time being, but i have been developing my gen game.  frustrating fucker to use/learn, but at the end of the day, i like using him, and if he's fun, why not work on him.  plus a shitty gen looks better than "ohh, not another bison that doesn't know how to play, jeeze"  slipping up a lot with gen, but i sort of know what to work on.  kind of a list of stuff to work on.

bnb combos
not fucking up on his basic stuff (crane clk into mantis c rh is a good example of something basic i fuck up on)
following up with stuff that can be followed up with (like a focus attack, or if i land oga i can do a gekiro, stuff like that)

gen is a cool character who is fun to use.  only problem is he's low tier, and hard to use.  (as opposed to dan who is low tier, and easy to use)  

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1306 on: May 30, 2010, 12:26:12 PM »
Damnit vlad, your making me want to play the shining force games.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 31, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Damnit vlad, your making me want to play the shining force games.

Same here, I never really knew there were popular RPGs on the Genesis. Then again, I've never been a huge RPG person.

Also two more things, Monster Hunter is nuts. There's so much shit for me to do it's confusing. The whole sending ships to different places to fish seems odd, and the whole farming of herbs, mushrooms, and bugs seems massively confusing when you combine it with the combo system. Also I'm upset I didn't get the classic controller with the game.

Also my friends dragged me into a game of Modern Warfare 2, and we had a few local 3 free for all matches. the first few were nothing noteworthy, one person would see the other and shoot them, and then another person would see it on radar and run at them. I got bitched at for screen cheating, then the same person who said that admitted to doing it himself (lol console shooters).

After that we do a game of headshots only with radar. I start out bad, but then I start to get a hang of the UMP (one of the presets, I think that's it) and I start taking them down left and right. One of them finds out you can knife and still get kills and does nothing but charge at us while my other friend uses a FAMAS.  So I keep killing him a split second before he can knife me and I keep taking down my other friend fairly easily. They both throw a ton of shit at me, like grenades and trying to knife me or chasing em half way around the level with a riot shield. Eventually I win with more then double the points the second place player had, so they force me to use the smaller screen (I agreed, feeling confident then) and we start another round.

This time we had a new friend play the third slot, and he starts kicking my ass from the start. So the game continues fairly uneventful outside of the fact that we've all gotten to the point were we can head shot instantly, and me and the second place guy are tied. I see my third friend charging him and I scope up while he's running full speed in front of me and nail him twice in the head with only two shots fired. Shit was nuts. It's odd, my one friend said he was awesome at COD games, and he was doing shit, while my friend that owned the console only did mediocre. I guess passing for good at something means getting a mediocre score in most online games.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/943655-monster-hunter-tri/faqs/59579

posting this so I can find it later. This game is starting to confuse me tho.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:20:52 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1308 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:05 PM »
Depends how good they actually do. I've got a friend who I've seen go stuff like 25 and 7, and shit like that, but there are people out there I've seen go 25 and 3, or 32 and 5 and shit. And then there are the guys who are basically gods.

But then again, now WM2 is shit online compared to when it came out. Everyone camps, and abuses the overpowered weapon combos.

Same here, I never really knew there were popular RPGs on the Genesis. Then again, I've never been a huge RPG person.

Well, when I decided to see what game for the genesis were good, when I started emulation, I stumbled upon them, and loved them. I've played a couple times since then, but never gotten very far.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 01, 2010, 03:15:30 AM »
I usually go somewhere around 30-4 these days using just about whatever I feel like using but whatever. I have some really off days too.

The real key these days tends to be that kids think they're way better than they really are. It's sort of the whole small fish/small pond moving to big pond type of thing. You think you're real good at fighting games because you can beat your friends and then it turns out that you suck really really badly if you ever go to a tournament.

I've been playing Alpha Protocol (on the PC omg) and it is definitely better than a lot of the reviews say (especially Destructoid's retarded 2/10 review jesus christ). It's slower and a lot more methodical than a lot of people can handle I think. Like, run'n'gun will make you fail really badly. I'm playing as a straight up spy though and I take my time lining up headshots with my silenced pistol and using my sneaking abilities to move around to disable stuff. It's pretty cool. The game can just have a pretty crappy camera and framerate sometimes. The story's pretty cool though.

