Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 591542 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1470 on: September 13, 2010, 04:05:23 AM »
You could have just abused the paragon/renegade glitch on Noveria (the snow place? yeah) where you tell that one guy to testify in court (or not for renegade points) and then when he asks if there's anything else, you can just tell him to do it again and again and again and again.

I ended up ordering Halo: Reach. I didn't like Halo 3 but I'm assured by many pirates that the game is nowhere near the clunkiness of 3. And I honestly did enjoy the Halo: Reach beta. Especially Juggernaut. So much fun.

And I think I'll be doing some system link parties seeing as how I have a 42" TV and two couches upstairs and a 50" TV and a couch and two chairs down in the basement. It'll work out perfectly as long as I can get one of my friends to bring with his 360, get a nice long crossover cable to connect them and get a couple of usb hubs so everyone can use their gamertags and gain points/customization stuff.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1471 on: September 13, 2010, 10:35:55 AM »
Yeah, I read about that after the fact, but I read that if you do that trick it'll cause problems if you import the save into Mass Effect 2.  I'd rather not risk it.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »
I ended up ordering Halo: Reach. I didn't like Halo 3 but I'm assured by many pirates that the game is nowhere near the clunkiness of 3. And I honestly did enjoy the Halo: Reach beta. Especially Juggernaut. So much fun.

Please tell me so once you get it, I'm hoping it's good considering ALL my friends are hitting that bandwagon hard and fast.

Also I've re-fallen for Other M. The, assuming first, Ridley fight was actually surprisingly difficult and fun, and cutscenes that followed were actually enjoyable (more so the one were Samus activates space jump and says "any objections, Adam?").

Also spectere, that was fast.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1473 on: September 13, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
Also spectere, that was fast.

I put in about 26 hours in three days. :x

I didn't complete all of the side missions, so that shaved quite a bit off of my play time.  I finished the game at...level 44, I think.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:05 AM »
I was the same level, but I took forever . I don't think playing several games at a time is helpful to beating one fast.

Okay, fuck SF4, at least online. Nothing I do offline seems to work online, and shotos can do whatever the fuck they want with little to no risk. The only thing that seems punishable is a heavy SRK, and even then you can to be fucking on top of them when they land and most people aren't dumb enough to through that out all over the place. I just lost to an Akuma that ran and spammed fire balls at a distance (I chased down and beat my friends Akuma who did a better job of running with Zangief, couldn't do it online as Sagat). I lost to a Sagat player who jumped and spammed kick because Able has no anti-air shit.

The thing that topped it off was fucking Ryu doing a hurricane kick, me jabbing like a mad man waiting for my block stun to stop, and his grab going off directly afterwords beat out my fucking jab. That's just downright horrible game design.

I KNOW I'm better then these played, I've beaten my friends who play much smarter, but online I just can't get shit off, and EVERYTHING shoto does is easy to do.

OH BOY, SURE DO LOVE HAVING MY SWEEPS PUNISHED BY AN ANTI AIR ATTACK. Goddamn this game is shit. Like, a total step backwards for the fighting game genre. They shouldn't dumb down fighting games just to get a broader audience, that's what the shooter genre is for.

Oh, and Doom 2 started cycling me through levels I had already beaten, what the fuck is going on with that?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:02:30 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1475 on: September 14, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »
I was the same level, but I took forever . I don't think playing several games at a time is helpful to beating one fast.

Yeah, I just played it obsessively for a few days.  It was kind of scary because I very rarely do that with games.

Oh, and Doom 2 started cycling me through levels I had already beaten, what the fuck is going on with that?

Eh?  How's that happening?

Did you BREAK it? ;<

vladgd

« Reply #1476 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:04 PM »
man i love hdr.  unless something inevitable is happening (example, low health, they throw a fireball to hit me as i get up doing enough chip damage to kill), i rarely doubt my ability to come back in a round.  

i just learned a "psudo" touch of death.  so if i have meter, and i land a crossup, guaranteed win for me.  i don't have any non meter touch of deaths down, im not sure if it's ST specific in what im trying, or just really hard links.  but what i do have is pretty neat.  

zangief obviously.  

crossup down fierce, c jab, s strong, c roundhouse.  that will do around 60% damage, and dizzy.  i could do it again, but due to health counting as more the lower you get, it leaves them with about 5% health left.  but if i have super, i can just do an easy jump buffer 720 and kill after the dizzy.  

