Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 600221 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1395 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
First link doesn't work.

Also I finally got around to beating Red Faction Go-rilla. Game was fairly fun, but definitely gets repetitive near the end. It really had awkward weapon pacing (the rail gun basically replaces the sniper, and you get both at about the same time, some of the weapons you come across near/middle are useless) but it was still fairly awesome. Working on the DLC now, already having fun with it.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 14, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
grafzahl.drdteam.org/

Just use that. GZDoom really does work better by a mile. And it works with Hexen, which is really nice.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1397 on: August 15, 2010, 04:21:55 AM »
First link doesn't work.

Try reading the link info when you mouse over it.. The link was: %27http//grafzahl.drdteam.org/'

Ulti, you don't need quote marks around the url in a [url] tag. Just type url=whateverurl.com
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 15, 2010, 12:29:08 PM »
Oh, I got that all working. Also this game is a dumb amount of nostalgia for me. Maybe after this I might get motivated to beat Douk Noukem 3D.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1399 on: August 15, 2010, 03:29:50 PM »
If you really want a nostalgia trip, give Chocolate Doom a go.  It attempt to replicate the Doom experience, bug for bug, while providing a few options for convenience (i.e. higher screen resolutions, quadrupled heap sizes to allow for larger maps, etc).  That said, GZDoom and ZDoom are the best picks for regular play and for playing newer custom maps.

Speaking of custom maps, you should download Doom Builder while you're at it. :)

Also, when it comes to Duke Nukem 3D, make sure you're using something like EDuke32 for peak awesomeness.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 15, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
Yeah, I have eduke 32 installed, it's just that it gave me slightly goofy controls for some reason.

Also I feel as if I've lost my urge to play MH tri. I haven't played in a while, but after my last Rathian capture rage quit I'm not sure what to do. I don't feel like grinding HR just to play online (they really need to incorporate the online and offline better, because shit is dumb as is) and I don't see anything worth working towards offline. I'll probably beat it offline, but currently the classic controller is taking some getting used to.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1401 on: August 15, 2010, 06:22:16 PM »
The controls shouldn't be any different in EDuke32 than they are in regular Duke3D.  The controls probably feel odd because WASD and similar modern control schemes didn't exist in 1996.

You should be able to configure them to feel more normal.  I was able to configure DOS Duke3D and, to a lesser extent, Doom, operate somewhat close to a modern game.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 15, 2010, 07:31:02 PM »
Yeah, it's just for some odd reason I can use my mouse, but looking makes me strafe right instead of actually looking (I haven't played in a long time, but that's what I remember) Also I got massively stuck on that one UFO stage, I spent a half hour searching every inch of where I had been and found nothing.

Also Mass Effect is done, shit was rather awesome. spoilers I thought Saren was a horrible final boss, then he went all "FINAL FORM" on me and he was actually pretty hard and fun.

Suppose I can look into Megaman Z4/Fire Emblem/Advance wars now.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1403 on: August 15, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
In DOS Duke 3D you can select what the X axis for the mouse does.  I'm sure it's the same way in EDuke.  I distinctly remember DOS Duke defaulting to looking left/right, but EDuke might have different defaults.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 15, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
I'll get back to it then, at least once I beat Doom. I'm in love with this game, I spent a whole stage punching enemies to death due to the fact that I ran out of ammo and luckily found a berserker thing.

I'm onto inferno now, from what I hear the game goes into fuck you mode.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:59:30 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1405 on: August 17, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
I'm onto inferno now, from what I hear the game goes into fuck you mode.

Nah, Inferno's relatively tame.  Thy Flesh Consumed is where it goes into a mild "screw you" mode.

Final Doom is when it pulls out all the stops and tells you to go fuck yourself.

Hell Revealed is where it's really at.  It pretty much rips out your rectum, shoves it down your throat, and removes your scrotum with a rusty blade while forcing you to watch Soulja Boy music videos on repeat until you bleed out.  Then it resurrects you and does it again.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Hahahah oh god HR. Yeah that mapset is pretty damn difficult. Alien Vendetta's later maps get retarded as well (Map26[?] has some literally insane monstercount, something like 2500), and Deus Vult is beyond bullshit on UV, unless you just run through everything (which I assume you're supposed to do).

Also: Used to using IPB >_>

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1407 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:34 PM »
Ah yeah, MAP26 is...an experience.  To make matters, uh, better, most of the later HR levels made saving with the classic Doom engine impossible due to the sheer thing count in some of them.  Must suck for speedrunners when they want to try out different things, considering everything but the official DOS Doom executables are banned on sites like COMPET-N.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 18, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »
I got my Modern Warfare 2 mod for Doom 2 working for a bit, shit's surprisingly fun.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 19, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
Ah yeah, MAP26 is...an experience.  To make matters, uh, better, most of the later HR levels made saving with the classic Doom engine impossible due to the sheer thing count in some of them.  Must suck for speedrunners when they want to try out different things, considering everything but the official DOS Doom executables are banned on sites like COMPET-N.

Yeah I stopped trying with speedruns a few years back, I prefer just going for 100/100/100 now, unless the level is specifically designed not to let you do so. Although I have tied the world record for TAS speedruns on map01... rofl

Also: gonna go into Arena.net's offices tonight and test out GW2, I'll report back.