My only other complaint is that the only character I actually would like to romance isn't available for romance. I've so far met Scarlet, the standard strong reporter redhead out for a big scoop, Mina the somewhat ugly asian woman who's really easy to get points with, SIE the russian super mercenary woman who apparently loves sex so I can't imagine it's hard to get her and Sis (I don't know why she's named Sis when she's not a sister of anything...), the maybe 22 year old (they say she's early 20's but nothing specific) somewhat goth/punk mute assassin who wears a heavy parka and some ripped jeans. I'll probably just end up with Mina and maybe SIE since she's probably really easy. She looks like Olga from Metal Gear Solid 2 though so it's weird.

Fun game though.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 01, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »
But then again, now WM2 is shit online compared to when it came out. Everyone camps, and abuses the overpowered weapon combos.

One reason I never got into MW2, you could tell by just looking at the game that they didn't care about balance and just wanted to jam as much shit as they could into the game. It's sort of sad that people will tolerate this, and even defend it (anyone who actually believed the not balanced for lean thing should commit suicide).

I usually go somewhere around 30-4 these days using just about whatever I feel like using but whatever. I have some really off days too.

The real key these days tends to be that kids think they're way better than they really are. It's sort of the whole small fish/small pond moving to big pond type of thing. You think you're real good at fighting games because you can beat your friends and then it turns out that you suck really really badly if you ever go to a tournament.

Most people are like that (I'll man up to it, I never went 6 KDR regularly in CS:S, then again it is awkward to compare kill streaks in different games that and from my experience, Modern Warfare is much easier to play). It's just people will start to get a decent positive KDR in a game, and then it all goes to their head. I have one friend who thinks he's a god at every game he touches, when he's only really mediocre at best.

but yeah, I really stopped listening to reviewers.

Holy shit I'm addicted to Monster Hunter 3. Like, I was unsure about the combat at first but I'm really liking it, and the armor and weapon making seems fairly awesome. My ONLY problem is that it's grindy, but it's a somewhat good grind. Anyone here have Tri and want to do some online play?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:32:26 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 02, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »
http://boi.perfectworld.com/

Typical grinder, but EASY. If you're looking just to diddle around in a nice game environment, this one is pretty neato.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

vladgd

« Reply #1312 on: June 03, 2010, 04:11:45 AM »
shining force 2

i am getting through this game, slowly, but it's going to get done.  i just beat odd eye, meaning i have...three battles left, and then the secret optional battle after the credits.  it's been going, expected the odd eye fight to be hard...nope.  frayja recently got the "attack" spell, and i think i have a good use for it.  say the terrain has enemies that would be close for a flyer to get in, but not for ground people.  basically cast that on peter, have him run up next turn and one shot one of the annoying spellcasters, then have him retreat back to the force.  put it to good use assassinating an evil bishop (healer), but i was retarded and tried to let him do more.  at least he's a phoenix, so when the battle is done, his dead ass is not dead anymore.  only other character with that trait i believe is lemon, who can't kill himself if he tried (WHICH HE DOES).

here's the short and nostalgic version.  i just beat the battle which is the first ive seen of this game being played at a friends house so long ago.  the battle i am on right now and will do later is the battle ive pretty much ALWAYS seen said friend play, on multiple occasions his shining force 2 file is on that very battle...and i haven't seen past that fight.  so it's pretty cool. 

super street fighter 4

gen.  don't remember when i made that last post about gen, but i have a pretty decent understanding of the guy now.  im able to do some pretty basic stuff with him, but his stuff is fun to do.  i honestly think when i am to the point where i can do all of his shit that he's a solid character.  but i mean stuff like cossup crane jmk, st jab, clk, mantis super, mantis ultra, that's really fun to do and not too hard to execute.  ALTHOUGH requiring full super and ultra 1.  where you could land u1, if you don't have it, you can land a ton of stuff after his super.  i think his basic bnb is clk, smp, hands, or in crane if you are jumping, jrh, jrh, jab, hp roll.  trying to learn more, but it's fun. 

