0 (0%)
Mr. Game & Watch
2 (5.3%)
Marth
2 (5.3%)
Roy
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: SUPER!! SMASH!! BROTHERRRRS!!  (Read 106253 times)

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
Re: SUPER!! SMASH!! BROTHERRRRS!!
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Yeah, FD is really, really boring to me. I like stages where there are a lot of places to jump around. Of course, I like using Toon Link and pelting people with bombs, arrows, my boomerang, and any items I pick up while staying out of their reach (a.k.a. running away while throwing stuff). In other words, I don't do well in FD, but I do fine in Battlefield.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:34:42 PM by Marvis Mongoldique »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »
Bah, I hate people who do that. My brother did that all the time when we played Melee. He was always young link and did that. Why is it always Toon/Young Link that does that? Is it because he's useless in 1 on 1 combat?

But I shouldn't complain too much, I use shield dodging, midair dodges, and marth's general aerial style to dodge people and do hit and run type tactics while fighting them. However, I don't do it in a cowardly way running away. Of course, that would account for me usually having 200+% damage before being killed (getting bet on while I'm beating on the enemy, as opposed to doing damage from a distance without being hurt.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »
It's how he's played, he's a ranged fighter. That's why he has bombs, a boomerang, and arrows.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2008, 06:23:50 AM »
Of course, his physical attacks are also pretty good. Not quite as strong as some other characters, but I should remind you that he can easily hold his own against most characters (except maybe the powerhouses) in a straight up physical 1 on 1 battle. The only characters I've encountered that honestly require ranged damage are characters like Jigglypuff, that are so damned weak and light that they simply cannot do much in battle. I think Game and Watch and Jigglypuff and Pikachu (ot a much lesser extent) are about the only characters in Melee that honestly require someone to fight ranged.

Other than that, it's more or less based on the player's tendencies. In Melee, Marth is a pretty good all around fighter, but I always use him in a hit and rus fashion, constantly attacking my opponent and dodging and getting out of the way when they try to retaliate. I could fight them in a straight up physical blow for blow type scenario and I could likely give just about any character a run for their money, but I simply prefer my style of fighting.

When I play as link/any link version, I make extensive use of bombs (because they are a great way to set traps and piss people off and do good damage quickly), I don't use arrows, because they're fucking useless at close range, boomerangs are kinda useful, because they can interrupt someone who isn't watching you closely enough and give you a chance to attack them, but the rest of what I use is physical attacks. The link characters are useful when it comes to doing damage and knocking your opponent down, or away.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2008, 09:47:17 AM »
Is it because he's useless in 1 on 1 combat?

He's not useless in 1-on-1. In fact, he's better in 1-on-1 than against larger groups because he doesn't have melee attacks. His side-smash has a second hit that has assloads of kickback, so I basically rack up damage and move in for the kill. I've managed to beat all of the characters as level-9s pretty easily using Toon Link, including powerhouses like Ganondorf and Ike.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »
That was my whole point, if you read my next post. The link characters are actually very well suited for close quarters combat. Unless your character simply cannot dish out any decent damage, and is incredibly light, you're going to be able to use them as 1 on 1 fighters. There's no reason to use a Link character only for being a coward, it's just how you want to play him as.

Of course, when it comes down to 1 on 1, most people can't keep that whole "pelt people with bombs and arrows" crap going very well, or at least, when it comes down to 1v1 against me, since I've gotten pretty damned good at dodging crap like that (not so much in a large battle, because I'm more concerned about actually hitting the other people than dodging weak crap that someone playing a link is throwing at me).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2008, 04:33:31 AM »
uhhh, got SSB in the mail, didnt work with the n64 at first, turns out it did. also turns out the original owner was a ness fag, judging by the stats.

now its time for friends to come over for drunken SSB brawling.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »
Lmao dude, you can play a crazy rushdown with Jigglypuff if you know how.

Also: Main switched to Ike and G&W. I started sucking with Zelda for some reason.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »
That was my whole point, if you read my next post. The link characters are actually very well suited for close quarters combat. Unless your character simply cannot dish out any decent damage, and is incredibly light, you're going to be able to use them as 1 on 1 fighters. There's no reason to use a Link character only for being a coward, it's just how you want to play him as.

Of course, when it comes down to 1 on 1, most people can't keep that whole "pelt people with bombs and arrows" crap going very well

Yup, I mostly used link for close quarters in melee. Also slight derailment, but I just played online with a few friended people, and it ended up with me and the room host being the only ones running around while these other 2 guys stayed at either side of the stage and spammed attacks, it mostly ended with me and said host dying first (playing for fun in a FFA, who would have guessed?) while the other 2 continued to camp the side so they couldn't be attacked from the back and spammed projectiles.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 29, 2008, 03:15:26 AM »
double post for AWESOME.

So I played a friend whom I haven't seen in a while, he mains lucario and I've never played a good Lucario before. So, we play 2 round, both no items FD and I play as Kirby, who I practically main. We had some close rounds, but he still beats me. So I figure I'd bust out king Dedede, and shortly after I won with 1 stock and about 50 damage. Next I go for snake (whom I haven't played as much, but like) and I end up winning again. Either Luc can kick ass against light weights, or I'm just not as good with kirby as I thought. Maybe I should stick with them heavies.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
It's also how you play the character. Lights generally are a lot more maneuverable and can get in and out quickly for hit-and-run tactics. People who try to play shot for shit with a light generally get their ass kicked quickly unless they are damn good with the shield, dodging, and positioning themselves in places they can't be knocked off in.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »
I use Toon Link for hit-and-run a lot. I've gotten really good at aiming the boomerang. My friend that I usually play uses Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Luigi, Meta Knight, Ness, or Samus. It's funny whenever he uses Ganondorf and we end up at New Pork because he keeps trying to chase me and fails to while I taunt him with my projectiles.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2008, 12:08:02 PM »
I actually tend to play heavily melee (well, heavily melee mixed in with areal hit and run) with weak characters. I've gotten half-decent at figuring out exactly when to shield-dodge away and stuff.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »
People who try to play shot for shit with a light generally get their ass kicked quickly unless they are damn good with the shield, dodging, and positioning themselves in places they can't be knocked off in.

No clue what shot for shit means, but I can't really play hit and run against Luc. Every time I give him the chance he charges his charge attack. So I have to constantly charge him, but I'm rather good at combos with kirby.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #284 on: June 29, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
Shot for shot...

And if someone's charging, you drop down in front of them and use the shield-dodge to get behind them and smack them from behind...

Kirby is great for combos. But you really need to watch out for his up-a melee attack on ground, and his throws. His throws are absolutely deadly.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x