Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 10679 times)

tehngion

• doctor retard, PhD, MD, CPA, CP, VIII, esq., Sr.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:48:32 PM »
short version: this is a game. it's like sim city, but better. get it, faggot.

elongated rendition:

This game is a sandbox / god game akin to sim city. However, comparing this game to sim city is approximately akin to comparing a dip at your local YMCA's pool to a scuba diving expedition in the Great Barrier Reef. It's a goddamned deep game.

For one, instead of controlling a city en masse, via little more than assigning "zones" and watching buildings magically appear with nothing but statistics and small blue two- or three- pixel cars populating them, you control the population of a fortress right down to the individual level - dwarves have names, likes, dislikes, needs, wants, and so on, that may or may not be attended to depending on how much you care about a single dwarf. There's more to it than just babysitting a bunch of tiny alcoholics, however - your fortress will (probably not in your first few playthroughs) eventually grow to sizes of up to 50 or 60 dwarves.

But the makers of this game realize it's a daunting task to start playing with that many heads to worry about. You start out with a measly six dwarves, each of whom is vital to the fortress' survival through the first winter. Jobs should probably be focused only on the essentials - fishing and farming are preferable to soap making, for example. You don't tell single dwarfs what to do, however. Instead, you tell them what types of jobs you want them to accomplish, and they will automatically decide who does what as you assign tasks to be accomplished. For instance, you can set one dwarf's labor preferences to "armoring" and "weaponsmithing", and that dwarf will complete any armor- or weaponcrafting tasks you assign at the blacksmith's workshop you've created. In this way, you can generally just let the dwarves handle the work distribution themselves; micromanagement isn't something you have to fret over too much.

You are also, as the fortress diety, responsible for telling your little friends exactly how you want your fortress to be built. Want it to be above-ground? Your dwarves will go insane, but sure, have at it. Want nothing more than a stairway entrance into huge catacombs you've built underground, that you've littered with stonefall traps to stop invaders? Go for it. Want a gigantic, five-story wall with archers posted every few steps protecting your dwarves? Feel free. I've only scraped the surface of the depth this goes to. The game is truly the definition of a sandbox game.

Now, the downfalls. For one, the learning curve is steep. Steep as hell. I won't lie, it's tough getting started on your first fortress. But there's plenty of tutorials out there, and I've even linked one at the bottom. (The dwarf fortress wiki is also helpful, on the whole, but it contains megaspoilers, so if you want to discover the game for yourself avoid it.)

For two, the interface is a bit... lacking. The developer has stated that implementing a very sweet graphical interface is not very high up on the priority list. As such, our eyes are treated to the sensational delight that is ASCII graphics. Fear not, however. There are a number of tilesets people have made that make the game give your eyes less AIDS, that can be easily downloaded and installed. Instructions are included in the link below.

Despite these drawbacks, however, the game is impressively immense, and if you have the attention span to get through the first half hour to and hour of figuring everything out and like god games, you'll love it.

By the way, it's free.

SUP RESOURCES:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ - official site, complete with download links
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets - tilesets for the game. instructions included with most sets.

two tutorials in the wiki. I prefer this one because the other one tells you some silly things, but this one's illustrated, which is very helpful.

I'm also open to any questions.

tl;dr:
OH GOD LONG WALLS OF TEXT WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:02:31 AM »
Neat, I should try this, after I finish playing through Cave Story.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

vladgd

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:59:55 AM »
will read HUGE BLOCK OF TEXT later, but i tried playing this, several times.  i want to like it, even with the wiki...i can't figure it out.

the learning curve is non existant, it is just a bigass brick wall, and if you don't research the game beforehand, you are pretty much screwed.

maby when i get a better attention span i will give it another try, because it looks fuckawesome if you manage to get over that wall.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Interesting. I'll check it out.

Also: ROFL @ world map in ASCII. My head hurts slightly more than it already did now.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
I've seen links to Dwarf Fortress before, and it does look really neat, but after noticing that it is virtually impossible to play on a laptop without Fn-whoring I decided to wait until I can get back to my desktoppy system.

I did find out recently that it's possible to remap the keys relatively easy (insert animated GIF of me kicking my own ass here) but since I'll be back to my fun widdle tower tomorrow (YES, I'M GOING BACK TO MARYLAND, SHARDE) I'll just give it a go then.
"This is a machine for making cows."

tehngion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
You're going tomorrow? sadface. I never did get to actually meet you, sir. Though I heard you kids had fun at gamewerks.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
Man, I have to compliment you on your Avatar, tehngion. I just can't get over how great that is, lol.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 11:22:50 PM »
You're going tomorrow? sadface. I never did get to actually meet you, sir. Though I heard you kids had fun at gamewerks.

Oh...I've been in Ohio for the past two weeks, actually.  I left Florida on the 29th.  Sowwy. =(

tehngion

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 01:10:06 AM »
Oh...I've been in Ohio for the past two weeks, actually.  I left Florida on the 29th.  Sowwy. =(

The loop:     O

myself:                                      :x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
S'alright.  I didn't exactly document my trip, so whatev. :)

vladgd

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 02:58:33 AM »
NECRO BUMP

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

link contains awesome tileset(as well as the game, its like 3mb total, olol), i may sometime in the hopefully near future start trying to understand this game soon.

not that the original graphics are "bad" (i mean, they aren't even graphics per say) its just when i can't tell the difference between say a cat and a weed on the ground, theres a problem.  i mean, the learning curve is already a BIG BRICK FUCKING WALL as is, and having graphics that are easy to understand, make this BIG BRICK FUCKING WALL slightly smaller.

like i could watch somebody play, and it wouldn't be any different for me than say watching my pc boot up.

anyway, hope y'all enjoy.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 03:11:10 AM »
Huh, that does look pretty ne-

...wait...

Note three: DFG REQUIRES A VERTICAL SCREEN RESOLUTION OF AT LEAST 1280 PIXELS!

Well, that probably just eliminated 99.5% of all Dwarf Fortress players, barring monitor rotation (which I don't really want to do to use this).

vladgd

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 03:41:10 AM »
its 2008

who doesn't AT LEAST run off from 1280x1024?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 04:31:46 AM »
Read it again: DFG requires a vertical screen resolution of at least 1280 pixels.

The most you can generally buy at a store max out at 1920x1200 and those are expensive (between $500 and $600).  1920x1440 displays are very rare, as are gigantic (and extremely expensive) 2560x1600 displays.

I hope that was a typo on their end because, like I said, that would eliminate 99.5% of all Dwarf Fortress players.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:54:13 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that too, and went "what the fuck, are they fucking serious?" My next thought was to go "well, I'll download it and run it to see if they meant horizontal and made a typo. I haven't run it yet.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x