23/24 of his trials cleared.  last one is a bit tricky.  nothing "lol1framelinks" gay, but stuff im not used to executing.  as the individual stuff isn't "that" bad. 

(mantis) cjab, smp, hands xx super, full hk gekiro. 

cjab into smp alone isn't that bad of a link.  ill mess up 50% of the time, but it's not that bad.  doing that and hands afterwards is pretty damn challenging, because most of the time i link directly from cjab to hands without the smp.  canceling hands into super WITHOUT TRYING TO MASH IT OUT RANDOMLY is pretty hard since it's hands hitting really fast, when do i input my super?  but even if i do all of that, i still can't consistently do a full hk gekiro.  the timing is weird, it's not really evident when you should hit the button, even knowing the proper rhythm i still drop it. 

tap, tap tap, tap tap tap taptap

fuck up the timing at all, you drop it. 

hardest special move to do in the game, and iirc a hp srk does more damage and rewards more meter.  funny.  but i will finish the trial if i decide to stick with gen.  unlike the plethora of tldrs ive typed on ssfiv, i didn't much whore out srk/training mode like i am doing with gen right now.  pretty obvious it is a bit less frustrating playing this character after putting forth a proper effort into learning him.  i mean if i stick it out, ill be able to do hk gekiro every time, ill be able to cancel hands into super like nothing, and ill have my little gen flag icon. 

/endpost

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1313 on: June 03, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »
http://boi.perfectworld.com/

Typical grinder, but EASY. If you're looking just to diddle around in a nice game environment, this one is pretty neato.

I played perfect world, and it's by the same people (hence ".perfectworld.com")... I was wondering if that game was worth bothering with, not that I've really got that much free time :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #1314 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
shining force 2

second to final battle.  new battle music?  awe yeh!

ssfiv

gen is a frustrating cunt.  but i finished all of his trials.  but using him, it's like i have to work twice as hard just to keep up.  he probably has the hardest special moves to execute in the game, you have to manage the stance changes, he heavily relies on super which is harder to generate, ohh, and he has 900 health on top of that.  

why am i using him?  he is fun.  but losing all the goddamn time is getting a bit old.  i reckon that's apart of the game though, because i can't go back to bison (literally, i played so much gen bison is not playable to me anymore).  

though if i do have super, he has easy ways to combo into it, which itself can combo into a hk gekiro, ultra, reset.  like my bnb, which is generally "poke into hands", can be canceled into super.  starting to get the hang of it.  from my playing today, i think i took home a few things.  

-FOOTSIES, CONTROL DAT SPACE
-DO HANDS A FUCKING LOT, it's safe easy meter generation (far as i know)
-DO MORE GODDAMN HANDS just like try and get those things in.  
-FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT DO CROSSUP MK EVERY KNOCKDOWN
-STOP FUCKING USING GEKIRO TO GET OUT THEY FUCKING KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT

and i need to better learn when and where to focus.  figure nearly having played the game and vanilla for a combined total of 183 hours i would know how to implement focus attack into my game?  NOPE! but nobody here plays the game so none of y'all can give me advice.  

*edit*

this is the heavy kick gekiro.

stupidly easy to fuck up and not get all the hits.  thankfully i did that in one go for the camera.  

*editt*

finally.  i should have beat this game when i was first exposed to it (already late) in 2000.  shining force 2 beaten.  extra battle after the credits beaten.  

GG

though, it took me a good long time to get through start to finish, and a good 35 hours of playtime to complete.  i bought my sonics UGC back last august or so, and i didn't get too far.  started back up playing a month ago, and then i beat it today.  

i have plenty of superb quality games oozing with nostalgia i can pick up and play (i bought like 7 or so ps1 games out of nostalgia bloodthirst two months ago), it's possible i might pick one of those up and start playing it.  or go to amazon and pick up some of the remaining ps1 games i want to own, a good condition copy of brave fencer musashi, fear effect 1-2, parasite eve 2, threads of fate, may be a few others but if i owned all of those, my ps1 collection is as good as complete for me...BUT that might be for another month, im most likely picking up blur in a few days.  