still, it's a pretty cool trick.  it sounds broken, but every character has bullshit like this, and i have a hard enough time landing a crossup in a normal game as is.  in the many games ive played thus far, ive never been hit by a touch of death combo.

so ive been playing that.  against randoms, im zangief only, rarely pick other characters.  but if i get some bros to play (a few irl friends of mine will EVENTUALLY get the game), im thinking about picking up vega, or going more in depth with dee jay.  

ohh, and i finally got the execution for 360 k down.  it's a bit more finicky than the 360 p for some reason. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:29:00 PM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1477 on: September 14, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
it sounds broken, but every character has bullshit like this

Just because everyone is broken, doesn't mean it's not broken. I think that's the biggest thing I have against SF: People can do shit like that and basically just win, and you can't do jack about it. I mean, aside from having flawless defense and never letting you land a crossup when you have meter, there's no way to actually prevent that. At least in GG and BB, you've got brusts, and a lot of different things preventing someone from comboing you to death, and such. And the instant kill moves are damn near impossible to pull off, to the point that in competitive play, they are useless.

And if you say that GG is unbalanced, please refer to This article by David Sirlin.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

Re: the guilty gear vs super turbo thread
« Reply #1478 on: September 14, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
i did not call it broken.  i just said it "sounds" broken, implied to people like you who don't play st/hdr.  

ill tell you a secret only us super turbo pros know, a secret tip with the special strategy to not let a 100% crossup ToD happen.

BLOCK

And the instant kill moves are damn near impossible to pull off, to the point that in competitive play, they are useless.

you could say the same thing applies to ST, dun dun dunnnnnn  

also, why compare st to gg?  i guess i can compare the first quake game to unreal tournament 2004, same principle.

*edit*

related to topic
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:57:28 PM by vladgd »

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 15, 2010, 03:02:16 AM »
And the instant kill moves are damn near impossible to pull off, to the point that in competitive play, they are useless.

Mike Z lol

That's Mike Z though so ridiculousness is to be expected.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1480 on: September 15, 2010, 03:22:20 AM »
That's one damn good use of tager. One of the best Tager matches I've seen so far. And Xie isn't exactly a weak opponent, either.

Also, astrals have a lot of restrictions, compared to GG's instant kills, which could be activated any time you have tension. (Of course, since tension goes down after entering the right mode to do the instant kill, the less tension you have, the less time you have to get the move off.)

And why compare street fighter and guilty gear? They are both fighting games, and the mechanics of street fighter seem ridiculous to me.

BLOCK

I think it's pretty much impossible to block a move every single time someone tries it. Hence why I think that stuff like that is overpowered. IMO SF punishes you way too much for making one small mistake. Kinda makes sense that half the people online play like a bunch of asshats, spam bullshitshit that's hard to deal with, or turtle hardcore.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:30:17 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: September 15, 2010, 04:11:36 AM »
I've also seen someone do it with Jam in GGAC (they comboed into it, which is worse).

BUT, I want to know which Quake game has the best single player? I hear good things about Q2.

vladgd

Re: the guilty gear vs super turbo thread
« Reply #1482 on: September 15, 2010, 04:46:14 AM »
I think it's pretty much impossible to block a move every single time someone tries it. Hence why I think that stuff like that is overpowered. IMO SF punishes you way too much for making one small mistake. Kinda makes sense that half the people online play like a bunch of asshats, spam bullshitshit that's hard to deal with, or turtle hardcore.

you should really play the game before criticizing it.  

if you can't block a damn crossup, you deserve to lose the round.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9152819

hour and 10 minutes in is where the hdr starts.  watch the game.  EVERYTHING DOES A TON OF DAMAGE, there is no damage scaling, that is how st is.  st is not guilty gear.  yes, they are both fighting games, but no, you can not compare them.  

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: September 15, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »

That's why things like zoning are much more important in SF, and people play like that online because A.) they are bad at the game and B.) they are trying to compensate/exploit the lag.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1484 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:03 PM »
Ok, I'm not trying to be an asshole, and sorry if I come off as one. I've seen SF gameplay. I've always cringed at how much damage stuff does. Again and again, I've said that this is my opinion. I just personally think that making everything do a ton of damage is stupid.

I guess since SF has fewer options for things to do, blocking a crossup is easier, but I still think it's kinda ridiculous to have a ToD that you can initiate off of a crossup.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x