The Chatterbox > Computing

Getting something to compute with

<< < (2/6) > >>

Spectere:
Gonna hack away at your post and leave the links of the parts I recommend. :)

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---Figure I'll update this thing. Set on a living room desktop setup, going to figure out logistics later, but brainstorming parts atm.

Video card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MC23VS4/?coliid=I2UD30X4JTV8H&colid=3CLVULCML3QQF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
--- End quote ---

This is a bit of a tentative recommendation, as I'm really not too familiar with AMD's GPU line. About all I do know about it is that my laptop has an AMD dedicated GPU and somehow their drivers are somehow even more awful than they used to be. The real kicker is that my laptop has a FirePro (their workstation line) and the drivers for those are supposed to be more stable. Yeah, not so much. It's not a bad performer for what it is (dunno about the ones you linked) but the Catalyst Control Center is such an awful piece of software that I wouldn't even consider purchasing hardware from them until they ditch it altogether.

I would definitely say that the 2060 would be a better prospect than the 1050 Ti. There was a pretty good performance bump between this generation and the last, so that would buy you a bit more time until your next GPU upgrade.

If you can find a used 1080 Ti at a reasonable price, that would be a very good option. A lot of those were dumped on eBay when the 2080 Ti came out, courtesy of people who decided to upgrade before third-party benchmarks were even released. Some of them were obviously pulled from cryptocoin mining rigs, but you can generally tell the gaming and mining focused cards apart based on the lot size.

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---HDD
SSD

--- End quote ---

This one's kinda tricky. Depending on what you want to do, 1TB isn't going to get you very far. For games that need a lot of storage (like FFXV) the load times would get pretty outrageous on a hard drive, too.

What I would do is go with a 1TB NVMe SSD and, when that starts to fill up, pick another one (or two) up. It'll be a bit more money up front for less storage, but I guarantee you'll be a lot happier with it.

When I built my current system I ended up putting three 500GB 960 EVOs in it and ended up running out of space surprisingly quickly. The problem was that because I didn't have any available slots my only upgrade option was to do an expensive replacement. In my case I was able to upgrade my laptop with one of the old 500GB sticks, but you're not going to have the option to do something like that.

I would only recommend an HDD nowadays if you have a lot of data and you don't need to access it very quickly. Even a relatively cheap SATA SSD (I upgraded the 1TB HDD in my laptop to a 1TB 870 EVO for ~$130) is generally going to be a better option.

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---PSU
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N18J52E/?coliid=I33M37YKNG08RA&colid=3CLVULCML3QQF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

--- End quote ---

Looks good to me! I'm running a Corsair semi-modular PSU in my current rig, actually. :)

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---Case

--- End quote ---

Obviously this is largely personal preference. I will say that mid-towers nowadays are a lot easier to fiddle with than the ones from 10 years ago, but they're never going to be as versatile as a full tower.

I notice that the ones you linked have tempered glass sides. Those are wonderful and handle case lighting very nicely (my current tower is basically a metal shell with tempered glass on all sides) but bear in mind that they do add quite a bit of weight. Totally worth it, IMO.

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---MOBO
CPU

--- End quote ---

Sticking with the $220 budget, I'd either go with the Ryzen 5 2600X ($190; fewer cores, better performance per-core) or the Ryzen 7 2700 ($220; more cores, slightly worse performance per-core). Get the former if you mostly plan to game, get the latter if you plan to stream.

If you don't mind spending a bit more money up-front, the Ryzen 7 2700X costs $290 and will beat both of those in anything you throw at it.

As far as the motherboard is concerned, the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F looks like a solid choice. I've been hearing not-so-good thing sabout Gigabyte's QC process lately, and I can't say that I'm really blown away by my ASRock (it sure surprised me, but not exactly in a particularly good way), so ASUS it is!

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---RAM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075TQS5QP/?coliid=I3TAYAC9PP2FRV&colid=3CLVULCML3QQF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006EWUO22/?coliid=I3LT2ZDEQUS97W&colid=3CLVULCML3QQF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Cheaper than I remember, but not too picky, I just need 16gb of something decent.
--- End quote ---

Both of those look solid, but I'd go with the latter simply because the order would actually be fulfilled by Amazon. My experience with third-party sellers hasn't been the greatest (read: I'm spoiled by Prime).

--- Quote from: vladgd on March 26, 2019, 10:32:06 PM ---I wanna say that's everything? Making this post to consolidate everything and fine tune my parts to hopefully get something built in a month.

--- End quote ---

The only additional thing you may want to consider is some sort of optical drive, but those are becoming increasingly irrelevant nowadays.

Bobbias:
lol optical drive.

daemon tools and usb sticks/sd card readers have effectively made optical drives obsolete. Well, that and reasonable internet speeds.

Spectere:
Yeah, but discs didn't just suddenly go away as a result of that. I still use them a fair amount (recently installed Diablo 1 from CD--why rebuy it if I don't have to?), though I've switched to just using a single USB optical drive for convenience sake.

Besides, you have to be able to feed Daemon Tools (or Windows 8/8.1/10, for that matter--its ISO reader seems to work pretty well for basic stuff) with an image, and nowadays it's far safer to just rip your own disc rather than torrenting it. Last time I torrented an old game to save myself the trouble of ripping it I ended up getting a nastygram in the mail from my ISP…sigh.

I've also been trying to image and back up my old DOS games, since I don't want to be the victim of disc rot (I have a retro PC, so I can still play DOS/Win9X titles natively).

Also: Tool doesn't do digital distribution and their fifth album is due to come out this year. How else am I going to rip that? :P

vladgd:
'Scuse the absense, not a lot of free time now a days.

Anywho, thinking of ordering in 2-3 batches to make the wallet sting less.

First batch being case, mobo, cpu, aftermarket heatsink, and...maybe a psu, though I could probably delay the cpu. Figure the first order would be the most annoying stuff (installing the cpu and aftermarket heatsink) first. Then the second order would be plugging in power/plugging in components.

Looking at that mobo you recommended, and I get scared really fast when multiple people say there's bugs with the thing, so I'm a little sketch on the one you recommended. Might look around a little bit, I am usually hesitant before purchasing any given part on a machine I'll likely use over 5 years. Anything in particular I should be looking for/be warry of?

Spectere:
You really have to take negative component reviews with a grain of salt, because nine times out of ten it's someone who 1) straight up broke the thing, 2) refuses to RMA a board that's dead out of the box, 3) overclock the shit out of their components and wonder why they're running into stability issues, or 4) didn't read the manual. Also, consider the fact that people are generally more likely to leave a review if they run into issues. Seeing a 4.1/5.0 star review for a piece of hardware is actually really good. Plus, I know at least half a dozen people who have been running a variety of different ASUS boards for years with zero issues (myself included--my current system is using an ASRock board and I'm planning on replacing it with an ASUS ROG Strix board within a year due to some Linux-related issues I've experienced with the ASRock piece).

One of my friends also reported smooth sailing with their MSI board, so they seem to be another decent choice. I don't really have a huge sample set to pull from, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version