*no new posts so edit to prevent double post*

streat fiter

gen is starting to get frustrating.  i still like him, and i guess ill keep using him, but i think i should start using bison more.  i mean when i rack up a losing streak with gen, it's nice to have a "to go" guy to get the job done.  i mean i done played so much gen, playing bison is foregin to me, GOTTA GET EM BACK UP TO PAR!

red dead redemption

this game.  i am not hooked, this game does not have me by the balls, i am not utterly sucked into this game.  

but, it is fun, i do have a good time when i do play it.  while it doesn't have me by the balls, i will probably gradually play it in chunks of 1-2 hours.  just got to mexico, the mission to get to mexico brought up a glitch which killed me.

-adjusting myself for cover on the raft
-OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE I SOMEHOW JUMP TO THE TOP OF THE SKY...and i fall to my death in the water

on a later mission involving jumping onto a train, i was trying to guess the context sensitive button i needed to push to jump on the train...i accidentally dismount, but the button popped up during that animation so i hit the proper button as i am riding fast dismounting...

what happened was i was sucked into the train and the screen was glitching out where you couldn't make out what was on the tv, i was essentially stuck until i hit the "dismount" button, which i fell to my doom below the floor.  the game said i fell off a "cliff", very funny.

those glitches, if they were in a previous gta game, i would be livid.  but the awesomeness of mid mission checkpoints kept my blood pressure down to a level where i could laugh at those deaths and continue enjoying the game.   all rockstar needs to do is impliment those awesome awesome mid mission checkpoints into their previous games so i can enjoy them now as i did when they were new.  

*eeLOLljjj

you know that blur game?  it's pretty good.  ive been enjoying the single player and the multiplayer.  unfortunately there is no time trial "hey i want to just race by myself and chill" mode.  ALL CHAOS ALL THE TIME!

single player is also a good example of friends list integration adding replay value.  

-i just beat that mission with a time of 2:00
-xxBONERSxx time- 1:30
-MOTHERFUCKER BONERS IM GOING TO BEAT THAT TIME

it's good shit.  

*this place is as dead as a ghost town in red dead redemption*

more rdr.  dicking around treasure hunting, doing story missions, and the odd stranger mission.  

anyone find "you are in a stationary turret, kill 50 million dudes if you die you have to re kill that 50 million dudes all over again" missions in games fun?  i fucking hate them.  seems like red dead redemption is going to keep throwing em at me for "climax" missions, which is a shame because they are fucking boring.  shadow complex has 3 turret sequences, that game had 3 too many turret sequences, one of the only bad things i can say about that game.  

seriously though, im thinking to myself some 4 minutes into the NONSTOPSHOOTANALLTHETIME "if i die, im probably going to put this game down indefinitely, because i really don't want to re do this".  i didn't die, so i reckon ill keep casually playing it.  

16 hours in, some 50% complete.  assuming that counts for side stuff too, i reckon im more than half way through the "story" of the game.  unfortunately it's impossible to not be spoiled for a game unless you avoid the internet until you beat it (me with mass effect 2), so i kind of already know the ending.  not a big problem though, while i do like the game, and the cutscenes are entertaining, im not into it enough to really care about spoilers.  

*EDDRRR*

beat red dead redemption.

reckon there's a difference in knowing what's going to happen, and experiencing what is happening.  the whole series of missions up to the last...

MANLY TEARS

*EDgege

plants vs zombies, i got it on pc (it's like $10.00 and 25 megs)

anybody know if they do the cloud save system thinger like on torchlight (ie, say i go to another pc to play plants vs zombies, my save will magically appear if i am on the same steam account)?  

anywho, im not too far i reckon, but it's good.  ive heard nothing but good things about this game.  it's fun, it has a nice sense of humor, the music is nice, the artwork is nice, small download, cheap, easy to pick up and play...what more does a game need?

also, this post is fuckin huge, you niggers need to play more goddamn vidya.  seriously though, ive been slacking the past half year, last 3 games i beat were rdr, shining force 2, mass effect 2.  now mass effect 2 i beat 4 days after the game came out...that's like what late january/feb1?  some 4 months of not beating anything at all?  THAT GRINDED MY GEARS.

but ill probably play plants vs zombies casually, "hey i feel like doing something for 10-20 minutes"...or pull a red dead redemption and do that for the first third, and hardcore the next two thirds.  thinking about what game i should tackle next.  i have a decent amount of old ps1 games i could gnaw on, hopefully i can get into one of em without stopping out of lack of interest.  i mean, the game needs to be able to pull my ass away from the internet, and that's no easy feat.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:34:57 AM by vladgd »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 13, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
Wow vlad, wow.

