The Chatterbox > Gaming

The Backlog, 2020 edition

(1/6) > >>

vladgd:
1. Dragon Warrior 2 (gbc)

Remember that time back in April where I beat Dragon Warrior, well there was two games on this gbc cart, and that meant only 1 of the two were completed. Can't have that now can we, new year, new list.

Not a bad game, but also from what im reading, one of the least enjoyed dragon quest games. Most of my enjoyment comes from seeing it as a history piece more than anything, the game was made in 87 after all(year older than me!). Have an actual party unlike the first game, but levels are permanently off throughout the entire game, the princess for example was almost 10 levels lower than the main character by endgame. Albeit I think they knew this and while levels were off, they felt more or less balanced with eachother.

I ain't gonna nitpick the game to death, it is pretty flawed, but taking it for what it is, a very very old jrpg, it's worth checking out. If you had to play one out of the two though, i'd recommend the first one. It may not be as flashy or have much substance to it, but it's simple, short, and not too hard, easy to blow through in a few sessions. 2 on the other hand requires quite a lot of grinding to get through, and probably a few various maps and guides just to make heads or tales of where to go.

Since I do want to beat...all...of the dragon quest games, this was necessary in order to unlock the privlidge of playing the game I've been wanting to play since damn near middle school, dragon warrior 3 on the gbc. I finally aquired a copy used game hunting a few months ago, and now that I beat 2, 3 is on the table...for another time...have another game in mind for the next romp.

Hopefully I can finish #2 before the end of the month, as it marks warcraft 3 reforged, one of the best games ever, and one...I haven't beat!

Before I end this post, I was playing around with the idea of having a "bounty" list or a "priority games" list, backlogged games that I've put a little too much time and or thought into over the years that just gotta get completed. Not sure I want to bloat this thread with MODERATE SIZED LIST OF VIDYA every other post, or just have a link somewhere where I can keep track of it. Since I have no plan, I'll just list a few off the top of my head, shrink the text to keep it clean, and add to it as more games come to mind while thinking of a better way to place/format it. And the list doesn't really have an effect on what I'll do next, since that's just 100% based on what I want to play at that particular time, more of a goal with no time limit.

-final fantasy x-2
-zelda majoras mask
-tomba!
-banjo tooie
-metal gear solid 5
-brave fencer musashi
-star fox adventures

Another year another list, hello 2020!

vladgd:
2. Nier Automata

Heard nothing but good things, two friends called it their goty of said year, I really like bayonetta and it's from the same people with similar looking combat, really wanted to play the game...

Didn't like it at all, couldn't make it to 6 hours played without throwing in the towel. Besides the interesting story/characters, I think the game is outright bad, and I can't understand how it's so critically praised. I may slog through it in the future, because I really do WANT to like the game, but it's just too damn tedious/boring to play. More annoyed I wasted $30 on the game than anything.

2. Dragon Quest Builders 2

I'm not a minecraft guy, I'm not one that plays those endless building games that don't end, but while this game can be that, for the most part, it isn't.

It's a game with a beginning, and an end(with a postgame where you can endless build with objectives and whatnot if you so choose), with a story and characters, it's a legit dragon quest spinoff game.

Funny I just beat Dragon Quest 2, and come into this because it may not say, but this game is a psuedo sequel to that game. Many many MANY references to dq2, like the main antagonist to random items, characters, the bullshit hard cave at the end of dq2 being described as "it may be called this, but most people just call it hell".

It's really damn good and I couldn't put it down till I seen credits. If mass effect andromeda is game pacing gone wrong, this game always keeps you engaged with something to do for the entire length of the game, of which it is pretty long.

I ain't doing postgame endless building since I aint into that, but I had a blast playing through the story from start to finish.

vladgd:
3. SteamWorld Dig

Umm, I really didn't expect to post so soon...

This game has been something I wanted to play for a while. I think I tried it out last year on pc? But I really couldnt into keyboard controls, and I couldn't get a pad working, so I gave up.

Then I picked it up on a switch sale recently for super cheap, and now that I finished builders, decided to give it a romp...under 5 hours later, I beat it. Short game.

I had been thinking of a game called miner dig deep, which this game is kinda similar too, albeit with actual combat and more "metroidey" vibes. But it's a fun little game that doesn't overstay it's welcome, although the last level is a bit tedious, overall it's a good time. Might snag the sequel when the Easter sales hit.

Spectere:

--- Quote from: vladgd on January 21, 2020, 11:52:11 AM ---2. Nier Automata

Heard nothing but good things, two friends called it their goty of said year, I really like bayonetta and it's from the same people with similar looking combat, really wanted to play the game...

Didn't like it at all, couldn't make it to 6 hours played without throwing in the towel. Besides the interesting story/characters, I think the game is outright bad, and I can't understand how it's so critically praised.

--- End quote ---

Curious, as I actually enjoyed N:A's gameplay. The combat certainly wasn't as intricate as Bayonetta but it felt solid enough.

What issues did you have with it?

vladgd:
A few things. Feel free to step in if im taking something minor as a dealbreaker.

"this game contains NO AUTOSAVES THIS IS A FEATURE!"

yeah just fuck that in a game where enemies can one shot me. It isn't cute, I don't care if it's tied in to the story, it's horseshit. It's 2020, I don't like redoing shit because of a cheap death. I'm sure defenders of the game wanna know "where are you getting one shot? I NEVER HAD THAT ISSUE" well, i do, and various enemies in the sidequests are outright deadly, what's it those axe guys one shot me. I understand dodging and whatnot, but I make a mistake here and there, and going back to my last manual save, it's shitty, it feels shitty, and It makes me want to play something else, So I did.

The "open world" lacks direction, feels empty, I feel obligated to do the sidequests so I'm not underleveled (and in the short time I played, I was underleveled after doing a main quest or two), but they're not fun at all to play. I would have more fun if the open world didn't exist, and it played in a series of levels.

Main thing, I want to beat the game and move on, but this is a game where you gotta beat it THREE FUCKIN TIMES.

yeah, that's a big fat no, and disrespectful to the players time honestly. I wouldn't have quit if I knew I could get to the end and be done with it, but not only does getting to the end only get me 1/3 of the way there, I won't be playing 2b which was a real factor in my purchase because...yknow...look at her...shut up I do what I want, I WANTED TO PLAY AS HOT ROBO WAIFU WHOM IVE SEEN ALL THE ARTS AND COSPLAYS FOR IM AN ADULT I MAKE MY OWN CHOICES

Mostly feeling frustrated, confused, and bored at the same time, with the knowledge I need to beat the game 3 times, and 2 of those times I'm not even the character I bought the game to play as...it was too much for me. AND AND AND AND I REALLY WANTED TO LIKE THE GAME, it's not like I went into the game like whatever, I wanted to like it, so when I was disappointed, it hit harder than if I didn't really care in the first place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version