Author Topic: The Future of P2P  (Read 7354 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
The Future of P2P
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »
I know we have another thread about Comcast, but I thought it would be cool if we had a thread about this subject, it seems to become more and more of an issue as time goes on. But anyway, yeah, I just thougt it would be cool. Maybe you'll think so too. Feel free to put in your own links

Some links:

Comcast, Cox slow BitTorrent traffic around the clock, study finds
http://www.itworld.com/Net/2607/comcast-cox-slowing-p2p-traffic-080515/index.html

Judge Says First-Ever RIAA Piracy Trial May Need a Do-Over

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/05/jammie-thomas-n.html

Edit:

All:

Comcast invests in P2P video-delivery startup
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_on_hi_te/cable_show_comcast_p2p;_ylt=Aq2z2fO6GiVyJvUWTFL9VGas0NUE

Comcast invests in P2P video-delivery startup
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_on_hi_te/cable_show_comcast_p2p;_ylt=Aq2z2fO6GiVyJvUWTFL9VGas0NUE

Verizon, Comcast Say They Are P2P Friendly
http://www.contentinople.com/author.asp?section_id=603&doc_id=154410

Four Indicted in Pirate Bay Case
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7219802.stm

Cubit, an Azureus plugin for trackerless torrent searching.
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~bwong/cubit/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 05:55:51 PM by Zakamiro »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: The Future of P2P
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »
Yeah, I saw both of those earlier.

What's worse about this is that cable companies have a virtual monopoly on broadband Internet access.  I have no choice but to use Comcast where I'm at, and it really blows.  Going back to my parent's (slower!) DSL connection is like heaven because they don't cap usage and it's plenty fast enough to handle a couple of torrents or whatever I throw at it.

I want FiOS so freaking bad.
"This is a machine for making cows."

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
I don't know much about in-depth P2P, but doesn't good encryption get around throttling?

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 12:55:48 AM »
No; throttling can (and is, in many cases) applied to any traffic that passes through, regardless of what it is.

Also, encryption doesn't completely hide the nature of the BitTorrent protocol.  BT has several unique traits, namely a lot of connections on a single port, or a small bank of ports, not to mention traffic flowing both ways followed by traffic suddenly becoming all outgoing when the person becomes a seeder.  This is the big thing, and this is what triggers "solutions" like SandVine to start sending RSTs to disrupt traffic -- right when it sees you go from downloading and uploading on a port to simply uploading, it tries to shut you down.

I don't even need to go into why this is far less ethical than your average individual's use of P2P networks.  Companies like Comcast, Cox, Rogers, etc, choose to ignore the numerous legal uses of BitTorrent.  BT has the potential to save free projects thousands of dollars of bandwidth fees.  Many Linux distributions actually rely on having seeded torrents because they cannot afford hosting out-of-pocket for free projects (when distributions get larger, of course, things change, but my point still stands -- Gentoo, Fedora, Ubuntu, and many of the other major distributions encourage BitTorrent use).

I swear, the Democrats had better get elected and they'd better fucking support net neutrality.  Especially Obama; if he gets into and doesn't start lobbying for it I'm going to be highly pissed off.

vladgd

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:01:32 AM »
a good example of a large scale LEGAL bittorent use is say WoW patches.  not that blizzard can't afford the bandwidth, but it saves them money regardless.

anyway, i don't use comcast so i guess its not an issue to me.  (yet)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »
Reading that second article, I've noticed something pretty ridiculous.

I agree that making available is not the same as infringing, but the act of making the available files into an offense by downloading them is VERY close to Entrapment. If it wasn't for the fact that MediaSentry is run by the RIAA, that would fall under entrapment.

I also like the point made about permission:
He added that the downloads MediaSentry made should not count against her client. "In order to infringe somebody, you have to infringe on them without their permission."

That is a pretty good point. I don't know the exact writing of the law here, so that might be a bit of a stretch, but if anywhere in that law mentions "without permission" then that could possibly save Jammie.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:51 AM »

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 07:30:42 AM »
I wonder what ISP "friendly" means? In my experience, there's no way to make filesharing "friendly" to an ISP without capping it or limiting the amount of time that people can leave their filesharing applications open, both of which I don't think that an ISP has a right to try to do.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:05:55 PM »
The article says only one thing to me: Comcast is trying to cover their ass and make PR look good. "No, no! We don't hate P2P... Look! We're making more P2P, not blocking it!"

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »
It's not quite that bad. I think comcast has the idea that not only can they get that effect, but they might actually be able to create a P2P system that doesn't fuck them over so much, which means that either 1) they get better PR, because the idea never really takes off, 2) they set a precedent and the idea of ISP friendly P2P takes off, and more systems like that come out eventually, or 3) the idea actually works, and ISP friendly P2P takes off. However, in each of those situations, they still manage to look better, because of the attempt at better PR.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
The ass-covering ensues:

Verizon, Comcast Say They Are P2P Friendly
http://www.contentinople.com/author.asp?section_id=603&doc_id=154410

Four Indicted in Pirate Bay Case
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7219802.stm

Cubit, an Azureus plugin for trackerless torrent searching.
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~bwong/cubit/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 06:40:59 PM »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:48 PM »
NO ONE CAN BE TRUSTED, FUCK.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
I SO want the FCC to fuck Comcast up. Alas, that is likely not going to happen anywhere near as much as I might want it (they have told Comcast to stop breaching Net Neutrality by breaking up bittorrent downloads with their reset packets, but even that was not a very forceful way of putting things)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:25 AM »
(they have told Comcast to stop breaching Net Neutrality by breaking up bittorrent downloads with their reset packets, but even that was not a very forceful way of putting things)

For the record, Comcast has actually stopped sending out RST packets (iptables hasn't blocked a single one over here in quite a while).