Also I'm completely stuck in Hitman and Earthbound. Hitman doesn't seem to have any clear way to get into the white house, and I'm sure the rest of the mission is just as hard and confusing as this starting part. Earthbound just keeps throwing starmen ghosts and ultimate starmen, which are just as bad but have shields, which makes killing them in one round not possible.

Also I've bought Metro 2033 (hope this rig can run it fine, I'm slightly concerned about my RAM) and I found out my friend plays MH tri and now I have an online buddy to play with.

OH YEAH, and I got some quality time on SSF4, and I definitely liked it. Dudley felt like he had WAY to many ending frames on like all of his attacks. Makoto was a down right abortion, like, not even funny how bad they made her. Guy, Cody, and Hakan seemed like a lot of fun, but Adon and Ibuki are awesome. I had like a winning streak against my friends with Adon and Ibuki.

Also my friend was having a damn decent streak with a flow chart Ken. So I stated it was time to fight flowchart with flowchart and picked Sagat and fucked him over. Always feels good to do that when he goes into flow chart mode.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:30:07 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

vladgd

« Reply #1316 on: June 14, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
yeah nig, gotta KEEP IT REAL.  when you eventually get GGPO up and running, what game should we play?  id rather not dabble with multiple games since it takes me long enough to learn one of em.  3s, a2, a3, vs, vs2, jojo's, one of the kof's, whatev mang.  

been playing "the legend of dragoon", old ps1 jrpg people speak highly of.  6 hours into it, just got my dragoon powers.  it's a bit slow, the combat requires timing strict enough where my hdtv lag makes it unplayable(like iidx, only it has no timing adjust), and adjusting to ps1 graphics takes a little time.  but, playing on the big sdtv in the basement solves the timing problem, solves the FUCK SUMMER HEAT/HUMIDITY problem, and gets my black ass away from the pc.

so far anyway, im enjoying it.  whether i have the drive to complete it isn't known to me yet, but for now im liking it and im going to keep at it.  

funny thing i wrote down 5 games on a piece of paper, numbered each of them, and went to random.org to select the game i would play.  i landed on chrono cross, which for some reason motivated me to pick dragoon instead.  the other 3 games were alundra 2, ape escape, and ff6.  if i end up beating this game, there's a possibility ill need a multi month break from jrpg's.  last time i had the drive to complete multiple jrpg's in a row was back when i didn't have a job.  literally pollished off ff7, ff9, ff10 in a row within 2-3 weeks.  funny, as much as i didn't enjoy 10, it's a better game than 13, by far.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:58:08 AM by vladgd »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 14, 2010, 07:14:44 AM »
I'd highly recommend Ape Escape. It's definitely underrated, considering it genuinely did something different with platforming games.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1318 on: June 14, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
been playing "the legend of dragoon", old ps1 jrpg people speak highly of.  6 hours into it, just got my dragoon powers.  it's a bit slow, the combat requires timing strict enough where my hdtv lag makes it unplayable

Why is it unplayable on the HDTV again? It's been a long time since I played that game. I've been meaning to get it and play through it some time.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 14, 2010, 06:18:58 PM »
The game's battle system uses a timed combo system for attacks where you have to press square when the icon lights up when the cursor moves over it. The game already had pretty strict timing on it (oh my god Lavitz's Dance of Spring Wind or whatever it is). Any lag would make that impossible.

It's definitely a good game and I was happy playing through it at the time (the story was serious without being too melodramatic, main characters are actually in peril, the twists are all pretty cool, the music is still great and it looked really good when it came out). Its only real problems were the terrible inventory system, how hard it is to get money for certain items and how slow the game could be sometimes.

Sadly, it was blasted when it came out because it came out too close to Final Fantasy 7 (it came out between 7 and 8 I believe).